Menu

Visiting a Montessori preK tomorrow

Is there anything in particular I should ask about?

I know to ask about policies on health emergencies, teacher turn-around, how behavior is handled, what I can expect as a daily/weekly report, what is expected of my child and I want to make sure there will be no daily TV viewing (this may be a deal-breaker). I don't mind an occasional movie but I don't want to pay someone else to sit my children in front of a tv, kwim?

Would it be offensive if I ask how often they sanitize their toys? How long ds4's potential teacher has worked there? About her educational background? If the employees have criminal background checks?

Yeah, I'm not nervous or anything...

Oh and would you consider Montessori preschools liberal?

After I told FIL that we want to try preschool for ds4 (he's paying which is why he's involved), I told him that his choice (the UMC PreK) is booked with a waiting list and my 2nd choice would be the Montessori. He called the Catholic church prek himself to see if there was an opening after I said I chose the Montessori. Thank goodness it was booked too b/c I would have had to say something. Small urgh but still grateful. I just don't understand the whole liberal thing.

Jessica,

Have you read anything about the Montessori method? I think you would be very impressed with this form of education. I actually did a term paper on Maria Montessori in my Philosophy of Education class in college. Everything is "hands on" and active.

It is guided by the philosophy that children teach themselves. The children have a "prepared environment" in which children can freely choose from a number of developmentally appropriate activities. Learning is done through all 5 senses. If the school is truly implementing the whole Montessori method, I bet you will be very pleased! Sheesh, I'm excited for D.

I know to ask about policies on health emergencies, teacher turn-around, how behavior is handled, what I can expect as a daily/weekly report, what is expected of my child and I want to make sure there will be no daily TV viewing (this may be a deal-breaker). I don't mind an occasional movie but I don't want to pay someone else to sit my children in front of a tv, kwim?

After I told FIL that we want to try preschool for ds4 (he's paying which is why he's involved), I told him that his choice (the UMC PreK) is booked with a waiting list and my 2nd choice would be the Montessori. He called the Catholic church prek himself to see if there was an opening after I said I chose the Montessori. Thank goodness it was booked too b/c I would have had to say something. Small urgh but still grateful. I just don't understand the whole liberal thing.

Your questions are spot on!

I studied Montessori for a while and our daughter went to a Montessori school for a year.

Spookily our main problems were that her wonderful teacher left after a term. We went from an in depth discussion of how the day had gone each day to no communication with the school what so ever. After a couple of teachers left (one through a clash of personalities and the other through pregnancy) television was used extensively - we don't even have a tv and we were spending three hours a day journeying to this kindergarten by bus.

A good Montessori school is far from 'liberal'. It is at the same time both very structured and child-centred. Unlike Waldorf, children are encouraged to read and write, know their geography, maths and science from a very young age. Maria Montessori was the first woman doctor in Italy and was convinced that children from poor backgrounds who had been labelled 'imbeciles' could acheive if they were given proper stimulus and a child-centred environment. These children went on to excel in national tests beyond their fellow students. If your FIL is interested, I am sure a good Montessori nursery would bowl him over. He should visit if he can. They are calm, industrious places, unlike the chaos of regular kindergartens.

If the school is truly implementing the whole Montessori method, I bet you will be very pleased! Sheesh, I'm excited for D.

I think that's the key thing. The name Montessori can be used by anyone who wants to use it, but it may not be following M. Montessori's methods very closely.

I agree that you, Jessica, might want to read up a bit on the environment and teaching methods within a Montessori school. It may look very different from what you're expecting from preschool.

Jami

Here's a link which might be helpful http://www.montessori.org/story.php?id=265

to know (once you understand about the method) is that anyone can call themselves "Montessori." I could open a day care tomorrow, and it could be the worst, most environmentally deprived day care in town, and I could call it "Dana's Montessori."

So you need to make sure they are really invested in the Montessori method. You need to ask about teacher training. What accredidation does the school have, what accredidation do the teachers have? No Montessori school should object to questions about teacher training, because teachers at Montessor's schools are what makes the place Montessori. The training is a big deal, and they should be proud to tell you about it

You should find highly trained, committed teachers and many of them will have been there for some time. Does the school pay for continuing education for it's teachers? Does the school do parent education?

Do they have the materials? You should see really quality puzzles and books, musical instruments, all kinds of hands-on materials made of wood - not a bunch of plastic junk. You should hear classical music. Ask the teachers, about that. Do they play music for the children. Where do they eat lunch? What is lunch like? Do they have a garden? Do the children get to help plan it and work in it? I would ask specific questions like "how do you teach numbers" because you should find some cool manipulatives and get some good ideas.

I do not believe you will see a tv there.

Honestly, the Montessori teachers at my sons' school made me want to homeschool. It was such a cool environment and when I did decide to homeschool, their teacher was a wealth of information and support to me. She was able to tell me very specific things about each boys learning style. I am forever indebted.

At one point we considered a Montessori PK program, and I must say that I was left feeling quite unable to match the types of opportunities they provided! I was really overwhelmed by what they had to offer. We eventually decided that we couldn't afford it (twins), but if money was no object, I would have considered Montessori for all of our kids. HTH

Kim

So you need to make sure they are really invested in the Montessori method. You need to ask about teacher training. What accredidation does the school have, what accredidation do the teachers have? No Montessori school should object to questions about teacher training, because teachers at Montessor's schools are what makes the place Montessori. The training is a big deal, and they should be proud to tell you about it

You should find highly trained, committed teachers and many of them will have been there for some time. Does the school pay for continuing education for it's teachers? Does the school do parent education?

Do they have the materials? You should see really quality puzzles and books, musical instruments, all kinds of hands-on materials made of wood - not a bunch of plastic junk. You should hear classical music. Ask the teachers, about that. Do they play music for the children. Where do they eat lunch? What is lunch like? Do they have a garden? Do the children get to help plan it and work in it? I would ask specific questions like "how do you teach numbers" because you should find some cool manipulatives and get some good ideas.

Exactly what I needed, thank you Dana!!! You've been blessing me a lot lately...I'll say an extra prayer of thanks for you. I was hoping I wouldn't be too forward with asking about the teachers' education. It's been a rollercoaster week in starting our lessons, realizing that my ideal situation isn't so ideal (3rd & PReK at home) and now looking at preschools and a daycare type of situation would not appease me. :svengo:

Sigh.

If they allow tv at all, then you can be sure that it's not a good Montessori school.

I wouldn't go that far. The best Montessori school in Houston allow(s/ed) limited tv on a rare basis. I certainly wouldn't write off a school for using the tv "at all." But daily or even twice a week or for any length of time would all be deal breakers for me too. 30 min per month is one thing; 30 min per day is ridiculous when you are paying for care, imo (and boy has that opinion gotten me in trouble with some employers!).

Enjoy your visit! I think your questions are fine. The teachers should have Montessori training. My oldest dd attended a Montessori school when she was 3-4 and it was fabulous. She learned so much and if money was not an issue, my youngest daughter would attend one now. There are a few things that strike me as "liberal" about the philosophy. Can't really articulate it well, but they seem to be very "earthy". You may want to pm Chris in VA because her son attended one as well, and she may give you some good info as well. I really loved watching my dd learn and grow during those years. I would love to be able to duplicate it at home! Let us know how the visit goes.

Thinking about the "liberal" thing...

I would say that the idea that children are basically good but adults/culture/etc. makes them act badly is probably more liberal. "Man is born free and everywhere is in chains" sort of thing. Montessori believed that if the environment could be controlled in a way where children could learn necessary things in a natural way and reach their human potential, they would be more peaceful. Eventually leading to world peace as they grew to adulthood. Something like that. So you may hear talk of "peace education".

Jami

I think you have some good questions there, you may want to ask about security but they will probably get to that before you can even ask.

My daughter goes (and my son went) to a nature based Montessori program and it is really a wonderful experience. They use the term "work" for all of the activities and they get to choose work and it is pretty cool to watch all of these kids choose an activity, pull out a mat and sit and "work" then put it back exactly where it came from. There are no messes, no junky plastic toys everywhere and no tv.

Animals are an integral part of the program so expect birds, bunnies, ferrets, guinea pigs, turtles etc. in all parts of the school.

Our school has a barnyard out back with sheep, chickens, a horse and goats.

There is a lot of talk about peace and feelings and respect.

Also, I'm guessing this is where the "liberal" talk might come in: This school is secular but they are welcoming of all faiths or no faith. Unless your school is part of a church (which MANY Montessori schools are!) then it may be secular. So when the kids are studying, say for example a stream by the school, they will talk about the beauty of nature but they won't say anything about it being God's creation. If a child mentions God, the teachers at this school are very encouraging and supportive but it is not a concept that is taught.

Good luck and let us know how you liked it!

Ds4's teacher is Montessori trained & certified as is all the teachers of the preschool. It is hands-on learning, group activities, everything I wanted. I don't even have to provide a lunch or snack for ds4.

The play yard is huge. I was disappointed that there was not a child garden or live animals but that's fine. We asked all the questions I posted before and received satisfactory answers, I felt like I was drilling the poor woman showing us around, lol.

Ds4 will start Monday, he was sad to leave the school today and has been asking to go back. There is no tv for his classroom and there are permission slips for field trips and IF they have a movie to watch that pertains to what they are learning but I was told it is not often. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I cried when I got home, realizing my baby is going somewhere else and the house will be quiet---dd8 is pretty quiet for the most part, ds4 is the noisemaker. He's going to love it but Monday I'll hang around to make sure he's okay for the first 30 minutes. The preschool is 5 minutes from our house.

I think this will be good for everyone, especially ds4.

I'm a fan of Montessori - usually. They are often secular but not liberal or conservative as a general rule, in my experience. There has become a very wide variety on how closely people actually follow the method though. I would look into that and since you've read some about Montessori, you'll know what to look for.

I would certainly ask some specifics about the Montessori method and what it looks like at the school. Sometimes people look at Montessori as just letting kids sort of do anything at whatever pace. It is kind of the mentality that children know what's best for them so just let them do whatever they want. That, as you know, really isn't the method at all. It's child directed learning but it is certainly learning. It's not just playing with various modern toys, it should involve learning stations that will develop a skill the children can choose from based on their style of learning.

Manners and etiquette were taught in traditional Montessori schools. At the preschool my girls attended they learned little things like pouring from a glass pitcher, politely asking and responding, folding a napkin, cleaning up, chores, etc. I have heard there are some wild ones where the kids are noisy, disrespectful (child rules), and things just get chaotic anymore with the new ideas of what "child directed" looks like. Our old director had been sort of an old school Montessori teacher and was not always pleased with some of the overly relaxed attitudes of the new teachers.

I hope you have a good one!

I cried when I got home, realizing my baby is going somewhere else and the house will be quiet---dd8 is pretty quiet for the most part, ds4 is the noisemaker. He's going to love it but Monday I'll hang around to make sure he's okay for the first 30 minutes. The preschool is 5 minutes from our house.

Sounds great but if I could make one suggestion: I would not hang around for a half hour because I think that it is easier on the child (not the parent :lol: ) to be dropped off, kissed and sent in with the teacher. If there is a problem that they can't deal with, they will call you. Also, I think it is a GREAT idea to go to your son's class in a few weeks after he has gotten use to it and observe. You'll get to see him interact and choose his work and see the preschool in action with your son.

Whatever you do, good luck and I think it's exciting!

Would it be offensive if I ask how often they sanitize their toys? How long ds4's potential teacher has worked there? About her educational background? If the employees have criminal background checks?

Yeah, I'm not nervous or anything...

Maria Montessori was a devout Catholic. Thank goodness! That makes me grateful!

My ds6 went to a Montessori Pre-K for 2 years and it was SO wonderful. I wish I had sent our older daughter there...we chose to do a Catholic Pre-K for her, which was more of a glorified day care. As you've probably realized by now it's very Charlotte Mason-y in approach, at least ours was. I'm sure you'll both be happy with it.

My dc went to a Montessori school until just this year. It was a very small school, and overall a very good experience. My biggest complaints had to do with specific teachers, as well as lack of parent/teacher communication--things fairly specific to the school. My 12yo went for 3rd-5th, my 9yo went for preK-3rd, and my 7yo went for preK-2nd. As a general rule, they were secular but not liberal, and very interested in getting children to think and understand concepts.

Jessica,

I'm so glad you found a good match for your family!

Two things you may want to know about Montessori--

Maria Montessori was Catholic. She seems to have believed in the goodness of the child, in that Rousseau-Romantic-Noble Savage way, but I have heard this refuted. The refutation is that people forget she was talking about baptised children--Catholics believe in infant baptism, so the hearts she is talking about are already regenerated thru Christ. I thought that was an interesting point.

The other thing is, in true Montessori schools, you will not find fantasy literature. Things are grounded in reality, so you won't find books with talking animals or fairies or that sort of thing. I know you already read fairy tales at home, and I know you are a big fan of all literature, so just be aware that you will have to provide that sort of lit, if, indeed, your school follows this philosophy.

You might also think about how you can set up your K next year to be more like Montessori. Perhaps using Shiller Math would work for you--Danny will be introduced to some of the Monti math, and it might be nice to continue it. I have a number of Monti links, if you want to add in some activities (start making them now! :001_smile:) that would extend what he will learn.

We visited ds' Montessori school when we went to Texas this summer. My heart just longed for dd to be able to experience this wonderful school--I hope you make great memories this year!