Menu

Books Books More Books

kahlanne

I am trying desperately to finish my Christmas shopping for the kiddos and probing your book lists' favorites would probably be the greatest help. So without hesitation....

If you could only have one book in each category, what would it be? You can list two if you have a different favorite for the sexes but please specify.

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet

2. Beginning reader

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades

4. Upper middle grades through early high school

5.  Upper High School through College age

6. Adult Women

7. Adult Men

8. Favorite Nonfiction book

Edited to add....

9. Can't wait to read/purchase

Edited by kahlanne

I am trying desperately to finish my Christmas shopping for the kiddos and probing your book lists' favorites would probably be the greatest help. So without hesitation....

If you could only have one book in each category, what would it be? You can list two if you have a different favorite for the sexes but please specify.

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet  Click Clack Moo by Doreen Cronin

2. Beginning reader  Little Bear by Else Holmelund

2 1/2.  Lower Elementary  Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades  Theodore Boone by John Grisham (a series, but the books are mostly stand-alone) or Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

4. Upper middle grades through early high school  William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

5.  Upper High School through College age  The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

6. Adult Women  Dee Henderson's O'Malley Series (if only one book:  Danger in the Shadows)

7. Adult Men   :confused1:   I wish I knew...  :lol:

Edited to add....

This is all I can think of for now...

• Like 2

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet: Sandra Boynton books (my favorite is Blue Hat, Green Hat). ETA: Those books are for toddlers. If you're looking more for read-alouds for 4 to 5 year olds, I'd suggest the Mr. Putter and Tabby books or Three Tales of My Father's Dragon.

2. Beginning reader: Richard Scarry books (any of them, but you could start with The Best Word Book Ever). ETA: the Mr. Putter & Tabby books would work here too.

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades: The Mysterious Benedict Society books or the Rick Riordan books.

4. Upper middle grades through early high school: Harry Potter or The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear.

5.  Upper High School through College age: A Tale for the Time Being or Middlesex.

6. Adult Women: Cloud Atlas or Bel Canto.

7. Adult Men: No Country for Old Men or The Martian.

8. Favorite Nonfiction book: Into Thin Air or Ghenghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World.

Edited to add....

9. Can't wait to read/purchase: ?? maybe a book gift card so the person can pick out something new. (For me, it's A General Theory of Oblivion.)

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 2

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet The Tiger Who Came to Tea

2. Beginning reader 

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades - The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (first book in a trilogy)

4. Upper middle grades through early high school - The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

5.  Upper High School through College age - depending on age/maturity - Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (first book in a trilogy)

6. Adult Women - February by Lisa Moore

7. Adult Men - The Illegal by Lawrence Hill

8. Favorite Nonfiction book - The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking

Edited to add....

9. Can't wait to read/purchase Daydreams of Angels by Heather O'Neil

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet: Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm 

2. Beginning reader: Harry the Dirty Dog

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

4. Upper middle grades through early high school: Watership Down

5.  Upper High School through College age Pro-Life Answers to Pro-Choice Arguments by Randy Alcorn (or the shorter version, Why Pro-Life?)

8. Favorite Nonfiction book: All Creatures Great and Small (I know it's somewhat fictionalized, but it's based on real events)

Hard to pick favorites from so many books we've loved through the years, but below are some we've really enjoyed. 

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet Fireman Small   

2. Beginning reader Goodnight, Good Knight 

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades Harry Potter

4. Upper middle grades through early high school Ender's Game (guys), Graceling (girls 8th grade and up)

5.  Upper High School through College age The History of the World According to Facebook (warning--includes language and irreverence) and/or The Lord of the Rings

6. Adult Women First We Have Coffee by Margaret Jensen (out of print, but there are used copies available)

7. Adult Men Unless I fancied something else to dust, I'd only buy a book for adult males in my circle if they specifically requested it. I'd be more apt to go with a magazine subscription. 

8. Favorite Nonfiction book Sorry, I'm really a failure at choosing a favorite here. Some I've really liked: The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University, Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood,  Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers, and Flight: My Life in Mission Control. 

Edited to add....

9. Can't wait to read/purchase Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 1

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet: If they're old enough to sit through something lengthy, then I favor Raising Dragons or Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm. If they're really very little, then go with Max Found Two Sticks.

2. Beginning reader: If they're VERY beginning, anything Elephant and Piggie! If they're a little less beginning, then Ling and Ting: Not Exactly the Same or Frog and Toad.

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades: Year of the Dog (realistic) or Earthsea (fantasy).

4. Upper middle grades through early high school: Vodnik (urban fantasy), Hammer of Witches (historic fantasy), or The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm (fantasy mixed with futurism and sci-fi). If you want a little less fantasy, try Celeste's Harlem Renaissance or Bud, Not Buddy.

5.  Upper High School through College age: I'm really liking Stranger right now, by Rachel Manija.

6 and 7. Adults: Imperial Radch trilogy (space opera) or The Dispossessed (more thinky sci-fi).

8. Nonfiction:  Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers or The Thing With Feathers.

9. Can't wait to read: Trying now to work my way through Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but I keep getting distracted or interrupted, so I have to start over. I'd love to get more than a little bit in before something in the house breaks or I have to cook something!

As you can see, my reading list skews heavily towards speculative fiction :)

I don't encourage my loved ones to divide books up by girl books and boy books.

Edited by Tanaqui

This is kind of a fun game!  

I would go for classics.

1.  Not able to read:  books by Peter Spier.  I love this one especially. http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Spiers-Rain-Spier/dp/0385154844/ref=sr_1_9_twi_cas_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449892273&sr=1-9&keywords=peter+spier

2.  Beginning to read:  Henry and Mudge books by Cynthia Rylant

3.  Upper Elementary through Middle School:  Penderwicks or books by E. Nesbitt or Edgar Eager.

4.  Middle Grades through Early High School:  Gregor the Overlander, Narnia books

5.  Upper High school through College:  More Lewis, To Kill a Mockingbird

6.  Adult Women:  a classic edition of Austen or Gaskell or Bronte.  Actually Gaskell wrote a great biography of her friend Charlotte Bronte.  OR!  Beverly Cleary wrote two really wonderful memoirs.

7.  Adult Men:  my husband loves great biographies, so anything by David McCullough or Walter Isaacson

8.  Nonfiction:  The Last Resort (about a guy growing up in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe and how his parents coped with the civil war - absolutely amazing story!) or The Boys in the Boat

9.  I'm sad because I realize that I don't have a book I am excited to read right now.  I got nothing for this category.   

• Like 1

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet Andrew Henry's Meadow

2. Beginning reader Milly-Molly-Mandy

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades The Hobbit (Although my two oldest just devoured the Ranger's Apprentice books)

4. Upper middle grades through early high school The Moon-spinners

5.  Upper High School through College age A Tale of Two Cities

6. Adult Women Pride and Prejudice

7. Adult Men All Things Bright and Beautiful

8. Favorite Nonfiction book The Knowledge Deficit

Edited to add....

9. Can't wait to read/purchase Robert Ingpen's new edition of A Christmas Carol

I could fill this out dozens of times with different answers, though.

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet - Poke-A-Dot or Zoom, depending on age

2. Beginning reader Amelia Bedelia

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades The Phantom Tollbooth

4. Upper middle grades through early high school Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

5.  Upper High School through College age A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

6. Adult Women Outlander or The Princess Bride

7. Adult Men The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

8. Favorite Nonfiction book His Excellency, George Washington

9. Can't wait to read/purchase Wishful Drinking (Carrie Fisher)

1. Not yet able to read on their own yet   

2. Beginning reader

3. Upper elementary through early middle grades

4. Upper middle grades through early high school

5.  Upper High School through College age

6. Adult Women

7. Adult Men

Edited to add....

1. Not reading on own: No David

2. Beginning reader: Frog and Toad books and My Father's Dragon series