Menu

When you need to get new glasses ...

MamaBearTeacher

no.

I did listen to the gal doing a make-over who told me to stay away from gold wire granny glasses as they age you.  she even had me try on a pair of dark rimmed frames and there was definitely a difference.

when I was picking up this pair, the gal at the optical place thought I was at least 10 years younger than I am because I wasn't wearing gold rimmed granny glasses.  (you know the kind you choose to minimize their visual impact.)

so, embrace the frames visual impact.

Vent:  I've been wearing glasses for 40 years.  No matter how hard I try, in an attempt to choose the least-worst frames, I always end up with something ugly.  I hated my old glasses and got some new, expensive ones last month.  I had been agonizing for months over frames.  I finally settled on some and now I hate them.  What was I thinking??  I need serious help.  I did choose the wire/minimal look and I look ancient even though the frame shape is very modern.  I think I just look awful in glasses.  I'd have gone with plastic, chunky, trendy ones but my head is petite and it's hard to find the right shape.  I need some sort of support group.  Or at least a personal stylist.  (I don't trust the ladies at the optical shop.)

I wish my multifocal contact lenses worked better than they do for near vision.  I save them for social occasions.

I don't look at other people at all.  Very few have my face shape, so what looks good on others may be totally wrong for me. When all my dc were small and had no patience for waiting while I picked out frames, I bought glasses at the pricey shop with the optician who could take one look at me and pick the perfect glasses.  Through that experience, I learned what looked good on me.  Now I'm able to shop at cheaper shops and pick out frames that look good without having to rely on the salespeople.

There is a guy at our old optical shop. I let him pick my glasses for years. Dude never steered me wrong. And he never picked what I thought I liked. I just stick to his advice for a few basic shapes and I do ok (we don't buy glasses at that price point anymore and live far away).

This is what I do. There's no way that I can pick out glasses by myself. The ladies in my eye place are the best. My daughter comes along also and I love her feedback. We both get one pair of new frames every two years. My prescription doesn't change in a major way and I rotate two-three pairs of glasses - wearing a different pair every day. Sounds a bit complicated and odd, but it's fun. :)

This year when it came time for frames, dd and I went to a couple shops, and tried on everything that I thought looked interesting, and dd told me what looked good and what didn't. We took photos of the frames that she liked. I ended up getting a pair at lenscrafters that are nice and I got some compliments on them. I also used the photos we took to look at frames online. That is where I have had some real fun. I bought sunglasses, and computer glasses and I just ordered a pair of these are really fun and cute so I want them. I think I will have a wardrobe of glasses..