Menu

Ways to make shots easier for a teen?

lewber

DS13 has to get his vaccination boosters tomorrow. I guess no one likes shots, but he really doesn't. He's a fainter and not very pain tolerant  :huh:  We have the pain cream, and I am planning on giving him some ibuprofin before hand, but are there any other tricks out there for older kids? I'm not sure the sucker distraction will still work. If it matters he's getting his DTAP booster and his first meningitis. 

Thanks! 

On WebMD, they do say that Tylenol can weaken the immune response to a vaccination.  I think that is what they are talking about.  The idea is that using a pain reliever that is also a fever reducer can weaken the immune response because fever is a desired immune response.  So, prophylactice ibuprofen is probably not a good idea, but the topical numbing cream can be a good idea. 

• Like 2

Headphones and watching movie on the iPad?

That could be disorienting if he faints though.

I tried that a couple of times, it didn't stop my physical reaction.  But it might help him relax some if that makes any difference.  I always thought as an adult who was no longer "afraid" of needles it would just go away.  It did not.  :glare:

I was a fainter, but I've gotten over it for the most part. I think talking about it, and just being prepared for the reaction can help. I think something went in my chart when I was a kid because the nurses were ready with cold compresses and had me lay down for a blood draw until I aged out of my pediatrician' office.

I got a lot better after going through all the blood work when I was pregnant the first time. It's not a guarantee, but there is a chance it will improve. I have given up donating blood because I came very close to fainting after both times I have, but I think that's because I'm barely heavy enough to donate when I'm not pregnant or immediately postpartum.

DS13 has to get his vaccination boosters tomorrow. I guess no one likes shots, but he really doesn't. He's a fainter and not very pain tolerant  :huh:  We have the pain cream, and I am planning on giving him some ibuprofin before hand, but are there any other tricks out there for older kids? I'm not sure the sucker distraction will still work. If it matters he's getting his DTAP booster and his first meningitis. 

Thanks! 

That should do it, and look away.  I feel for him, I am a total chicken.

I can't believe my dd 19 gives herself weekly injections with a 1 1/2" needle, she is so brave.

My dh has always been a fainter. I think it's genetic. He had shots to go to Haiti a couple of years ago. When they shots were finished, he said, "that was fine" and promptly started to faint from a seated position. My ds is the same way. We just insist he lay down or stay seated and drink juice.

That sounds like a stretch. Any links about that?

What she said is what I was remembering:

On WebMD, they do say that Tylenol can weaken the immune response to a vaccination. I think that is what they are talking about. The idea is that using a pain reliever that is also a fever reducer can weaken the immune response because fever is a desired immune response. So, prophylactice ibuprofen is probably not a good idea, but the topical numbing cream can be a good idea.

• Like 1

Have him lie down instead of sitting up, that will help with the fainting. Keep him lying down for several minutes afterwards. And have a nice cold can of coke ready too. Cold helps with the fainting (like a cold compress does) and the sugar and caffiene help with the nervous system response. I swear by it for that kind of thing. Being afraid has nothing to do with it, I'm not afraid of needles, and it has happened to me. It's an automatic nervous system thing. But it can cause fear of needles, because you are afraid of fainting. Cold coke plus the laying down thing helps me tremendously. 

• Like 3

this may or may not help - but it is what I did for dudeling when I was giving him daily injections. he could work himself up into hysterics before even seeing the needle.  I'd get him fast food before a blood draw too. (something that was a big deal for him.)  the first time he had a blood draw - it took three people to hold him down (and a fourth to do the injection) and they sent him to their main clinic.

anyway - gave him my phone - he could play a video, game, etc. whatever made him happy. threw a blanket over him like a tent.  for several weeks, I did have an older sibling hold and talk to him.

but he'd stick his leg out so he could have the shot. (that required holding the needle in his thigh for nearly a minute.)  I did tell him - but because he didn't "see" it, he was able to be downright rational and in control. (even though he still felt some anxiety.)

• Like 1

I'm a fainter and never got over it.  This in spite of loving all things medical and desperately wishing I could work in a medical field.  Sorry, I think it's just something he may have to always deal with.

as much as I hate getting shots - it doesn't hurt me to give one to some one else.  ;)

• Like 1

My niece was absolutely horrible when it came to shots and blood draws. She has said that she hated it because she was old enough to feel foolish about being so afraid of something she knew she shouldn't be afraid of. 

Pre-shot pain relief and having him look away are about the only things you can do. Have him lie down for a bit after the shots (or during as some posters suggested) might help ward off fainting.

Good news is though, that now it does not bother me at all.  So people do often get over that.

My niece turned 27 last month and she's been fine for years. It does eventually go away for most people. She has twins now who it turns out are not bothered at all by needles. If it's genetic, fortunately they got their father's lack of fear of shots. 

Thank you all. He's used to fainting 😉 he's been diagnosed with vasal vagal syncope. I just don't know how to help him not get so worked up before hand. Im going to look at the tapping method. I've read that on here several times but I have no idea what it actually is😀

He's never had a coke or any caffeinated beverage, but that's worth a try. His dr is about 45 minutes away, so he'll get fast food on the way there. Hoping the salt and sugar will help keep his blood flowing.

He loves music so maybe listening to music will be a distraction.

• Like 1

Ask if they have numbing spray. Our ped doc has all of his nurses offer it.  My oldest (18) says that he really doesn't notice a difference with or without, but maybe it does help with that first sting at least.

Shots don't bother me at all, but I did allergy shots for ten years. 

What part does he fear?  Is it the fact that he knows that he will pass out?  Having him lay down and practice some deep breathing practice might be helpful. 

You could try it my way and just tell him to "suck it up buttercup" which is what I tell my DD regularly when she starts freaking out about something like this.  After 11 months on Accutane with blood draws every month and occasionally twice in the same month, she's finally gotten over her fear of needles (the first few times it was full on panic mode), but she still has her favorite phlebotomists and one she avoids like the plague. 

My DH faints with needles even though he's not scared of them. He's gotten much better with a couple recent things: lie down for the shot and have cold orange juice ready to go afterwards. He doesn't faint anymore and is even gradually able to sit up and feel fine faster and faster.

For the fear, I really was afraid of shots at that age and have gotten much better now. Looking away, talking/joking casually with the doctor, deep breath, and focusing on offering it up (in a spiritual sense). All those have helped me to be much more relaxed about shots and blood draws.

• Like 1