Menu

Do your kids use Kindles? At what age?

I am a bookworm. I resisted for years when offered a Kindle as a gift because I love real books but then I got one and was hooked. I love having the ability to order anything at the push of a button and all those physical books were taking up too much space. Now I'm having the same problem with all of DS' paperbacks. They have all been books we have read to him. Now that he has finished AAR2 I want to branch out and have him start reading harder books more often. I've read him the first couple of Magic Tree House Books and he loved when I read Mrs. PiggleWiggle so I thought we could start with him reading the ones we have to me. If that goes well I could buy the next one on a Kindle for him and start setting it up with books for him. He has quiet time in the afternoon and often practices reading his books to himself, but he always grabs one of his picture books and not the paperbacks (like Dahl that we have read him). Is it too soon for him to be reading to himself? Do I need to listen to him read longer first? Either way we would be doing AA3 and still having him read aloud to me.

we're in AAR 3.  My kids would be capable of reading roughly Magic Treehouse Level, but they don't have that stamina or desire yet.  My son still flips through (mostly Star Wars) books and reads some Easy Readers, but they'd much rather be read to or listen to an audiobook.  I'm just not pushing it yet.  Even when they're ready, I'd be surprised if they wanted to read on a kindle this early.  They do listen to audiobooks on the kindle.  They still get annoyed when I ask them to read from the AAR readers. 

• Like 1

My boys both have them and have for well over a year.  They only have them though because my parents upgraded and passed down their old ones to the boys.  Admittedly they play on them more than reading.  My oldest occasionally reads on  it.  My youngest is not a good reader yet.  He's a little over halfway through AAR1.  I'd put more books on there but we're on a budget and just end up using the library most of the time.

• Like 1

I really think our Kindle contributed to DD learning to read early. I put various books on it - mostly children's classics she was familiar with already like Peter Rabbit, Pooh, Heidi... - and bought the WhisperSync to go along with it. She loved being able to "read" the Kindle while listening to the audiobook, because the Kindle would highlight the words as they are being read. By doing that combined with a bit of time on Starfall, she practically taught herself to read at 4.5 while I was busy having a baby and taking care of a newborn :-)

• Like 1

The kids have kindles, of the sort that don't have any other features but the books.

One note - the books you buy on kindle aren't really "yours". Amazon considers them like an indefinite lease. So you may wish to back them up elsewhere, say, using a de-DRM tool and an e-book management program such as Calibre. This is all very legal so long as you don't intend to share those books with other people, but Amazon frowns on it.

(Frankly, I use this just to transfer all books over to my nook, which has the ability to take a microSD chip and therefore has a much larger memory.)

• Like 1

My eight year old, a very precocious reader, has had a paper white for about a year. She prefers paper books, but I prefer the kindle. Our library has a good selection of e-books, especially newer releases. I wouldn't be a fan of the kindle if it didn't. My five year old, who is reading at a Young Cam Jansen level, will be getting one for Giftmas, as he's been begging for one for a while and I'm overindulgent.

• Like 1

ds7 has a Nook Simple Touch.

We have the entire Magic Treehouse series as .epubs but he never reads them. He might read a digital Mr. Putter and Tabby aloud to me if I sit down with him and call it "school".

The eReader was exciting as a gadget and "just like Mommy's" for about a week. I finally sucked it up and replaced a lot of my own pulp fiction paperbacks with digital to clear off some shelf space for him last summer.

Our public library has Magic Tree House so at least I don't have to buy those all over again for the third time.

Le sigh.

• Like 1

Dd has had a Kindle since she was five, when I gave her my old Touch after I upgraded to a Paperwhite. Last year we bought her a Paperwhite so she could read in the dark. She's seven now, and reads on her Paperwhite for hours every single day. It's ridiculous. It's nice for her to be able to look up the definitions of words she doesn't know just by touching them, and she likes to add her own notes to the stories, too. :) 

There are a lot of ebooks available from Amazon at the MTH level. Dd read through all the Beast Quest books on her Kindle, for example. I'm blanking on the others, but there are a ton of them.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

I really think our Kindle contributed to DD learning to read early. I put various books on it - mostly children's classics she was familiar with already like Peter Rabbit, Pooh, Heidi... - and bought the WhisperSync to go along with it. She loved being able to "read" the Kindle while listening to the audiobook, because the Kindle would highlight the words as they are being read. By doing that combined with a bit of time on Starfall, she practically taught herself to read at 4.5 while I was busy having a baby and taking care of a newborn :-)

How does whispersync work? Is that part of the Kindle Unlimited or something else?

Whispersync for voice combines an audible.com audio with a Kindle book and reads the book aloud. This is available on the Fire but not the paperwhite. It is also available for apps for iPad and Android?

Regular whispersync lets all your connected devices know where you left off reading. It even switches back and forth from an audio to a text if you have  purchased both.

• Like 1

My kids earn theirs. After they finish reading lessons, they start doing Book Adventure quizzes. At 1,000 points I take them to get their own library card. At 5,000 points they get their own kindle (just the ereader). My older three have their own kindles. My 4yo is very motivated to read even though I haven't specifically sat down and done reading lessons yet.

We also have two extra kindle fires for the immersion reading features.

• Like 2

My 5yo daughter has read some books (e.g., the Green Ember) that were free on Kindle unlimited, but...  overall I prefer interlibrary loan for "real" books. This is going to sound really weird, but on my kindle fire, one text size is way too big, another is small enough that she feels eye strain (her vision is fine for her age according to her doctor, but I think from behavior she is still slightly too farsighted for my kindle fire to be comfortable on the normal text setting for long). I think the print on the text books isn't even always larger, it just doesn't seem to cause the same strain over the hours she reads at a time.

• Like 1

My kids earn theirs. After they finish reading lessons, they start doing Book Adventure quizzes. At 1,000 points I take them to get their own library card. At 5,000 points they get their own kindle (just the ereader). My older three have their own kindles. My 4yo is very motivated to read even though I haven't specifically sat down and done reading lessons yet.

We also have two extra kindle fires for the immersion reading features.

What a great idea! I really like the idea of motivating him and having him help find books to read. Thanks!

• Like 1

We were so lucky to receive a used Kindle from a friend who was upgrading. It's been invaluable for my DS7 this year because he still struggles with the smaller print standard in kids' chapter books despite being ready for the challenge of those higher level books.

I'm suffering from some new vision loss. When my eyes are bad, I cannot read regular books anymore.

I cannot imagine that in the past, I would have been limited to large print books!

I love love love my Kindle Paperwhite when my eyes are at their worst. One night I fell asleep with it snuggled against my chest like a teddy bear.