Menu

CA independent homeschoolers: affidavit deadline tomorrow Oct 15

I was just thinking that today. October 1 through 15 will always be indelibly engraved on my brain, lol.

I still forget and call it the "R-4" even though it's been the "PSA" since before little dude was even born. :P

• Like 1

I still forget and call it the "R-4" even though it's been the "PSA" since before little dude was even born. :p

Well, even when it was an actual paper form R-4, it was a Private School Affidavit, so... :)

There were some who used "R-4" as a verb, as in "Did you R-4 yet?" I always thought that was just weird. :D

• Like 1

OT / Rabbit Trail but....why did you decide to do the private school affidavit versus a charter school? Genuinely curious about reasons as most homeschoolers I know in real life in our community use the local charter. No debates or judgements. Just genuinely curious.

• Like 1

OT / Rabbit Trail but....why did you decide to do the private school affidavit versus a charter school? Genuinely curious about reasons as most homeschoolers I know in real life in our community use the local charter. No debates or judgements. Just genuinely curious.

CAVA no longer worked well for DS10 after three years with them (2nd-4th grade) so we did the PSA since last year.
  • Like 1

A charter school doesn't allow the kind of freedom I want as a private homeschooler.

• Like 6

(Warning: I have strong feelings about this. Many people think I'm over-reacting.  Ask me if I care what they think.  I have a right to my feelings, and until you've walked a mile in my shoes... )

We're independent, because the charter we were with (Connecting Waters) bowed down and worshiped at the altar of standardized test scores, and it was a completely soul-destroying experience for my older DD who couldn't keep up (later identified as having learning differences).

I love being independent.  I love not having to justify the teaching decisions I make.  I mean,do you have any idea how much the charter would freak if they knew I was working on number sense and addition facts with my 12 year old?  Oh, the horror! :scared:  When in reality I'm giving this amazing girl exactly what she needs.  

I pulled younger DD from the charter because, honestly, I felt like I was whoring out my homeschool for money.  I felt like such a SELL-OUT.  There were things I did that I found completely meaningless (glares at "Study Island") because the ES required it, and other things I wanted to do (break for December, block scheduling, etc.) that wouldn't work under the charter paradigm.  

So, um, yeah... since you asked that's why we're not with a charter.

• Like 4

A charter school doesn't allow the kind of freedom I want as a private homeschooler.

Exactly.  In addition, in some areas charters seem to hand out cash for you to do your own thing but that's not the case here - you have to choose from a selected vendor list that didn't include things we wanted, the books & supplies are all owned by the charter and have to be returned, etc.  Just wasn't worth it for the financial assistance offered.

OTOH, a friend of mine is a teacher with a homeschool charter on the coast, in another county, and her charter is super flexible with minimal requirements, and people can use the charter money to pay for all kinds of interesting extracurriculars. If we lived there, I might consider it.

• Like 6

We are with a charter now, but when we did it independently it's because we were traveling a bit and needed that freedom to be out of state as we pleased. If we decide to be on the go again, we will drop our charter. Otherwise in our experience I see no difference. But again those charters come in all favors. Ours doesn't dictate anything.

• Like 1

We are with a charter now, but when we did it independently it's because we were traveling a bit and needed that freedom to be out of state as we pleased. If we decide to be on the go again, we will drop our charter. Otherwise in our experience I see no difference. But again those charters come in all favors. Ours doesn't dictate anything.

This is us too. Our charter lets us do our own thing, and simply helps out financially and on the social front for my extrovert.  But, we may buy a 5th wheel in a year or two and travel the U.S. and Canada for awhile. So, we will stay with our charter until it is no longer a fit for our lifestyle and/or academic goals. For now, it's a great fit for us.

• Like 3

Because it works for our family; would you like some bean dip?

• Like 1

I've done both. We got tired of having to make time in our schedule for the meetings and paperwork. We're busy enough.

Dh said if money is the only reason you're doing it, you should just quit. So I did.

• Like 4

I've done both. We got tired of having to make time in our schedule for the meetings and paperwork. We're busy enough.

Dh said if money is the only reason you're doing it, you should just quit. So I did.

I wonder what percentage of people would do it if there was no money, i.e. doing it for accountability, direction, testing, feedback, etc.

I wonder what percentage of people would do it if there was no money, i.e. doing it for accountability, direction, testing, feedback, etc.

If the classes/social opportunities were good enough, I would do it without the money. Most of our funds go toward the charter classes anyway, so the amount we get towards curriculum and extracurriculars is pretty minimal. The charters that don't have classes offer nearly 3X as much in our area. Without that enticement, I think very few would enroll.

• Like 1

CAVA @ San Mateo has 525 kids taking the state common core tests this spring. CAVA doesn't give money except for a small internet allowance per semester if the family income qualifies.

The SARC reports would have the full student count for each CAVA admin location.

• Like 2

We use a charter but I can see both sides of the arguement. Our charter is very relaxed, they even allow unschoolers. The requirements are meeting with an ES 1x a month and handing in 1 "sample" per subject. The sample can be a picture of them making pottery for history or a video of baking for math if you would like. We use most of our money for fun classes like we took a circus class (silks, rings and trapeze bars), cooking classes, horseback riding classes etc. On the flip side I hate having to show someone anything. I hate them questioning my kids about what they've learned. Maybe it's a pride thing but I put so much into homeschooling and it just bothers me feeling like I have to answer to someone. There is much less flexibility for breaks. If we wanted to go to Europe for a month (not that we can afford it) we couldn't. Also some people are anti testing. Dh wants them to be able to have the experiences being involved in the charter affords but I don't find that it helps with our schooling. I plan on pulling out before high school. The rules at that age change quite a bit and at that point I think the charter is a hindrance.

• Like 2