Menu

Play based homeschool preschool for the non spontaneous parent

"Just let them play" is what my husband says when I ask about how to preschool.

To which my head tilts to the side and my eye brows furrow and I say, "what do you mean just let them play?"

"you are over thinking things, just let them play."

So I ask you "How do I just let them play?"

Let me point out I'm "horrible" parent. I don't know how to talk to my kids. I do not know how to sing them nursery rhymes. I had to purposely schedule the singing of "twinkle twinkle" on to my to do list at a specific time if i wanted it to happen. I wanted it to happen i just can't do it organically. To some degree I think it comes down to my own short comings of not knowing how to play and being an introvert.

Help.  

Do you just have pre-schoolers?

Are there toys accessible to them?

I would set up play areas for them so they have options.

You don't need to play with them (unless they don't know how to play, in which case youcould tell them that you will play with them for x amount of minutes and then you have work to do.

We had a quiet time when the non-nappers had to stay in a room a lone for an hour and entertain themselves.

I guess I'm not totally sure what you are asking for. Don't they play now? or do you need them to stop following you and do something? or do you have older kids you are teaching and you need them occupied? or are you wanting them to sit and do schoolwork and dh says they need to just play?

I don't understand the question. Children play. Just don't arbitrarily stop them, and you are in effect letting them play. You certainly don't need to play WITH them; I almost never played with my preschool kids.

Have stuff they can mess around with. Take them outside and let them look around. Read some books to them. Schedule in your singing time. Done.

(I don't think this is an introvert issue)

I was raised within an in-home daycare that my mother ran, so I'm well-versed in what to do with little kids, but it never feels like *enough*. Plus, my brain prefers to operate on multiple well-organized tracks at one time, so slowing down to child pace drives me bonkers. I will forever be grateful that I worked when my daughter was very young and she had a wonderful nanny and then a play-based preschool that took care of a lot of that stuff.

If I'd known about it earlier, or been the caretaker more hours of the day back then, I'd probably have picked up the Flowering Baby curriculum. I can no longer find their website, but they do still sell through Rainbow Resources. They have a list of things to do each day/week, including books to get from the library, music to listen to or sing, mild academics to incorporate, gross motor and fine motor skills to work on. It's all mapped out for you. It's the kind of thing that those with instincts for little kid play don't need at all, but those of us without them can find very useful for creating an age-appropriate to-do list.

Another thing I did when she was very young was to make a general list - music, art, gross motor, fine motor, self-help skills. It was a checklist for me, not for my daughter. But each day, I'd make sure that I found some way to work each checklist item into our day.

You might also look into Montessori preschool ideas.

I kept lots of creative toys/props around for free play. A well-stocked art desk, a chest of dress-up clothes, a big bin of fabrics for whatever she wanted to use them for, a bin of preschooler-friendly musical instruments, a play kitchen, dolls and stuffed animals.

• Like 1

I don't 'play' much with my kids at any age. We spend a lot of enjoyable, interactive time together, but I would say that imaginative play is mostly their domain. I'm an introvert too, and I don't even love playing board games for adults. :)

I made a point to train my kids to amuse themselves independently. A few things I did to be involved in their play or introduce new toys and games:

- I would 'set up' a new play, to get them engaged. I'll sit down and make a basic train track, for example, and drive the trains around it. It gets the child going and they often become engaged on their own from there. Other 'jump start' set ups might involve Playmobil, blocks, play kitchen/cooking, Mr Potato Head, little cars, etc.

- I read a few board books and then leave them on the couch with a stack to explore.

- I respond to their play 'invitations'. If they come into the kitchen and tell me they are making a tea party, I'll pretend to drink their tea.

- I set them up with crayons and paper and maybe draw a princess or a tractor or two. They take it from there. Same with playdough.

- Turn on kid songs and put play silks on the floor. Dance with them for a moment with the silks, then let them at it.

These are all things I do to occupy my toddler while I school with the olders. As time goes by, the toddler/preschooler gets more and more comfortable with an activity and will explore on their own.

Each of these things and more are tactile, imaginative learning opportunities and I would say they form a good chunk of 'early education'.

Is that what you're looking for?

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 4

I think it is great that you recognize what you can and cannot provide for your children and are willing to step up and make up for things.  There is no harm in scheduling out an enriching play-based experience for your children if it doesn't come naturally to you.  This is what excellent play-based preschools do.  There are lots of resources to help you do that.  When my kids were younger, I was part of a preschool playgroup and we took turns leading activities for our meetings.  I remember finding a publication at the library meant for preschool teachers that was very helpful for me to find age-appropriate things to do that were fun, educational, and not very schoolish.  I can't remember the name of it right now, but I am sure that if you search online, you could find blogs and such. 

That said, you don't have to play with your child every minute to provide an enriching experience.  Kids do need unstructured time as well.  Getting outside and exploring nature (even if the weather in inclement.)  Participating in chores is also very useful.  There are lots of resources online for age appropriate contributions children can make. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Some resources that came up.

The Homegrown Preschooler

The Nature Connection

Oh, and don't forget read-alouds.  The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.  Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt.  There are also a ton of lists online.  Your local librarian should be able to help as well.  Weekly trips to the library can be a great learning experience for kids. 

My littles have the best early learning materials they could possibly have: each other! They play together lots. They have a roomful of open-ended toys, trains, action figures, balls, blocks, eighty gazillion Duplos, a toy kitchen. . . They have parents and siblings who read books to them and who talk to them and who take them places and who snuggle with them. They have a yard to run around in, stuff to climb, cats to pet, dirt to dig in, and things they can do around the house to help and participate in family life. What more do they need?

I do not put a ton of effort into orchestrating their days. I let them guide themselves. I try to carve out some time each day to focus on reading to them, and I often will set out little activities or paint or play dough that they can do or not, as they choose. I do try to take some time to go over letter formation with my four year old a few times a week.

You might enjoy blogs like An Everyday Story. She has lots of invitations and provocations set up for her kids to explore.

I think you could do fine with a little intentional schedule to help you. Maybe figure out what sorts of things they are curious about and go to Pinterest to find a few ideas. Stay away from things that are too crafty.

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1

When mine were little we also had several things out of the house scheduled into our week.  We had a regular "playgroup" day where a couple of families met at each others' homes once a week.  We had a weekly "park day" with local homeschoolers once a week.  We had a regular "library day" (and for one of mine, there was a weekly program for preschoolers there - they read a book, did a fingerplay song or two, and may have done some kind of craft).  We also got some friends together to schedule a few field trips - a local nature center did nice programs for preschoolers.  These outings gave a kind of structure to our week, and then the home-based playtime happened in the spaces between the outings.  I did find that certain kinds of play worked better in small groups; for example, I found it easier to take out the fingerpaints for three or four children than to have it out for just one.  The clean-up was the same either way, so it felt more worthwhile if several kids benefited, and the kids got inspiration from each others' work.  I also did "centers" to some extent, rotated toys in and out of the play area, and sometimes put out a tempting display of a certain toy to be discovered by the child in the morning.  (For example, if I got some Tinkertoys at a yard sale, I might put a few pieces together, and put them on a little table along with the rest of the set, so the child could have the fun of exploring the possibilities of how to put them together, etc.

"Just let them play" is what my husband says when I ask about how to preschool.

To which my head tilts to the side and my eye brows furrow and I say, "what do you mean just let them play?"

"you are over thinking things, just let them play."

So I ask you "How do I just let them play?"

Let me point out I'm "horrible" parent. I don't know how to talk to my kids. I do not know how to sing them nursery rhymes. I had to purposely schedule the singing of "twinkle twinkle" on to my to do list at a specific time if i wanted it to happen. I wanted it to happen i just can't do it organically. To some degree I think it comes down to my own short comings of not knowing how to play and being an introvert.

Help.

If you want something with structure and you have money and time to spare the sonlight p3/4 package is quite fun.

I absolutely don't think this stuff is essential but it sounds like you want something.

Edited by Ausmumof3

I really liked Where is Thumbkin? when my dd was little.  It has weekly themes for each month, and then activities for each theme.  Art projects, "math" or "science" projects.  Songs.  You can buy a cd to go with it.  It also has a book list for each theme, so I could get corresponding picture books from the library.  Amazon carries it.  

Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Thumbkin-Activities-Songs-Already/dp/0876591640/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449083633&sr=8-1&keywords=where+is+thumbkin

CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Thumbkin-Kimbo/dp/B00000DARY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449083633&sr=8-2&keywords=where+is+thumbkin

If you also want to do something more schooly, Abeka sells pre-k stuff.  I like their cds especially and their "flash" cards.

I haven't used it, but I hear 5 in a Row is good for preschoolers. They have a book that you read for a week and activities that tie into the book.

Honestly, spend an hour browsing Pinterest for preschool ideas and you'll have more than you could ever use!

I listed motor skill activities (ie picking up things with tongs, beading string, lacing etc), sensory activities and creative play activities (legos, blocks, train set, marble set etc) and rotate those. I want free play but structured and purposeful free play. I need list and I also don't do so well coming up with things in my own. Last ywar I had boxes labeled mon-fri and on sunday I would fill them with different items. You can also keep toys up and rotate them down.

• Like 1

I don't 'play' much with my kids at any age. We spend a lot of enjoyable, interactive time together, but I would say that imaginative play is mostly their domain. I'm an introvert too, and I don't even love playing board games for adults. :)

I made a point to train my kids to amuse themselves independently. A few things I did to be involved in their play or introduce new toys and games:

- I would 'set up' a new play, to get them engaged. I'll sit down and make a basic train track, for example, and drive the trains around it. It gets the child going and they often become engaged on their own from there. Other 'jump start' set ups might involve Playmobil, blocks, play kitchen/cooking, Mr Potato Head, little cars, etc.

- I read a few board books and then leave them on the couch with a stack to explore.

- I respond to their play 'invitations'. If they come into the kitchen and tell me they are making a tea party, I'll pretend to drink their tea.

- I set them up with crayons and paper and maybe draw a princess or a tractor or two. They take it from there. Same with playdough.

- Turn on kid songs and put play silks on the floor. Dance with them for a moment with the silks, then let them at it.

These are all things I do to occupy my toddler while I school with the olders. As time goes by, the toddler/preschooler gets more and more comfortable with an activity and will explore on their own.

Each of these things and more are tactile, imaginative learning opportunities and I would say they form a good chunk of 'early education'.

Is that what you're looking for?

Yes :D

• Like 1