Menu

GF Cheerios recalled

Spryte

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/05/news/companies/cheerios-recall/

They are contaminated with wheat.

Just want to spread the word so no one else suffers.

We think this is the source of a terrible rash around DS's mouth. He is allergic to wheat, but was very excited about GF Cheerios and has been eating them for breakfast every day. The rash has been worsening for weeks, and we decided to make an allergist appt for this week. Then my mother texted me the recall, and... I think we have the answer. Still going to the doc. Ugh.

Spryte, sorry your ds is having to go through this. Just last week I was at the bank cashing a check and the teller was eating a bagel with what looked like peanut butter on it while working. We have no allergy issues but as I watched her go back and forth to the drive thru and to our window, I realized she was probably contaminating a lot of surfaces. Money, drawer, buttons...I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you to alway be on guard. 

• Like 1

Spryte, sorry your ds is having to go through this. Just last week I was at the bank cashing a check and the teller was eating a bagel with what looked like peanut butter on it while working. We have no allergy issues but as I watched her go back and forth to the drive thru and to our window, I realized she was probably contaminating a lot of surfaces. Money, drawer, buttons...I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you to alway be on guard.

Oh my goodness. And you just know that teller would feel terrible if she made someone sick. I remember not being so allergy aware, and miss it.

I'm very disappointed right now. So is DS. But I think we're both sort of relieved to have a probable cause. We'll see what the allergist says this week, too, but pretty sure we've nailed it. Just grateful he's not anaphylactic to wheat (usually just eczema and increased asthma).

• Like 3

I'm sorry about your son!

Thank you so much for the warning!   I just checked the dates on our boxes from Costco.  (I've really appreciated the recorded calls we've received in the past from Costco when there's a product recall for something we've purchased.)

• Like 1

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/05/news/companies/cheerios-recall/

They are contaminated with wheat.

Just want to spread the word so no one else suffers.

We think this is the source of a terrible rash around DS's mouth. He is allergic to wheat, but was very excited about GF Cheerios and has been eating them for breakfast every day. The rash has been worsening for weeks, and we decided to make an allergist appt for this week. Then my mother texted me the recall, and... I think we have the answer. Still going to the doc. Ugh.

I hope that your son is feeling better soon!

I am allergic to wheat, but I'm not willing to try the Cheerios since I also tested allergic to oats.  I don't know if I'm actually allergic to oats or just the gluten cross contamination, but I don't like them enough to find out.

Sorry that your son got sick.   :grouphug:

• Like 1

We were talking with a friend about this the other day!! We didn't want to question them, but just couldn't trust the whole GF all if a sudden? She is highly allergic to gluten and read in some website that their GF announcement was just not very honest. So sorry people are already affected by it :(

• Like 1

We bought them for my daughter who has Celiac. We were so excited to find something that my Celiac daughter and my nut allergic son could eat for breakfast. The joy was short lived as my son ate a few and immediately his throat started closing at the same time my daughter got a crushing headache and ran to the bathroom. He went into anaphylaxis. So Cheerios are off of our trusted list. 

We bought them for my daughter who has Celiac. We were so excited to find something that my Celiac daughter and my nut allergic son could eat for breakfast. The joy was short lived as my son ate a few and immediately his throat started closing at the same time my daughter got a crushing headache and ran to the bathroom. He went into anaphylaxis. So Cheerios are off of our trusted list.

Oh no. Is he ok? So scary.

We have nut allergies here, too. But didn't react that way. Though he did have hives last week, which we thought were viral. Eek.

Oh no. Is he ok? So scary.

We have nut allergies here, too. But didn't react that way. Though he did have hives last week, which we thought were viral. Eek.

He's good now but it was scary for a while. We have a really good allergist and a plan. The plan worked. Doctor thinks it must be almond contamination.

• Like 2

He's good now but it was scary for a while. We have a really good allergist and a plan. The plan worked. Doctor thinks it must be almond contamination.

It sounds like they are making them in the same facility as honey nut Cheerios. They should be labeled a may contain. Ugh. So sorry, and very glad the plan worked.

Note this was in only one factory, so it's not just the date, but also the plant code that is important.  The ones we get are made in the plant with the code CR, the problem was in plant code LD.  We've had no problems at all and my daughter is *very* sensitive to gluten.  It's definitely not sudden that Cheerios are gluten free.  They've been working on it for 6 years, ever since the Honey Nut guy learned his DIL couldn't have them because she has Celiac.

• Like 2

It sounds like they are making them in the same facility as honey nut Cheerios. They should be labeled a may contain. Ugh. So sorry, and very glad the plan worked.

"May contain" statements should be required by law.  I'm not big on pedantic government regulations, but this one is a matter of life and death for a lot of people.  There's no reason for it to be optional in 2015.

• Like 1

Note this was in only one factory, so it's not just the date, but also the plant code that is important.  The ones we get are made in the plant with the code CR, the problem was in plant code LD.  We've had no problems at all and my daughter is *very* sensitive to gluten.  It's definitely not sudden that Cheerios are gluten free.  They've been working on it for 6 years, ever since the Honey Nut guy learned his DIL couldn't have them because she has Celiac.

Interesting.  CR is probably Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  Wonder where the LD is?

I was just talking to DD (who has a gluten  or wheat allergy) and she says she had a mild allergic reaction to General Mills GF Chex. I normally only buy Nature's Path, but when I was away DH bought the Chex and DD ate a little after eating a full dinner. At the time she thought she was allergic to something else in the house (they were sleeping over at a friend's house while travelling and she also has a dust allergy), and taking DH's allergy meds eased off her symptoms (itchy throat and itchy face.)

This is rather scary. :-(