Menu

Learning piano as an adult?

Jerico

I'm tempted to take lessons or try to teach myself. I hesitate because i had a guitar for 10 years and i never got past twinkle twinkle little star. Not sure because i just overall stink at music? Or just didn't care enough?

I could probably only afford a basic digital piano but i don't want to waste my money. Jury is still out on whether my sons would play (i have one kid that will definitely at least play around on it. I think he would be excellent at it with time and teaching).

Anyone else learn as an adult? Or have advice?

Piano is easier to start than guitar. Mastery is a different story, but just starting, way easier. Guitar is hard! My partner is learning piano as an adult.

I do suggest getting a teacher. I learn better with a teacher and am learning guitar. It has been hard. I feel so slow and clunky. I just have to remember to keep at it.

The main thing is to learn for yourself and enjoy the physical process. If you can learn it as a meditative practice, that is really helpful, because no matter how well you do, you always get that time for yourself. You can progress really slowly but the time spent on music is time for you to connect with your body and yourself. My teacher taught me this and I love it! It has really made me love my guitar, though I'm still a novice and it's been over a year now.

• Like 2

I think piano is totally doable as an adult.  I think the biggest key to success is just committing time and a habit.  Commit 15-20 minutes a day for a couple months and I bet you'll surprise yourself!

ETA - I think guitar CAN be approachable on your own.  But it's better if you already know another instrument. 

• Like 1

Piano is FUN and not hard to learn to play at a recreational level.  GO FOR IT!

I suggest looking for a used digital piano, if there is a decent Craigslist in your area.

I think guitar is quite a bit harder.  Piano, just about anyone can learn to peck out a simple melody fairly quickly. The other hand, the harmony, is the trick of it :) But there are so many good beginner books that walk you through it.

Good luck!

I bought a piano while pregnant with my third. Lifelong dream! I started teaching myself, with some occasional input from a piano teacher friend. I'm working on my 5th exam (6th grade) at the moment. I plan to go through to 8th then sit for my teaching diploma, nice career backup plan. But I just love it, I'm so glad I went for it.

Eta, I could already read music and had some theory background so I wasn't starting completely from scratch. I just bought lots of books and practice as much as I can. The exams have been helpful because I needed to learn specific skills/technique/theory.

• Like 1

I've been teaching myself.  I worked through Alfred's adult piano course 1 (there are three) and bastian adult piano 1 (there are two books).  they roughly cover the same material over their entire course (Alfred in 3 books, bastian in 2 books), with enough overlap to not be confusing - but enough difference that there is still learning something new.  sometimes presenting the same thing in a different way can help me to retain it better. 

they are 'all-in-one' in that address theory and technique as well as how to play.  there are also separate books for theory and technique if you wish.  one of them has a few hanon exercises for developing strength and flexibility in your hands and finger.  (the muscle anatomy of the back of the hand was interesting.)

I've since supplemented with appropriate level piano sheet music books and am getting back to the course work.

there's also a lot of free beginner sheet music, exercises, etc online.  even lessons.  and youtube of course.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!

What is the difference between a digital piano and a keyboard besides the keyboards being much more affordable?

Not much craigslist going on around here....

just some of the things to look for in a digital piano.

size of keys,

number of keys

responsiveness of keys re: weighted. 

(and foot pedals)

dd wants a hybrid . . . . even used they start around  $5K.  (at least around here).

What is the difference between a digital piano and a keyboard besides the keyboards being much more affordable?

A digital piano comes in a "case" that looks like a piano and sits at the right level?  With a bench?  And a keyboard sits on a table?  Is that the difference?

Then a "piano" would also come with built in pedals and the keyboard wouldn't.  You could buy a sustain pedal separately.

Or I might not know what I'm talking about.

Get weighted keys if you think this is going to last longer than a couple weeks -- a lot of keyboards that don't even have the full 88 keys come with weighted keys.

A good digital piano would have weighted keys so it feels more like a piano. The volume, tone, and length of the note would be determined by how you play the key. It would have pedals. Keyboards come in various qualities. Some don't have all the keys. The note sounds the same no matter how you play it, and usually plays until you let go. The sound is often more electronic sounding.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Check this one out. Simple, but will teach you the basics about keys, how to sit and correct hand positions. Keep in mind it is mainly geared toward kids but it is nice for someone to explain and show and it is free to watch all of the 90+ lessons he has on there. You can buy sheet music an practice extras if you like as download.

https://www.hoffmanacademy.com/

• Like 1

Check this one out. Simple, but will teach you the basics about keys, how to sit and correct hand positions. Keep in mind it is mainly geared toward kids but it is nice for someone to explain and show and it is free to watch all of the 90+ lessons he has on there. You can buy sheet music an practice extras if you like as download.

https://www.hoffmanacademy.com/

:iagree:

I was just coming to post about Hoffman Academy. It is really amazing. While it is meant for kids, it's completely appropriate to use as an adult. He will teach you not only how to play, but a lot of music theory right from the start which makes it much easier as you progress.