Menu

Rec. fun, clean songs for boys aged 12?

Alicia64

I grew up listening to Johnny Cash driving from CA to Canada. For a young girl some of it was bad. And some was REALLY bad. Good singing: he's very cool, but not for a 3rd grader. (Meet my parents.)

Anyhoo, I've been much more careful about what I expose my boys to in terms of music. They've heard a lot of:

John Denver

Mariah Carey -- Hero, stuff like that

Stevie Wonder -- You are the Sunshine of my life, clean stuff like that.

Disney's stuff: You've got a friend in me, CARS, etc.

Some Elton John.

It's time to move on.

Can you help me with songs that are fun, but NOT You Shook Me All Night Long or Fat Bottom Girls or If You Want My Body etc.

I'm hoping to find songs that would appeal to young men like the Rocky songs.

I'd love to hear which Beatles, Elvis you'd recommend -- even more modern songs like Jump! Modern country is fine (some of it) like God bless the broken road that lead me straight to you or Pontoon. Plenty of Blake Shelton is fine. Not all, but some.

It doesn't have to be completely devoid of innuendo, but Rod Stewart -- and I love him -- is out! :laugh:

Thanks for any ideas!

Alley

I'm frantically trying to run through Johnny Cash songs in my head. We don't censor much, obviously. ;) Our typical road trip soundtrack involves Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Garth Brooks, Ben Folds, Cake, Paul Simon, so...

Weird Al has some new stuff out, and he has nothing sexual in his music. All of the Beatles and Elvis should be okay. It was published under pretty strict blue laws (or whatever they called it for music). Paul Simon is great. Eric Clapton's Unplugged album maybe?

By Jump do you mean Van Halen?

My older kids like Imagine Dragons. It doesn't pain my ears.

Centuries, Immortal, Uma Thurman by Fall Out Boy

I

The stench, the stench, of summer sex

And CK eternity, oh hell yes

from Uma Thurman

...just saying.  LOL It really depends on the individual and what constitutes clean for them.  Check lyrics!  (That said, my older kids love Fall Out Boy, but my 14yo won't listen to any songs that have sex references, etc.which I'm totally fine with!)

And CK eternity, oh hell yes

from Uma Thurman

...just saying.  LOL It really depends on the individual and what constitutes clean for them.  Check lyrics!  (That said, my older kids love Fall Out Boy, but my 14yo won't listen to any songs that have sex references, etc.which I'm totally fine with!)

6Pack! You beat me to it! I just read the Uma Thurman song because it came up on lists here:

She wants to dance like Uma Thurman

And I can't get you out of my head

Everyone: "the stench of summer sex" ????? for 12 year old boys?! Keeping in mind that I'm raising my boys to be very respectful to the women they'll one day date. It's not just about them. It's also about your daughters.

Clearly, I need to repeat Communications 101 -- because I utterly failed at explaining what type of songs I'm hoping to find. (And can you believe that I'm teaching my boys how to write and use grammar??)

In a nutshell: Jump by Van Halen: fine. Fireworks by Katy Perry: also fine. The "stench of summer sex": not even near the planet of "fine."

Edited to add: I'm not angry, just really surprised. I guess growing up and being exposed to erotic lyrics taught me what I don't want to do w/ my kids. One of the Cash songs is Cocaine Blues with him warbling, "I can't forget the day I shot that bad bi#%* down."

I know it by heart and many others b/c we listened to it all the way from CA to Canada -- and back. (Good Times.)

Alley

6Pack! You beat me to it! I just read the Uma Thurman song because it came up on lists here:

She wants to dance like Uma Thurman

And I can't get you out of my head

Everyone: "the stench of summer sex" ????? for 12 year old boys?! Keeping in mind that I'm raising my boys to be very respectful to the women they'll one day date. It's not just about them. It's also about your daughters.

Clearly, I need to repeat Communications 101 -- because I utterly failed at explaining what type of songs I'm hoping to find. (And can you believe that I'm teaching my boys how to write and use grammar??)

In a nutshell: Jump by Van Halen: fine. Fireworks by Katy Perry: also fine. The "stench of summer sex": not even near the planet of "fine."

Edited to add: I'm not angry, just really surprised. I guess growing up and being exposed to erotic lyrics taught me what I don't want to do w/ my kids. One of the Cash songs is Cocaine Blues with him warbling, "I can't forget the day I shot that bad bi#%* down."

I know it by heart and many others b/c we listened to it all the way from CA to Canada -- and back. (Good Times.)

Alley

I asked if you meant Van Halen's Jump because you said it was modern. I don't know lyrics to all of the songs. I sing "Watermelon watermelon" ;) a bunch. I don't know that I've heard Cocaine Blues.

U2 should have a few ok songs, and they're fairly important in terms of cultural knowledge in the rock genre.

We own that Fall Out Boys CD and have I personally have listened to it in the car repeatedly. 

I even commented on that song to my kids: "This song makes no sense -- I can work a miracle, SHE wants to dance like Uma Thurman, and I can't get YOU out of my head??" 

I had NO idea of that next line.  NONE.

I just looked at the Centuries lyrics (because I do like the way that song sounds)...there are a few lines in there that I don't care for either (Come on, come on and let me in/The bruises on your thighs like my fingerprints).

Bah.

I have no recommendations.  I think we are going back to lyric-less classical music, which was even considered risque in its own time...

A favorite group here is Need to Breathe. We go see them in concert almost yearly. Also Bastille, Imagine Dragons, Owl City, The Fray, & more I can't think of right now. The only one I'd promise is clean is NtB. The rest will need to be googled :).

I grew up listening to Johnny Cash driving from CA to Canada. For a young girl some of it was bad. And some was REALLY bad. Good singing: he's very cool, but not for a 3rd grader. (Meet my parents.)

Alley

While there's a lot I'd avoid at twelve, as someone who has older kids, I'd encourage you to create something of a timeline-to-launch.  Think about what age you'll allow them to listen to, say, Cocaine Blues, and then think about how you'll get there - what are the little steps along the way.  Many folks would rather their dc be exposed to such things while still under their roof and their guidance, rather than encountering them later on, when they may not get the background or context to help them critique the song and decide whether to avoid it or add it to a favorite playlist.  Zero to sixty overnight doesn't work as well as taking it bit-by-bit, with plenty of time for reflection and discussion along the way.

Many of these songs provide a framework for uncomfortable but useful and important discussions.  Cocaine Blues is a good example, as it contains much to discuss - drug use, violence against women, and the dangers therein.  It tells the whole story of drugs leading a man astray, ending with the sage advice to "...listen unto me / Lay off that whiskey and let that cocaine be".  Tie that in with some background on Cash, who struggled with addiction himself.  If your dc is ready for it, bring it forward with Cash's rendition of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt.  Listening to artists who have experienced addiction can send a powerful message that this is a path to be avoided.  It's not just mom saying not to do drugs, it's also coming from artists who have strayed down that path and are speaking with the voice of experience.  

Not every song with adult content is worth a careful analysis and study, of course, but don't throw out the good with the bad.

Now, is this right for a 12 year old?  Depends on the kid, in many cases the answer is no.  Just make sure you're also thinking about when it will be a yes, and how you will get there. (And remember - you turned out OK, despite your parent's ideas of appropriate music for kids!)

Now, is this right for a 12 year old?  Depends on the kid, in many cases the answer is no.  Just make sure you're also thinking about when it will be a yes, and how you will get there. (And remember - you turned out OK, despite your parent's ideas of appropriate music for kids!)

You make many interesting points, but at 12 we're not doing Cocaine Blues. As for your last point, I often say, "And look how messed up I am!!" :laugh: So can't agree with you there. My parents exposed us to loads of inappropriate movies, songs, and TV and I'm pretty sure it wreaked havoc on my TeA-life w/ DH. So, while it's easy to say "and you're fine" I'm not so sure that inappropriate stuff at the wrong age is a great idea.

Some kids can deal with it. I couldn't. I died of embarrassment so many times because I was too young for the content. (I'll never forget seeing a naked Jane Fonda sitting on Jon Voight's lap -- he was in a wheelchair -- in Coming Home. The two were having TeA.)

It cracks me up when people love to say, "kids are resilient." I always want to say, "Have you SEEN most of the people walking around out there?" I wouldn't call most of them "resilient."

I think that oft used comment is not accurate.

I have definite opinions on inappropriate lyrics for younger ages -- because it is damaging. In my case, it's not theoretical. I lived it.

Alley

• Like 1

At that age my son listened to a lot of Beatles. You will have to determine what songs are ok for your kid. I never heard anything that was offensive in what he listened to, but he didn't listen to every single Beatles song that ever was. 

From that he moved on to David Bowie. He still listens to a lot of Bowie. But, now he is 15 and I don't police or monitor what he listens to. I feel like it is time for him to make his own decisions on that front.  Then again, he is fairly conservative when it comes to such things so I don't have to worry. He doesn't like rap or hip hop and he will call his friends out (gently) for listening to sexist music.

He now tends to favour punk, but that is more about raging against 'the machine' than a lot of personal sex and violence type thing.

He generally doesn't listen to popular music. His favorite current band is the Dropkick Murphys