Menu

I must be so out of it....

ProudGrandma

it's a brand.  some things are good, some are average.   most things I can get better quality from some other brand.

eta: I've yet to find anything they make so wonderful and better than everyone else I have to buy their version. 

I wonder if there are a couple of tiers of their clothing.  I don't think their t-shirts or regular shirts are anything extra...but at least back in the day, their stuff was *great* for skiing...lightweight, warm, flexible.  Maybe it depends on the product...they have probably expanded beyond their area of specialty, leveraging the brand name. 

I wonder if there are a couple of tiers of their clothing.  I don't think their t-shirts or regular shirts are anything extra...but at least back in the day, their stuff was *great* for skiing...lightweight, warm, flexible.  Maybe it depends on the product...they have probably expanded beyond their area of specialty, leveraging the brand name. 

It could be they've decreased quality as they've stretched their reach, too.  I know that was an issue with Land's End for me.

It was original made and marketed to be worn under body armor which is where the name came from. Police officers wore it (and I would assume military, but I don't know for sure) long before it became popular to the general public. Wearing a vest in 100+ temperatures in the houston area is simply miserable. I don't know if the fabric used for the general public is different than what is sold to police officers.

The compression shirts are good (and overpriced).  The noncompression shirts are good, but there are other brands that are equally as good.  I have a son who wears only athletic wear, and his favorite are the silky type athletic shirts.  He has some from Old Navy which are not as good quality.  We have an Under Armour outlet nearby with some good deals on these shirts so I recently stocked up my son's wardrobe from there.

We've been happy with their quality. DH prefers their compression gear, undershirts, and boxer briefs. DS's Under Armour athletic shirts hold up better than other brands, and they're very breathable and good at wicking. DH is the shopper and finds deals on them.

DS is an athlete, training 20+ hrs/wk, and he likes Under Armour and Nike brand athletic tees the best. He has some Reebok tees, too, but rarely wears them (doesn't like the fabric or fit).

The one area where I think Under Armour is definitely worth the extra money is underwear. DS will only wear UA boxerjocks — they wick moisture really well, no chafing seams, wear like iron, and come out of the wash totally clean and unsmelly. There's no visible difference between pairs he's had for 3 years and pairs we bought a few months ago (when he forgot to pack any underwear for a trip, oy).

The company was started by a guy who played football for university of Maryland. He decided to solve the problem of the sweaty t shirt. His team mates were drafted and played in the NFL. He made prototype t shirts and sent them to former team mates. They tried them out and sent comments. Then he made changes until they started asking for another shirt. So the first product was a shirt that was meant to be a first layer under uniforms, hence under armor.

They used to be very detail oriented in managing quality. When they first launched a women's line, they ended up delaying the launch and redesigning the whole line.

I think they no longer have real mission besides putting out a lot of product. I do love the Misty Copeland endorsement and commercials. I love a dancer being showcased as an athlete by a mainstream athletic company.

The compression shirts are good (and overpriced).  The noncompression shirts are good, but there are other brands that are equally as good.  I have a son who wears only athletic wear, and his favorite are the silky type athletic shirts.  He has some from Old Navy which are not as good quality.  We have an Under Armour outlet nearby with some good deals on these shirts so I recently stocked up my son's wardrobe from there.

My son the dancer wears a lot of athletic-type clothing, too. He is very slender and has trouble finding clothing in which he doesn't look like he's swimming (or playing dress-up in his dad's clothes). A compression shirt is one of the very few things he's ever found that is both comfortable and flattering, and he much prefers the fit of Under Armor's stuff to the cheaper versions. 

However, he recently bought several BCG brand shirts from Academy Sports that were less expensive than the comparable ones I've bought at the Under Armor outlet and were available in a much wider selection of colors and patterns. He's been wearing them for a couple of weeks and has been quite happy with the fit of those, too.

• Like 1

My son the dancer wears a lot of athletic-type clothing, too. He is very slender and has trouble finding clothing in which he doesn't look like he's swimming (or playing dress-up in his dad's clothes). A compression shirt is one of the very few things he's ever found that is both comfortable and flattering, and he much prefers the fit of Under Armor's stuff to the cheaper versions. 

However, he recently bought several BCG brand shirts from Academy Sports that were less expensive than the comparable ones I've bought at the Under Armor outlet and were available in a much wider selection of colors and patterns. He's been wearing them for a couple of weeks and has been quite happy with the fit of those, too.

I'm glad to hear this.  We have an Academy close by.  When I say my son wears these shirts exclusively, I mean unless he is headed to church or a funeral.  That and athletic shorts are his uniform.  He is headed to his third day of a basketball camp today wearing this uniform.  :D

I know they're very popular for dancers and cheerleaders.  My dd has quite a few pairs.  I think part of the reason they stick with one brand is to make sure the colors are an exact match when that is needed.  She needed a few pairs of orange shorts for cheerleading in high school.