Menu

How much is your teen's auto insurance & what type of car & coverage...

Prairie~Phlox

I'm calling tomorrow to get a couple of quotes on two different vehicles, but I'm just curious what to expect.

Also, what type of coverage do you have?

My dd is 19 and has never been in an accident.  She has been quoted $350 per MONTH.  I just did an online instant quote using her info and assuming that she'd drive a three year old Honda Fit.  It quoted me $478 per month.  I'm guessing that's just pretty basic coverage.

I'm not sure how any young people in this province can ever afford to drive.

My dd is 19 and has never been in an accident.  She has been quoted $350 per MONTH.  I just did an online instant quote using her info and assuming that she'd drive a three year old Honda Fit.  It quoted me $478 per month.  I'm guessing that's just pretty basic coverage.

I'm not sure how any young people in this province can ever afford to drive.

Where can you get a quote without having to fill a bunch of stuff out? Thanks!

BTW, we get discounts for multiple cars on the policy, a good driving record, and a good student discount.  So quotes with just your child listed may be significantly more.  

We have two vehicles &  house insured through this company, so we would get discounts as well, just not sure "how much." Dh has never shopped around and we've been with American Family for over 20 years, I have no idea if we are getting the best rate or not.

I ran quotes a couple of months ago to find out what it would cost to add our son to our policy (or to insure all of us if we switched to a different company). Even without adding an additional vehicle for him, just assuming he was a licensed driver sharing one of our existing cars, it would have cost us an additional $300 per month.

He's 17, has never had an accident (because he doesn't even have a license) and qualifies for a good student discount.

At this point, we've decided he'll just wait until he turns 18 to get his license, unless there's some pressing need for him to do so before then.

Edited to add: Here's an article from last year about costs to insure teen drivers in various states:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/09/23/the-staggering-cost-to-insure-a-teenage-driver/

about $350 a month for a 2014 Chevy Equinox.  17, no accidents, etc.  They will not accept our good student discount for a homeschooler.   Multi-car discount. Brother is over 21, I think his truck is about a 2005 Tundra and his is $150.  

I read an article recently in Consumer Reports that said auto insurers don't only take accidents into account the way they used to. Instead, they also use your credit score. Most of the insurers won't share their formula for how they arrive at a quote. I know with USAA every time they do an annual update on us, our rates increase despite no claims, no accidents, and no changes to our vehicles.  

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/car-insurance/auto-insurance-special-report/index.htm?utm_content=buffer7bcd8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We waited to license until he was 18 and did everything we could (licensed driving instructor, good student discount). To share a 2007 van with me, it's about $100/mo. extra, and that includes doubling our umbrella liability policy.

If they are the sole driver and/or if they get the vehicle in their own name, it would be significantly more.

ds20. $70ish/mth.  2001 Volvo S40.  Full coverage with Allstate on our policy.   We have various discounts. 

When I called for a quote for him on a 2001 VW golf at State Farm, it was about the same. (Our policy after all our discounts)

It was cheaper to insure him on his own car (under our policy) than to add him to our cars due to value of the vehicles.

You might want to look into buying a very old, cheap vehicle for his insurance. You can get liability only, and he doesn't have to drive that car if you would rather him drive a different one of your vehicles (he'll be covered for all the family's vehicles). -At least that's the advice my agent gave me. If you're trying to save money, you don't want to add him to a nice vehicle with full coverage.

• Like 1

You might want to look into buying a very old, cheap vehicle for his insurance. You can get liability only, and he doesn't have to drive that car if you would rather him drive a different one of your vehicles (he'll be covered for all the family's vehicles). -At least that's the advice my agent gave me. If you're trying to save money, you don't want to add him to a nice vehicle with full coverage.

I don't think this is possible in every state. In my state, you can't get coverage for a dependent teen on just one vehicle in the household. They must be covered for all vehicles, even ones you would never allow them to drive.