Menu

What is the subject of this sentence?

I guess now and then, as in very rarely, the traditional structure of a sentence is reversed.  So instead of "The kettle sat on the stove," you might say, "On the stove sat the kettle."  "On the stove" is immediately crossed out because it's a prepositional phrase.  So the only thing left that could be the subject is "kettle," even though it's at the end.  Afterall, it is the kettle that is sitting on the stove.  It's just in a strange reverse order.

It's not at all uncommon to see that kind of phrasing in classic literature and even modern novels. It makes sentences sound more complex than they really are. I got really into regency romance novels in high school and saw this quite a bit. The dialogue, you understand, was deliberately antiquated. lol. :)

• Like 1

(I'm not the original poster.) I don't understand why fence is the subject. I understand it is fence when the words are rearranged, but I don't understand how it can be when it is at the end of the sentence.

The fence is still doing the action (being all around the house), whether it is stated forward or backward. The action remains the same. 

• Like 4

The fence is still doing the action (being all around the house), whether it is stated forward or backward. The action remains the same. 

This is how I have to think of it. Start with the verb, is. Is what? All around the house, of course. So what is doing that? The fence. :)

• Like 1

(I'm not the original poster.) I don't understand why fence is the subject. I understand it is fence when the words are rearranged, but I don't understand how it can be when it is at the end of the sentence.

You ask: "Who or what was around the house?"

The fence.

Just because the typical word order in English is SPO does not mean it always has to be.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit".

The hobbit is the subject. At the end of the sentence.

• Like 3