Menu

Smartphone questions... help please

*lifeoftheparty*

OK- hubby and I have finally reached a point where we actually "need" smartphones. We have gotten by with prepaid flip phones until now... but there have been about a dozen instances in the past 6 months or so, where we have said, "This would be so much easier/better if we had smartphones."

DH works in a classified facility, and cannot bring a phone into work, but he has a new position where his boss will sometimes need to get in touch with him outside his work hours.

So, we NEED a good coverage network. I am thinking it's best to go with Verizon, am I correct there? We have Verizon for cable/phone/internet- should/can I bundle? Is it cheaper?

Anyhoo, I am going to get us phones for Christmas. I want an iPhone, DH hates Apple, so I was thinking Samsung for him.... I really can't afford to pay several hundred bucks each for two phones at Christmas.... so I was going to do the lease option.

Out of curiosity, I got on Verizon Wireless dot com and chose the phones I wanted, a 3 GB monthly plan, all the wanted options, etc. and it came to paying $68 "now" and $146 a month... is that typical/reasonable for two phones?

We can easily afford that bill... will it actually be my bill, or will my bill be outrageously more than quoted?

I do plan to wait until cliser to Christmas, to see what kind of deals they'll have...

I'm just looking for input here :)

Particulary... should I get my phones/plan online? Or go into the store? Is $150 a month a reasonable bill, or way overpriced? Does Verizon normally have black friday deals?

Check what the coverage is in your local area by asking friends.

In our area we used to have horrible Verizon coverage, but now it's fine. Basically anything works here now. We have had AT&T, Veritzon, and Sprint phones, and there's no difference.

Where my family is from, nothing but Verizon or Sprint works. AT&T is a no-go with no coverage at all, even roaming.

We dropped Verizon, so bundling doesn't work for us.

My oldest and I went with Republic Wireless for our smartphones. They don't have a lot of choices for phones, but we pay about $54 or less per month for the two of us with rebates if we use less data. These are dual (wireless and cell) phones that automatically switch over, and if you use wireless a lot, you get a rebate. Together our phones were about $300, bought at different times.

DH still has a prepaid, flip phone because the phone basically stays in the car for emergencies, and my younger one has my Blackberry knock-off because she texts and needs to call at times. 

• Like 1

Coverage varies wildly by area, so you'll want to ask around where you live. Local FB groups are a great place to ask about that. We went with AT&T because we could get the best deal and they have good coverage around here.

I would recommend signing up at a Target or some other place that can give you a comparison of multiple companies. When we did that, we got our phones for free when we signed up for a two year contract. It was totally worth it. 

I think we pay $120 a month for two lines sharing 3 gigs of data, so $146 is in the ballpark of normal, though you could probably get it for slightly less if you looked around. There's also maybe ten bucks or so of fees, taxes, etc. each month. Unless your salesperson really screws you, your regular bill should be very close to what you are quoted. The first bill is often more with activation fees and stuff.

Dh and I both have Samsung Galaxies, and we really like them. My mom has an iphone, and she really likes that. My personal opinion is that the Android phones are easier to use and have better OSs, and the iphones have access to better apps. Which is funny, because I prefer Apple computers to PCs, lol. But the iphones I've tried really annoyed me. They seem very non-intuitive to use. You'll probably be happy with either one though.

OK- hubby and I have finally reached a point where we actually "need" smartphones. We have gotten by with prepaid flip phones until now... but there have been about a dozen instances in the past 6 months or so, where we have said, "This would be so much easier/better if we had smartphones."

DH works in a classified facility, and cannot bring a phone into work, but he has a new position where his boss will sometimes need to get in touch with him outside his work hours.

So, we NEED a good coverage network. I am thinking it's best to go with Verizon, am I correct there? We have Verizon for cable/phone/internet- should/can I bundle? Is it cheaper?

Anyhoo, I am going to get us phones for Christmas. I want an iPhone, DH hates Apple, so I was thinking Samsung for him.... I really can't afford to pay several hundred bucks each for two phones at Christmas.... so I was going to do the lease option.

Out of curiosity, I got on Verizon Wireless dot com and chose the phones I wanted, a 3 GB monthly plan, all the wanted options, etc. and it came to paying $68 "now" and $146 a month... is that typical/reasonable for two phones?

We can easily afford that bill... will it actually be my bill, or will my bill be outrageously more than quoted?

I do plan to wait until cliser to Christmas, to see what kind of deals they'll have...

I'm just looking for input here :)

Particulary... should I get my phones/plan online? Or go into the store? Is $150 a month a reasonable bill, or way overpriced? Does Verizon normally have black friday deals?

That sounds high to me. However, I am on an AT&T GoPhone plan. 1 gig data a month. for $45/mo.  So less data. But I've never run out.  And Verizon is typically more expensive.

Thanks!

We're in the DC area, so I'm sure most of the companies have decent coverage here... but we both have families that live in rural areas/states, and we would wat coverage to be good there as well.... I'm really leaning toward Verizon.

I'll ask at Target the next time I am there...

I like my ipod because I like all the icons, apps, itunes, etc. but my DH is a cyber/hacker guy, and *hates* Apple, lol, so I'll definitely be getting him the Samsung.

That sounds high to me. However, I am on an AT&T GoPhone plan. 1 gig data a month. for $45/mo.  So less data. But I've never run out.  And Verizon is typically more expensive.

I don't know if this is still true, but when we were shopping around some of the prepaid plans only used 3g rather than 4g LTE, which would have driven me crazy. So another thing to look at, OP.

If you like Verizon, check out page plus cellular.  They run on verizon lines and you can get unlimited text and talk plus 1 gb of data for $30.00 a month.  They have higher priced plans with more data but even those would still be quite a bit cheaper than the verizon price and you would still be using the exact same lines.  You would have to provide your own phones but those can be as cheap or as expensive as you want.  I just bought my son a brand new smartphone for $20.00.  An iphone will cost you more but if you are open to a used one you can save quite a bit there too.

• Like 1

Also if you want to play by month for the iPhone another option is the plan via Apple...I have been looking at that program for when I am up on my contract because it seems to be the same price as everything else but gives me more options...you get an unlocked iPhone plus apple care.

Thanks!

We're in the DC area, so I'm sure most of the companies have decent coverage here... but we both have families that live in rural areas/states, and we would wat coverage to be good there as well.... I'm really leaning toward Verizon.

I'll ask at Target the next time I am there...

I like my ipod because I like all the icons, apps, itunes, etc. but my DH is a cyber/hacker guy, and *hates* Apple, lol, so I'll definitely be getting him the Samsung.

Consider looking at used smart phones - you would have to do a bit more research, and you won't have the latest newest gizmo, but you will save a ton of money.  Even with a limited shelf life, the pros of buying vs. renting add up quickly with a used phone.  Verizon offers refurbished phones, as does Amazon and a ton of eBay sellers.  We've been happy overall with used phones.

Ask your family what companies cover their areas - they are likely to know.  (For example, TMobile doesn't work in my house; Verizon does.)

That sounds high to me. However, I am on an AT&T GoPhone plan. 1 gig data a month. for $45/mo. So less data. But I've never run out. And Verizon is typically more expensive.

That price is for leasing the two phones, insurance (theft, loss, damage), and 3 GB data, plus taxes and fees.

Is your $45 for one, or two, phones?

Also if you want to play by month for the iPhone another option is the plan via Apple...I have been looking at that program for when I am up on my contract because it seems to be the same price as everything else but gives me more options...you get an unlocked iPhone plus apple care.

Oooh! I'm going to look at that... what does an "unlocked" phone mean?

Consider looking at used smart phones - you would have to do a bit more research, and you won't have the latest newest gizmo, but you will save a ton of money.  Even with a limited shelf life, the pros of buying vs. renting add up quickly with a used phone.  Verizon offers refurbished phones, as does Amazon and a ton of eBay sellers.  We've been happy overall with used phones.

Ask your family what companies cover their areas - they are likely to know.  (For example, TMobile doesn't work in my house; Verizon does.)

This. I have an iPhone and dh has a Samsung Galaxy that are ATT phones, and we use them on Straight Talk. $50 a month for unlimited talk and text, and 5 gig data. Much cheaper than buying a brand new one.

Look for bonuses. My dad just received $300 for switching to Verizon. I received a $600 rebate from Costco for being a new Verizon customer. It was $200 per line for 3 lines. That more than pays for the entry level Samsung smart phone. I think it is called Samsung Prime. Costco's current offer ends at the end of this month. I have no idea if they usually run some sort of offers.

If you and your husband get different phones, you won't be able to share chargers. It's not a huge deal but my husband found it annoying.

Costco offers 14 day returns on phones. My husband tried the IPhone but he didn't like it. I had no trouble returning it with no restocking fee.

Years ago I thought smart phones were unnecessary but now I love them. They are so useful. I'm using one right now. I listen to audiobooks, take pictures, use Google maps to get me where I'm going, and a million other things.

Look for bonuses. My dad just received $300 for switching to Verizon. I received a $600 rebate from Costco for being a new Verizon customer. It was $200 per line for 3 lines. That more than pays for the entry level Samsung smart phone. I think it is called Samsung Prime. Costco's current offer ends at the end of this month. I have no idea if they usually run some sort of offers.

If you and your husband get different phones, you won't be able to share chargers. It's not a huge deal but my husband found it annoying.

Costco offers 14 day returns on phones. My husband tried the IPhone but he didn't like it. I had no trouble returning it with no restocking fee.

Years ago I thought smart phones were unnecessary but now I love them. They are so useful. I'm using one right now. I listen to audiobooks, take pictures, use Google maps to get me where I'm going, and a million other things.

Didn't even think of this! Thanks! I just became a member of Costco... going to keep my eye open for black frieday deals from them :)

The charger thing won't be a big deal... at least not as big a deal as me having to listen to him complain about Apple products, lol!!

I know- I have really put it off for soooooo long. But more and more, I find myself saying, "I could do x, if I had a smart phone." And I find myself looking stuff up a lot on friends' phones when out and about... plus, I schedule all the field trips and moms night outs and such.... and my friends all tell me that I really need a "real" phone so I can be easily reached on outings, haha...

Does that include the phone leasing?

We pay $160/mo for 4 phones with unlimited talk and text and 15gb of data.  With tax it comes to about $172.

Now, that does not include the discount my husband receives through work or the amount his company pays for his line.  After discounts, we pay around $120, including taxes.  That also does not include any leasing or buying of phones.  That is just the plan with AT&T.  We do love the 15gb though.  We can use it as a hotspot when out where there is no wifi, and the kids can freely watch movies streaming when on a long trip.

We pay about $120/mo for four lines, one smart phone with a low amount of data (but puh-lenty for me and I use it often throughout the day).  We're with T-Mobile ... contract free, you can add data if you need it one month, but then still have your lower amount the next month, and you don't have to have a data plan (even with a smart phone).  We've been with T-Mobile for years and years and they've been great.  They do have limited coverage in some parts of the state where I live -- in extremely rural or mountainous areas -- but if you're in D.C., it should be fine.  As others have said, check with others about coverage in your area. 

ETA -- LOVE my Nokia Lumia Windows phone.  Check out the Windows OS if you have the opportunity. 

• Like 1

I have to say that we've used Tracfone prepaid for over 10 years.  I've had great coverage all over the US with them while traveling, and I believe they are on the Verizon network.  They have finally started adding real smartphones and my latest phone is an android LG that I purchased from Home Shopping Network with extra minutes, etc. You are now able to bring your own phones according to the website.  

Hubby uses his at work and I use mine as a home phone and it still costs us under $40 a month for both of us.  Personally, I would hate to lock myself into a contract, but I am on the cheap side.  OK, really cheap side.

I think you will love a smart phone, after years of the flip phones.  I feel so lazy---I speak my grocery list into a shopping app, use the GPS for directions, etc.  Just wish there was an app for bathroom cleaning.  LOL

Does that include the phone leasing?

We pay $160/mo for 4 phones with unlimited talk and text and 15gb of data. With tax it comes to about $172.

Now, that does not include the discount my husband receives through work or the amount his company pays for his line. After discounts, we pay around $120, including taxes. That also does not include any leasing or buying of phones. That is just the plan with AT&T. We do love the 15gb though. We can use it as a hotspot when out where there is no wifi, and the kids can freely watch movies streaming when on a long trip.

Yes, that includes leasing both phones...

Our pre-paid flip phones are through T-mobile, and honestly, part of the reason I'm ready to switch is that coverage with T-mobile is so spotty.

I've been on several field trips where noone could contact me because I had no coverage :-/

Thanks for the replies everyone- this is helpful!

I am going to check out Apple, Target and Costco and keep my eye peeled for black friday deals :)

I am in the DC area and have T-mobile prepaid. If you don't use your phone a lot I think prepaid is the way to go. Much cheaper for me than a plan. T-mobile is great in/around DC but I have had low coverage in parts of VA. I don't have a data plan but can turn it on for a day or by the week. I like to do that when we are going on field trips.

Oooh! I'm going to look at that... what does an "unlocked" phone mean?

unlocked means it will work with any carrier that uses the same type of towers...basically there are 2 types of towers...one that ATT works with and one that verizon works with...so a verizon phone won't work no matter what on ATT but if you have a regional carrier that uses the verizon towers you could use that phone on that carrier...at least that is how I understand it...it means you are not 100% locked into verizon.

Also keep in mind that smartphones now have wifi, and most places you go have it so that cuts down on the usage of your actual data. I almost never turn mine on anymore :) I have ATT with no contract which was cheaper for me than Verizon out here. I paid for the phone outright which I think was cheaper in the long run. 

Re: the Windows phone - I've had one for 2 years and while I love the interface (it's so easy to navigate) I am getting ready to go back to Android. Apps are easier to come by and use of Google's various things is a little problematic on my Lumia with windows. I can't even use Google Docs at all.

You guys are awesome!

Just checked out Costco online, and the deals are way better- $99 for each phone up front, and then it looks like the bill would be $125 a month.

But I'm not in a rush at all, so I think I will wait until Black Friday and see if I can get an even better deal :)

I'm new to the whole Costco thing.... buying phones there would have *never* crossed my mind...