Menu

The good news....

Dmmetler

Is that DD10 finally agreed that getting rid of several inches of her waist-length hair would be easier to manage.

The bad news is that she did it herself last night, after I'd headed to bed and DH was up on his computer (and an atom bomb could go off without him noticing).

Oh, well...it'll grow back....

• Like 8

Oh geez. DS did that around age 10 or 11. I heard a voice from the top of the stairs: "Mommy, how old do you have to be to cut your own hair?"

Answer: "Never! You're never old enough to cut your own hair!"

Result: The only way to repair the damage - first crew cut of his life.

When I was 3 I took the scissors and cut my hair on the left side of my head in a straight line from above my ear to the middle of the back of my head right at the scalp. The pictures for months following that were not pretty. :)

It's actually not too horrible, but it's just short enough in front to be hard to pull back, which isn't great for a cheerleader needing a high ponytail. I've been telling her to do things for herself instead of asking for someone else to do them, so I guess I kind of got what I asked for-but I've now told her that next time she wants to change her hairstyle, we can call and make an appointment at the Paul Mitchell styling school :).

• Like 6

When I was eight my mom specifically told me how very much trouble I would get into it I cut my own hair. It was down to my butt and SHE loved it.

One day she made the mistake of dropping me off to get my hair trimmed at one of her friend's houses (who happened to cut hair at a local salon). My hair was in a braid and I somehow convinced the poor woman that my mother finally said it was okay to cut it all off. When my mom turned up 20 minutes later I had the cutest, shortest pixie cut😄

Needless to say mom was not amused.at.all.

She got her revenge however by inflicting the most horrid home perm on my very short hair to make me 'look like a girl.' She also got me plastic eyeglasses with the pink plastic bow perched jauntily above the right eye😥 I can't even look at pictures from that time period without shuddering.

• Like 3

When I was maybe 11yo, I took a "mini course" in hair styling at school.  (They used to have an annual "mini course day" where you could learn all sorts of different things from parents and other volunteers.)  I told my mom what I'd learned.  Beginning then, she let me cut my own hair.  The next time I let anyone else cut it, I was probably around 30.

Tell her I have thigh length hair and cut it myself as an adult. There are a bunch of great online tutorials about cutting longer hair at home. So if she wants to regrow it and experiment down the road hunting down those tutorials could be a really fun learning experience for her :)

Hey, I let my oldest son (8) cut his and his brothers hair. I draw the line only at my hair.

For some still unknown reason, my mom let me give her a perm when I was 12 years old.(this was in the '80's when home perms were popular) Surprisingly, it turned out pretty well. I just cannot imagine letting my dc do anything to my hair.😧

• Like 1

Lol. My now dd7 cut her hair multiple times when she was 4/5. Each time we had to go and have it fixed. The third time this happened the women at the hair salon told her and needed a license to cut hair and that the police didn't want people without a license cutting hair.

When she did it again, they called the police station. An officer came to the salon to talk to her. She NEVER cut her hair again.

(And yes, we live in an incredibly small community with hardly any crime. Though, it does happen, it is rare. Like once or twice a year rare. The police really are "community helpers" here)

Op, sorry! It will grow back

• Like 3

Anyone else have kids that cut other kids' hair?? Our son cut a chunk of hair off the girl sitting in front of him in first grade, before we homeschooled. We got an envelope with a lock of hair and a note from his teacher. Our daughter, when she was five, cut a little boy's hair so close his parents shaved his head to "fix" it. Her explanation? "I asked if I could cut his hair and he said yes"

Oh my, I got a good chuckle out of this as my dd did the same last year at 9yo. For a long time I'd been telling her that if she didn't want to take care of her hair then it needed to be cut. Hers was not quite waist length and she always got that big knot behind her neck that takes delicate detangling work and results in lots of tears. So after a time of this she decided to take matters into her own hands and cut most of it off to about shoulder length. It was crooked and crazy but she loved it and refused to let me or anyone else fix it. And she still wears it like that--short and choppy. I guess it's her style now. :001_rolleyes:

• Like 2

Only one of mine has ventured into self-hair cuts.  She was around 3.  She and her twin sister had very quietly gotten up before I did one morning.  I found them sitting at the little table in the kitchen with glue, paper and scissors.  DDM, however wasn't cutting paper.  She had crocodile tears rolling down her cheeks and was trying desperately to glue the hair back on.  I nearly fell over laughing.  

She still gets upset when her hair is cut, even though she requests it herself!

• Like 1

My kids' first venture into hair cutting was a little scary for me at first.  They had just started preschool at age 2.5.  My eldest, already petite and skinny, had been losing weight because she didn't like any of the food they gave her.  One morning I found hair on her pillow, and I thought, oh my gosh, her hair is falling out.  :P  But something about the behavior of my other kid gave them away.  I was quite relieved.  :P