Menu

Things to see in Andalucia?

Laurel-in-CA

Do you not want to travel out of Andalucia? When will you be going? (That is, will there be any local festivals anywhere that you'd like to go to? I have fond memories of Semana Celtica in Oviedo for example.)

You really can't go wrong with any of the common tourist places (Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga). There's plenty of not-so-touristy places within all of them. So you can hit tourist hot spots and see off the beaten path stuff too.

Note: While I studied abroad in Spain years ago, I studied in the north. I did, however, do a lot of travelling in the south.

We're going the end of Oct/beg. of Nov. - coincides with my husband's training in Switzerland, so that we can meet up when he's done. Looking for places within driving distance of my brother's house to avoid hotel costs.

Is Halloween or Day of the Dead a big thing in Spain? I thought it was mostly a Mexican holiday.

There are Roman ruins, but it was eleven years ago that I was in Andalucia, so I can't remember the name of the site I went to. It would have been near Sevilla.  In addition to the places already mentioned, I would recommend visiting the Rock of Gibraltar.   I found it fascinating.

Italica is the name of the Roman ruins outside Sevilla. It is just a bus ride away. I studied abroad in Sevilla! It was awesome!

Other places besides Granada, Cordoba, etc.

Toledo, the rock of Gibraltar, Portugal is a day trip, there are many museums in Sevilla, The windmills depicted in Don Quijote are in La Mancha on the way to Toledo, Cadiz, of course cathedrals, monasteries, bars where they do flaminco dancing, etc. There is so much to do!

I know the most about Sevilla because I also studied abroad there. 

The cathedral, 3rd largest in the world, is not to be missed.  Make sure to go to the top of La Giralda (the cathedral spire, which is Moorish, left over from the mosque that was razed to build the cathedral).  From the top you get a beautiful view of the old section of the city.

The Alcázar (palace) is right next door to the cathedral.  While not as big as the Alhambra in Granada, it has a beautiful garden, and the decorative work is still painted, unlike in the Alhambra where it has washed away.

I also wouldn't miss the park.  Interspersed with the semi-tropical gardens are some beautiful buildings built as part of an Expo in the early 1900's.

I'll second Córdoba and Granada.  I unfortunately never made it to Ronda, the Rock of Gibraltar or Itálica, but they sound like great ideas.  Do go to a bar with some flamenco dancing, eat some tapas, and if you can, find a place that sells churros in the morning (when I was there many years ago they were usually sold out of a window in a big paper cone, not in a restaurant).

Toledo and Segovia are awesome, but are not in Andalucía, if that matters - they're near Madrid, much further north.  The Mediterranean coast, on the other hand, is nearby Cádiz and also the south coast of Portugal.

On the way to the coast from Sevilla is Jeréz de la Frontera, where the famous sherry is from.  I bet there are some nice wineries to visit, if you like those.

• Like 1