Menu

A Christmas Carol - recommended age to read aloud?

blessedmom3

Agree with above -- though we're starting it at ages 10 & 5 this year (Lord willing &c).

I did like the Muppet Christmas Carol for an introduction to the plot -- the ghost of Christmas future's a bit scary for sensitive little ones, but with skipping that bit this has been a nice movie for 4/5+ at our house. 

• Like 1

My kids have been watching various movie versions of A Christmas Carol for years - even my 6 year old knows the plot very well.

I read the book to my older 3 a few years ago. I just picked up a gorgeous fully illustrated version at a library book sale a few months back, and we're going to be reading it again this December.

I think that if your child has seen the movie version (I think The Muppet Christmas Carol sticks to the book extremely well), and they can follow the plot, then they are ready to hear the book read aloud.

I am a little disappointed ; my 9&6 yo said it's too much for them. They don't seem to comprehend what's going on. I have the unabridged version. My 9 yo might have some comprehension issues and she never liked books,no matter how much I try to force them on her. We will keep going on reading 1/2 chapter a day. I figure they will get something out of it,and then will watch the movie.

Which version of the movie is the best? I see there are several versions and we haven't watched any of them yet.

Edited by blessedmom3

I do pause frequently to explain things.  Many of the cultural references are confusing to kids, so I stop to let them know what is going on.  I'm also pretty sure that there are entire paragraphs that go over their heads, but we just keep going.  

This book is part of their preparation for listening to David Copperfield and eventually A Tale of Two Cities, which are two of my favorite books.  If they get used to the language and expressions in A Christmas Carol, hopefully those will be a bit easier to enjoy.

I am a little disappointed ; my 9&6 yo said it's too much for them. They don't seem to comprehend what's going on. I have the unabridged version. My 9 yo might have some comprehension issues and she never liked books,no matter how much I try to force them on her. We will keep going on reading 1/2 chapter a day. I figure they will get something out of it,and then will watch the movie.

Which version of the movie is the best? I see there are several versions and we haven't watched any of them yet.

Don't be disappointed! It is a challenging book. (I think it is rated a 7th or 8th grade reading level?) When I read above my kids' level, I tell them flat out that they will not understand everything, just like when I read to them when they were babies and they didn't understand English at all. :D

Our favorite movie version is the Muppets. Seriously. Faithful to the story and best for younger kids. Watching the movie (several times) helps kids follow the book. It is the one case I feel watching the movie before reading the book is a good thing.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 3

Our favorite movie version is the Muppet Christmas Carol. Entertaining, very true to the book, and hey-- it's the Muppets! Yes, ghost of future is a little scary but not too much. Any version has that ghost a bit scary. Wonder what Dicken's was trying to say???

First read it aloud to dd in kindy, so age 5. She's reading it for herself now for 5th grade lit, at age 10.

If you can find a good local stage production to go along with it, it's totally worth it! DD and I used to go every year as our special mommy/dd Christmas outing. So sad our local theater group closed down. :(

Our favorite movie version is the Muppets. Seriously. Faithful to the story and best for younger kids. Watching the movie (several times) helps kids follow the book. It is the one case I feel watching the movie before reading the book is a good thing.

Same! We have tried to watch it the past few years, but last year (they were 6.5 and 4.5) was the first time they watched and liked it all the way through.

• Like 1

We like the Mr. Magoo version.  The dialogue is right out of the book, which I wouldn't have noticed if we didn't watch it right after reading the book.   :lol:

I've read it to all my kids (we are re-reading it this year), but I'd say my older ones get more from it...maybe ages 8 and up?

• Like 1

First read it aloud to dd in kindy, so age 5. She's reading it for herself now for 5th grade lit, at age 10.

If you can find a good local stage production to go along with it, it's totally worth it! DD and I used to go every year as our special mommy/dd Christmas outing. So sad our local theater group closed down. :(

We are going to see it for the first time ever this year. I am so excited! 

We "read" it for the first time this year with 10 and 12-year-old boys by listening to the 1939 radio drama narrated by Orsen Wells. I thought it was a great way to introduce the boys to a popular form of entertainment that pre-dated i-somethings and even TV.  They didn't enjoy it as much I had hoped (usually I read aloud all the books and they always prefer me to an audio book), but they were already familiar with the plot device from other movies, cartoons, etc. Even Teen Titans Go had an episode based on it. The radio drama was free on YouTube.

Edited by J&JMom