Menu

How do you use chutney?

marbel

I came across this recipe today and it sounds so delicious. I have all the ingredients and just want to make it right now!  It's listed as an appetizer with pate on toast.  I'm not going to make or buy pate.   I don't want to wait till I make turkey to use it.  But, I don't know what else I could do with it.   I'm thinking about just trying it on water crackers...

Any thoughts?  I make a lot of different things and try new recipes often, but for some reason I am stumped here.  

Cranberry-Pecan Chutney

Serve this versatile, zingy condiment with the pâté as a toast topper and with the turkey as a relish.

1 cup apple cider $
3/4 cup fresh orange juice $
1/2 cup sugar $
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 (12-oz.) package fresh or frozen cranberries $
3/4 cup dried apricots, diced
1/2 teaspoon loosely packed orange zest $

1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans $

1. Bring first 8 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove cloves with a slotted spoon, and discard.

2. Add cranberries; increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or just until cranberries begin to pop. Discard cinnamon stick and ginger. Stir in apricots and orange zest; remove from heat. Cool completely. Serve immediately, or chill up to 2 days. Stir in pecans just before serving.

• Like 2

Well, to accompany curry, of course. But also on sandwiches, like a brie and chutney sandwich is good.  I have used it between cake layers as well, but it has to be the right mix of flavours.

I don't buy/make chutney often....because I will eat it right out of the jar.  That blend of sweet and spicy get me every time.

• Like 5

That recipe sounds divine.  I :001_wub: cranberries.  I bet it'd go beautifully with chèvre, on a Carr-type cracker.  Aside from curries, I also put out chutney whenever we have any form of lamb.  It's also nice with apples & cheddar.  Let us know how it turns out!

• Like 2

One of those wood fire pizza places had a wonderful autumn special:  apple chutney pizza.  Instead of tomato sauce, it had apple chutney.  Toppings included thin Granny Smith apples, red onions, and cheddar cheese.  (Ham too but I don't eat pork so I skipped that ingredient.)

I have since made this at home using a caramelized onion/apple chutney that I canned.  I think your chutney would work well in this way too. 

• Like 4

So many great ideas.

We eat a fair bit of Indian food but I didn't think of this with it.  Not sure why.

I will probably not make it till Saturday.  I'll update if it is good!

Thanks!

Indian food is chutney's natural environment. That is is actual purpose in life.

Crap. Now I want Indian food. :drool5:

• Like 3

Indian food is chutney's natural environment. That is is actual purpose in life.

Crap. Now I want Indian food. :drool5:

LOL, you are right.  I meant this recipe seems different.  Maybe the cranberries make me think of Thanksgiving and turkey and not Indian food.  :001_smile:

• Like 1

Ummm, what do you do with chutney and curry? I cook curry regularly but wouldn't know what to do with chutney on the side. Besides eat it with a spoon, of course, but I don't need curry for that.

Please, talk to me like I am a lily-white country girl from Alabama. In other words, when it comes to Indian food words, use small ones.

• Like 2

Our favorite fall dish:

Coat pork chops with a mix of equal parts salt, pepper, and cinnamon and grill, bake, or broil. Top with apple chutney (I make it by the seat of my pants---apples, onions, raisins, salt, apple cider vinegar, a little brown sugar, maybe a little curry powder).

For the recipe you listed, I could definitely see using it with chicken, turkey, or pork.

• Like 2

Ummm, what do you do with chutney and curry? I cook curry regularly but wouldn't know what to do with chutney on the side. Besides eat it with a spoon, of course, but I don't need curry for that.

Please, talk to me like I am a lily-white country girl from Alabama. In other words, when it comes to Indian food words, use small ones.

Kind of like relish.  Or... chowchow?    Is that a southern thing? 

Here in South India chutney is eated with some of the more typical breakfast foods - dosa (kind of like crepes), idli (steamed rice cakes) , vada (fried dough-ish).

Some of our weekly chutneys are - tomato, peanut, coconut and mint.

We wouldn't serve chutney at a regular dinner of rice and a veg. curry.

Sometimes mint chutney is served with a chicken kabob.

That really is all that I have seen done with chutney here.  I think perhaps the traditional Indian chutney was changed a bit by English palates and perhaps what is now known as a "chutney" is a bit more English than Indian. 

• Like 4

Here in South India chutney is eated with some of the more typical breakfast foods - dosa (kind of like crepes), idli (steamed rice cakes) , vada (fried dough-ish).

Some of our weekly chutneys are - tomato, peanut, coconut and mint.

We wouldn't serve chutney at a regular dinner of rice and a veg. curry.

Sometimes mint chutney is served with a chicken kabob.

That really is all that I have seen done with chutney here.  I think perhaps the traditional Indian chutney was changed a bit by English palates and perhaps what is now known as a "chutney" is a bit more English than Indian. 

Cammie, you are not helping my sad no-Indian food situation one bit.

I saw a recipe where someone somehow put chutney and curry powder on popcorn...It sounds very messy and unnecessary, but maybe good?

See, now I am doing it to myself! This has to stop.  

• Like 2

When I am having curry with chutney, this is what happens.

First, I put a really nice pile of glorious basmati rice on the plate.

Then I add a scoop or two of the curry of the day.

On top of that, a plop of raita gets added- plain yogurt with cucumber and tomato diced up in it.

Then, a dollop of chutney on top of the raita.

If I'm really feeling the love, I will also toast some almond slices and sprinkle those over the whole thing.

Then I dive in with a pile of naan- tearing off bits of the bread and using that as a vehicle to get the whole pile of curry love to my mouth.

Dang.  Now I want curry. 

• Like 1

When I am having curry with chutney, this is what happens.

First, I put a really nice pile of glorious basmati rice on the plate.

Then I add a scoop or two of the curry of the day.

On top of that, a plop of raita gets added- plain yogurt with cucumber and tomato diced up in it.

Then, a dollop of chutney on top of the raita.

If I'm really feeling the love, I will also toast some almond slices and sprinkle those over the whole thing.

Then I dive in with a pile of naan- tearing off bits of the bread and using that as a vehicle to get the whole pile of curry love to my mouth.

Dang.  Now I want curry. 

Ok you just blew my mind...you use the naan to eat the rice???

• Like 1

Ha-hah, I do.   I try to tear of pieces that will fit in my fingers like a claw, and reach into my plate and pinch up a pile of the curry/rice/raita/chutney mix.  No utensils required unless I've run out of naan. 

I cannot tell you the number of lectures I have recevied from DH on which curries go with rice and which curries go with chapati or naan.  Next time he pulls that lecture out....I'm going to eat the rice with my chappati and watch his head explode!!

• Like 2