Menu

Another case of a hser labeled at a medical visit?

Tiramisu

Remember this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/571696-vent-homeschool-icd-10-cm-diagnosis-code-code-z559-update/page-2?hl=%2Bhomeschool&do=findComment&comment=6641528

I just took out the paper we came home with from a cardiology visit because I was supposed to call the office one week after the visit for results. I noticed under "Ordered today": cardiac monitor and "family educaton assessment (100041 Custom)." "Family education assessment" after a cardiology visit?

Remembering the above thread, I started seeing red flags, so when I called and spoke to an administrative assistant to ask for the doctor to call me with the results, I asked about what the "family education assessment" meant. She said, "That's a very good question. I don't know but I think it has to do with something social." And she suggested I ask the doctor about it when he calls me back.

This really irritates me. I don't remember seeing that after my other dd's cardiology visit, but I don't think the hsing came up. I've used the children's hospital system a lot over the years and I've been very happy with the care we've received, so now I'm really irritated.

I never do well under pressure so I hope I can ask the doctor the right questions and respond well when he calls me back.

• Like 2

I would assume that they educated you on how to use the monitor?  I would think it would apply to that.  At least I would ask about that first and if it isn't the case, ask then what it refers to.  

I thought the same as Jean.  That it was about educating you regarding a medical procedure.

Same procedure as my other dd who is in school, and her record does not include the "family eduation assessment". But another doctor did the original ordering, even if they both saw the same doctor, so there's a slim chance they could explain it. But the assistant seemed to think it was a social/family verbal questioning of some kind, as in who does the child live with...

Same procedure as my other dd who is in school, and her record does not include the "family eduation assessment". But another doctor did the original ordering, even if they both saw the same doctor, so there's a slim chance they could explain it. But the assistant seemed to think it was a social/family verbal questioning of some kind, as in who does the child live with...

Although if someone else did the coding they could have just added a code the other coder didn't add. 

The doctors don't generally have anything to do with coding.  They take notes.  Someone else codes. 

Although if someone else did the coding they could have just added a code the other coder didn't add. 

The doctors don't generally have anything to do with coding.  They take notes.  Someone else codes. 

This was definitely from the doctor. We got it as we were leaving the visit. It was not an insurance code or diagnostic code.

I'd be on High Alert and calling HSLDA for advice.  "Family education assessment" sounds ominous.  It isn't a family assessment, there is education in there.  

Honestly I don't think I would jump to that conclusion at all since it is good practice to document any educational assessment and instruction given to patients in regards to their medical needs, medical treatment and medical procedures. In fact it you don;t document it it could be grounds for a lawsuit. I am inclined to think that this has something to do with medical

As for regular pediatricians and nurses, it is also good practice to treat patients holistically which would also include about assessing for any social and educational needs.

• Like 1

I never do well under pressure so I hope I can ask the doctor the right questions and respond well when he calls me back.

Then write your questions out, try to put them in the most logical order, and put them by the phone, so you'll have them when he calls.  Also have a pen and paper and write down everything he says (ask him to go slow so you can write, that will also give you a chance to think about the response in case you have a further question about his answer).

• Like 3

Looks like this is a medical thing, not a homeschool thing: http://www.uth.tmc.edu/uth_orgs/hcpc/procedures/volume2/chapter3/treatment_services-05.htm

I hope it is. The curious thing is that the same cardiologist talked to my older dd a lot about how to manage her condition to reduce symptoms and be safe without noting any educational assessment. The same doctor did very little of that with this dd, because we don't know if there's even an issue yet besides her heart rate being high, and "ordered" it. 

I hope it is. The curious thing is that the same cardiologist talked to my older dd a lot about how to manage her condition to reduce symptoms and be safe without noting any educational assessment. The same doctor did very little of that with this dd, because we don't know if there's even an issue yet besides her heart rate being high, and "ordered" it. 

Practitioners don't always code consistently--some practices (especially large employers) actually do tons of education with their practitioners about this and go so far as to employ people to go through dictations and things to help recoup the lost income when providers don't code everything they are legally allowed to charge for. 

Some practitioners do enter diagnosis codes, and sometimes it comes from someone else looking at the charts.

• Like 1