Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW46: armchair traveling west of the prime meridian

Robin M

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on a bit of a Carla Kelly reading kick of late.  I found yet another book of hers which included two titles on (one of) my to be read shelves and polished it off yesterday.  I enjoyed both of the stories.  Both books would be fine for all readers.

Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla Kelly

From Library Journal

"Seeking both safety from her lecherous brother-in-law and the solitude to work through her grief and put her family's world back together, the vicar's widow, Roxanna Drew, takes her two young daughters and moves into the dilapidated dowerhouse of a nearby estate, determined to make it livable before winter. However, the winter winds bring more than snow to her door: Fletcher Rand, Marquess of Winn, the estate's absentee owner, appears in search of shelter. She welcomes him into her home-and into her life as well. Emotionally involving, well written, and filled with real characters, this story infuses a traditional Regency situation with compassion, warmth, and a high level of sexual tension, producing a book that won't soon be forgotten. The grief/healing process is particularly well depicted. Kelly is a popular writer of out-of-the-ordinary Regencies (Mrs. Whittier Makes a List, Signet, 1994)."
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

and

Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career by Carla Kelly

"Beautiful and brilliant Miss Ellen Grimsley considers it a scandal that she---a female---cannot attend Oxford while her dunderhead brother can. That's why she dons his robes to do his work for him. But when a handsome lord learns Ellen's secret, he decides to teach her a lesson of his own. This delightful period romance will earn top marks from readers everywhere!"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

And, ironically, while I'm griping about the cookbook, I'm sitting here enjoying some coffee & these...

Belgian%20chocolates.jpg

(My in-laws just got back from Belgium & brought us a giant box of chocolates.)

Anyone want to come over & join me? :)

Great idea!

:)

We just went to Brussel yesterday to attend an exam, before they changed the security level.

Glad your inlaws got back home in time!

• Like 7

Happy Birthday to our Fearless Leader!

You guys can have the chocolate - I want to browse the bookshelves and just be in the same room with you all!

Yep.  Me too.  Okay, I'll still eat a piece of chocolate or two.  :)

Last night's book group was small and somewhat somber as one of my group is grieving the death and brutal beating of family friends who were attacked by their adult son with a mental illness.  I think that friends, book talk, good food, wine, and brownies helped her heal a little.

We did all read the book -- the Princess Bride -- and discussed it.  I was a little surprised that only half of the group had seen the movie.

Regards,
Kareni

Oh that's so sad.  ((HUGS))

• Like 7

Robin!!!

bdayparty.gif

(I think I'm posting a little early for CA time, but it's your birthday already here on the east coast!)

I'll second that ~

Happy  birthday, Robin!

Regards,
Kareni

Happy Birthday Robin!!!!

Many happy returns of the day, Robin!

Happy Birthday to our Fearless Leader!

Yep.  Me too.  Okay, I'll still eat a piece of chocolate or two.  :)

:party:  :party:  :party:

Hugs and thank you!  Hubby is cooking a roast beef and yorkshire pudding tonight and opening a nice bottle of bordeaux.  About to take off for Barnes and Noble with my son for a book shopping adventure.   Just saw that SWB's revised edition of Well Educated Mind is out.  Drooling! 

• Like 12

Yesterday I finished William Goldman's The Princess Bride: An Illustrated Edition of S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure which I've been reading for my book group this Thursday. 

I did enjoy the book overall; I can also see why many readers end up believing that Florin and Guilder are real places.  The author does a good job of making Morgenstern and his world seem real.  I also believe I know which parts make others like it less than the movie -- for example, the author as narrator talking about his cold wife, ogling the starlet, and discussing his fat son.  Those parts, because they do contain some factual information as when the author/narrator talks about books and screenplays he has written, make one wonder if ALL the information is factual.  I wanted to search to see if his wife's name is the same as the one given in the text.  So, even the less than pleasant parts of the book add to the feeling of realness about the framing story. 

I was one of those people who was totally confused by The Princess Bride.  In fact, I was so annoyed with trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't that it took some of the enjoyment out of the story.  I also found Buttercup to be a very shallow character in the book.  I think Robin Wright did a better job of bringing her to life in the movie.

Jane, I hope your mule behaved. When we tried this in Bryce, my poor husband, with no riding experience, was given a horse who thought he was in The Man from Snowy River, ignoring the switchbacks and going straight down instead. He also tried to rub my husband off on any overhangs, leapt over the streams, and stopped to eat a sign. What a wild view! So different! What sort of rock was it?

Nan

:lol: Oh, Nan, I can totally picture this!!  I actually laughed out loud at my computer!  I'm still smiling!

And, ironically, while I'm griping about the cookbook, I'm sitting here enjoying some coffee & these...

Belgian%20chocolates.jpg

(My in-laws just got back from Belgium & brought us a giant box of chocolates.)

Anyone want to come over & join me? :)

I'm in!  

Happy Birthday, Robin!  I hope your trip to the book store is productive  ;)

• Like 9

I finally finished the Ides of March.  It took me forever because I have too much else going on and most days I couldn't read at all, and when I could it was a page here and there. Anyhoo, it was another unimpressive book for me.  Some parts of it were interesting, like maybe a total of 3 pages, but it wasn't worth reading the whole book.

I am done reading dry "classics" that happened to be around the house for years.  I think I will start a James Clavell next.  Not sure which one, it depends on what I find in the basement.  i enjoyed Shogun but it has been decades since I read it.

• Like 9

Happy Birthday, Robin!

I took a break from Zen and Motorcycle Maintenance to read the Peach Keeper by Sara Addison Allen. Why do I feel guilty for enjoying her books? She makes me forget I'm reading a glorified Harlequin romance and makes me wish the world magically filled the senses just as she writes. (Blush) It was lovely, cheesy and escapist.

• Like 10

I finished The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton this week for our book club.  November’s challenge was to read a book published the year you were born.  I tried a fantasy book that was one of dh’s favorite’s first.  I didn’t really make it past the first page.  It just didn’t grab me.  I then went on to a Victoria Holt novel.  I made it farther in but again, it just wasn’t grabbing my attention.  I knew that Michael Crichton wouldn’t let me down.  The Terminal Man wasn’t on the same level as some of his other works (The Andromeda Strain, Congo, Jurassic Park, and Sphere come to mind) but it certainly didn’t disappoint.  It was interesting to see how far technology has come since the early 70’s.  Also, there were some cultural things pertaining to the 70’s that I had forgotten or was too young to remember, like smoking in the hospitals.  As always with a Crichton book, I was wondering what was real and what was fiction.  He always keeps me guessing.  A SATISFYING READ.

• Like 9

Happy birthday Robin!  Hope the book adventure pans out and the yorkshire pudding (ahhhh) is as good as it sounds.  My husband has many strengths but not a one of 'em manifests in the kitchen  :laugh: .... And thanks re: kind words.

Kareni, (hugs) to your friend.  How ghastly.

Eliana, I'm nearly done with Racecraft -- thank you -- and will pop back in tomorrow after I'm done.

• Like 7

Stacia, I just bought that tee you linked earlier. Thanks again!

Also, while browsing Etsy I found this. So stinkin cute!

I would love to buy them, but I'd be afraid of ruining them due to washing/drying. I have wash all bedding/soft toys every week on super hot and dry on high heat due to dust mites. 

Those are awesome. Might have to surprise ds w/ those.

Did you see this tee? I think ds might be getting it for Christmas.

https://society6.com/product/pocket-pal_t-shirt#11=49&4=104&5=19

• Like 6

I am done reading dry "classics" that happened to be around the house for years.  I think I will start a James Clavell next.  Not sure which one, it depends on what I find in the basement.  i enjoyed Shogun but it has been decades since I read it.

I used to enjoy James Clavell's. I haven't read them for years though. I don't have enough bookshelves so they're packed in the shed.

Kareni has inspired me to spend a significant portion of next year reading romance novels. I sure haven't read enough fluff this year.

• Like 8