Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW31: analogical august

Robin M

I started listening to A History of God by Karen Armstrong yesterday.  It's totally, completely fascinating.  The discussion of the historical context of the development of the monotheistic religions is so interesting and enlightening. I'm going to have to listen to the whole section on Islam again, I have learned so much already.

That's been on my tbr list for a long time now

• Like 9

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the birthday wishes, everyone!  Dh and I left the dog with the college boy and spent the night at a resort in the nearby wine country -- wine tastings, massages, pool side reading, ridiculously good food.  It was rough.  I also got to have lunch with an old college chum who shares a love of British mysteries!

Lots of interesting conversation here over the last few days.

It's just . . . I feel so lonely in a world where nobody thinks, talks, or cares about the stuff I do.  I'm not saying my stuff is better or more important (though obviously I must think so, or I wouldn't do it).  I just feel lonely IRL.  

Thank goodness for you guys!  :)

I was struck by Fahrenheit 451 when I read it for the first time several years ago. It came across to me like a manifesto for homeschooling!  Clarissa and her family reminded me of most of the homeschoolers I've known -- we enjoy each other's company, like to talk and do things together, we treasure books and ideas.  I thought the entire book was very prescient with the tv walls and "shells" in every person's ears for listening to music and the soundtracks of tv. 

I do read more then most of my friends and neighbors, and I'm not sure how many of my neighbors also get and read the morning paper. But I also find other readers in the most extraordinary places -- the quilting retreat I went to a few weeks ago was filled with readers. Having a husband and son in the entertainment industry keeps me up to date with much of pop culture, though I'm watching less and less mainstream tv. (I've a weakness for House Hunters on HGTV, though, lol!)  

My dh is not a huge reader of fiction, though he really enjoyed The Martian and before that it was Feed, I think, (zombie series?).  He does enjoy non-fiction especially now that my ds and I have introduced him to the joys of audiobooks.  

I haven't convinced anyone in my family to try the Master and Commander series! My college boy gave up on the first one so I told him to start a little further in, recommended a specific title, but he hasn't tried it yet.  I even had him read Jo Walton's essay on why the series is like the best sci-fi, and he wasn't swayed.  Ah well.

Kareni -- thank you once again for all the cool links you share!  I especially appreciated the Ursula Le Guin essay on Go Set a Watchman because she beautifully articulated thoughts that were just vague, unformed impressions in my head.  I come from a long line of Southerners, though I never have lived there, and have heard all the condescending comments about Southerners, witnessed my own mother's complex reactions to race and racism. The book ultimately didn't draw me in, so I read the beginning and then the end to see what all the fuss was about, and liked that ultimately Atticus is a flawed man but by no means an evil one. 

• Like 10

Kareni -- thank you once again for all the cool links you share!  I especially appreciated the Ursula Le Guin essay on Go Set a Watchman because she beautifully articulated thoughts that were just vague, unformed impressions in my head.  I come from a long line of Southerners, though I never have lived there, and have heard all the condescending comments about Southerners, witnessed my own mother's complex reactions to race and racism. The book ultimately didn't draw me in, so I read the beginning and then the end to see what all the fuss was about, and liked that ultimately Atticus is a flawed man but by no means an evil one. 

:iagree:  I was going to read it, then wasn't based on all the hype, but now I am again.  I thought that was a wonderful and insightful essay.  Sometimes life, and people, and books, are complicated, right? That's what makes it real. March, which I just finished, portrayed Mr. March as a highly nuanced character with many flaws to temper his admirable qualities. And the difference between his self-perception, revealed in the sections in his POV, and his wife's perception of him and his choices, was so heartbreaking. Even when we love each other it can be so hard to understand one another, can't it?

• Like 8

Last week I picked up The Maze Runner by James Dashner because it was a book Aly wanted me to read this year.

<snip>

The challenge for the month of August is to read a book you were supposed to read in high school but didn't.  The only book I didn't actually read in high school was The Red Badge of Courage  :ack2:   I only skimmed it to answer the questions.  Here's hoping that some maturity may make it more palatable this time around.

I'm still avoiding The Maze Runner.  My daughter really, really wants me to read all four of them (the fourth is a prequel - The Kill Order).

The Red Badge of Courage is the only book I didn't read when I was high school age that I was supposed to read as well.  I had a private tutor at that point and I skimmed the book and read the book club discussion in the back of the edition she gave me to read.  We had one on one discussions and she told me I was the only highschooler she had ever had the pleasure to work with who understood the book so well.  I've always been rather proud of that.  I'll be reading it for my special 52 book challenge for the year.  I'm not looking forward to it.

• Like 7

Karen and Rose and whoever else has read Boorstin's The Discoverers,   please weigh in.  How did you all pick and choose what chapters to read for history studies for your kiddos?  I've been thumbing through and its so jammed packed, hard to decide.  

• Like 7

Karen and Rose and whoever else has read Boorstin's The Discoverers,   please way in.  How did you all pick and choose what chapters to read for history studies for your kiddos?  I've been thumbing through and its so jammed packed, hard to decide.  

Robin, I haven't figured out how to use Boorstin's books with dd yet.  I love the idea of them, but they are a little above her head at this point, I've kind of been saving them for high school - meaning kicking the decision down the road!  There is this one really amazing thread from awhile back where people shared ideas about how to use them, let's see if I can find it.  Ah, here it is:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/207482-what-type-of-books-are-the-daniel-boorstin-trilogy/?hl=%2Bboorstin&do=findComment&comment=6149082

Totally inspiring thread.  I still think about this - we did really super integrated studies last year and will do it for 8th, too.  I can see using these books in some kind of uber-integrated way.  Do let us know what you decide!

• Like 6

Robin, I haven't figured out how to use Boorstin's books with dd yet.  I love the idea of them, but they are a little above her head at this point, I've kind of been saving them for high school - meaning kicking the decision down the road!  There is this one really amazing thread from awhile back where people shared ideas about how to use them, let's see if I can find it.  Ah, here it is:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/207482-what-type-of-books-are-the-daniel-boorstin-trilogy/?hl=%2Bboorstin&do=findComment&comment=6149082

Totally inspiring thread.  I still think about this - we did really super integrated studies last year and will do it for 8th, too.  I can see using these books in some kind of uber-integrated way.  Do let us know what you decide!

Oh wow, okay. Thank you. What a great link.   Jackie's mind map is quite inspiring. I'll have to give that a try.  Didn't think of matching it up with our science studies as well.  Lots more to think about. 

• Like 6

OT.... Dh & I saw the new Mission Impossible movie tonight & totally enjoyed it. Thumbs up from us -- just the kind of action movie my fried brain needed.

We saw Mission Impossible a few nights ago and really enjoyed it, too. That motorcycle chase scene was pretty incredible.  Today the college boy and I balanced out our movie going with Mr. Holmes, the antithesis of MI!  Loved it, too.

Btw, my stage tech ds was cracking up over all the stuff at the opera in Mission Impossible.  Don't want to give any spoilers, so whiting it out:  the sliders on the lighting control board definitely do NOT control the raising and lowering of the trusses of lights.

• Like 6

We saw Mission Impossible a few nights ago and really enjoyed it, too. That motorcycle chase scene was pretty incredible.  Today the college boy and I balanced out our movie going with Mr. Holmes, the antithesis of MI!  Loved it, too.

Btw, my stage tech ds was cracking up over all the stuff at the opera in Mission Impossible.  Don't want to give any spoilers,

We want to see Mr. Holmes too. I agree that the motorcycle chase scene was incredible. I tend to love car/motorcycle/vehicle chases in movies & this movie definitely fit the bill for that! I personally liked the seatbelt question partway through the scene. :lol: Fun cast too, imo.

Lol about the opera scene.

• Like 6

Karen and Rose and whoever else has read Boorstin's The Discoverers,   please weigh in.  How did you all pick and choose what chapters to read for history studies for your kiddos?  I've been thumbing through and its so jammed packed, hard to decide.  

And I'll confess that we never did get around to using Boorstin's books.  (Does it count that they sat on the shelf throughout my daughter's high school years?)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I just finished Candide. I picked it up since it was on the Mensa list. It's funny my original goal for reading through the list was to encourage my girls as they read through the list for their age range but I am just loving these books. Candide was a book I really had no knowlege of prior to picking it up. It's short and a very easy read. The book is a satire about optimism but even more it is about the philosophical belief that everything on this earth is for the greater good. It was funny, sad and a little shocking at points. My plan was to start to Kill a Mockingbird but I started reading Candide and couldn't put it down.

• Like 12

Dh took me to see Mr. Holmes. It was not what I expected, but it will stay with me for a long time. It felt like I received a personal revelation, one I was not sure I wanted to hear. The movie was beautifully done.

On another note Dh and I agreed In The Woods with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte was the only preview we were both enthusiastic about. I'm panicked because I've just got to read Bill Bryson's book first! My unread stacks are huge,that would add one more. It looks like a library and book buying fast after that, for a while.

I'm currently reading The Last Bookaneer by Matthew Pearl.

• Like 8

I'm still avoiding The Maze Runner.  My daughter really, really wants me to read all four of them (the fourth is a prequel - The Kill Order).

The Red Badge of Courage is the only book I didn't read when I was high school age that I was supposed to read as well.  I had a private tutor at that point and I skimmed the book and read the book club discussion in the back of the edition she gave me to read.  We had one on one discussions and she told me I was the only highschooler she had ever had the pleasure to work with who understood the book so well.  I've always been rather proud of that.  I'll be reading it for my special 52 book challenge for the year.  I'm not looking forward to it.

Well, The Maze Runner books are keeping me wanting to know what happens next.  Though I'm a little tired of the trials.  At least they are quick reads  ;)

LOL on your Red Badge of Courage story.  I don't know remember how I bs'd my way through but I did.  I will be sure to give my review of it so you are prepared  :001_tt2:

• Like 7

Some time ago a friend suggested I read The Color of Water by James McBride.  I finally got around to reading it (fits the category of a book recommended by a friend for my special challenge).  I finished it this morning.  It is excellent.  My friend was right.  The chapters mostly alternate his mother's words telling her life story and his memories of growing up as one of 12 black kids born to a white, formerly Jewish, mother.  All twelve graduated from college and many got graduate degrees and his mother got her bachelor's degree at age 65.  They were very poor, but pulled themselves out of the projects.  His mother emphasized the importance of education and, most importantly, loved them.

• Like 9

Some time ago a friend suggested I read The Color of Water by James McBride.  I finally got around to reading it (fits the category of a book recommended by a friend for my special challenge).  I finished it this morning.  It is excellent.  My friend was right.  The chapters mostly alternate his mother's words telling her life story and his memories of growing up as one of 12 black kids born to a white, formerly Jewish, mother.  All twelve graduated from college and many got graduate degrees and his mother got her bachelor's degree at age 65.  They were very poor, but pulled themselves out of the projects.  His mother emphasized the importance of education and, most importantly, loved them.

James McBride is also the author of The Good Lord Bird, which I read earlier this year & loved. I had heard that The Color of Water is excellent, so I'm glad to read your review of it too, Heather.

• Like 6

I have posted recently about enjoying a mystery a few months ago by Judith Cutler and decided to check out the first one in another of her series called Life Sentence. It was good but not quite the average police procedural mystery. It had more depth or it might just have spoke to me and my life somewhat more clearly than most other books of that type. The main character was a 50ish female Cheif Superintendent in the Kent police force who is being forced to retire in order to care for her elderly parents. That part of the story was very depressing. Because of her impending retirement she is stepping away from her usual role in the department and takes over trying to solve a cold case of a woman who has never been identified after being beaten into a vegetative state. Her attackers have never been found.

I guess the whole book is a bit depressing when I read what I just wrote. It does have good (happier) parts. She finds romance..... The crimes are solved in an interesting way but this isn't very fluffy. I did like it enough to check the next one out. :lol: In part I want Jenn and Jane to be warned that this definitely isn't Miss Marple. Not has gritty as some but a bit grim.

• Like 5

1. I've been reading Stephen King's On Writing. It's excellent.

Now, I have always shied away from his fiction, because I am not interested in the scary/horror genre... I am a very gullible/trusting reader and I don't like to be led somewhere that will be disturbing and stay with me longer than I want. I started reading this book because I am a writer and I want to learn more about how writers write, and I have liked the non-fiction pieces I've seen of his here and there, and I had a recommendation so I thought I'd try it.

Whoa, he is a phenomenal writer. He is the cat's meow! In short, he's great.

I would like to read more of his writing... so, can any of you ladies recommend any of his books books which are NOT extremely scary or disturbing? Thanks!

2. I finished Angels in Revolt by Anatole France. It is the favorite book of my best friend, a professor of literature, so I got ahold of it. Very, very strange and interesting book. It was written about 1900, in French. A man's guardian angel starts reading books in a huge library: theology, history and philosophy --and becomes convinced that God is evil. A lot of angels agree to join his revolt, and they come down to live in France and start living as starving artists/musicians in garrets, and adopt political views like anarchism, communism, etc. They take mistresses and start raising money to finance their revolt. Their existence is also wound up with the story of the members of a French family of several generations, some of whom are sincerely religious and some are not. There are many scenes which are very funny, but I think the translator did not make as much of the humorous aspect as she could have (I can't read French). In the end the devil/angels are ready to attack Heaven, and they meet with the devil himself, who considers their plan and finally decides that there is no need to attack Heaven to overthrow God, since the devil/angels have already pretty much taken over Earth by means of anti-God politics and philosophy. The author has a very clear understanding of both atheism and religious faith, as if from personal experience, so I am curious to know him better. I have purposely not read any reviews of this book, or the author's bio, so I can encounter the book on its own terms. Later I will do these things. An interesting conversation, also, will be had with my friend, who loves this book so-- she is an archconservative Orthodox Christian (who lives in a primarily Orthodox country)-- and we will have a lot to talk about here! She felt probably the same on finding out that my favorite book is The Man Who Was Thursday-- another book which also has some aspects of rebellion against God, and in the universe of both books, God is not unequivocally good.

Thanks for reading this long post!!

• Like 7

Also, I found this review interesting: the New Yorker review of Go Set a Watchman. Adam Gopnik points out that the characters are not introduced: you are expected to know already who Atticus is --> it seems like it may have been an attempt at a sequel to Mockingbird, not a first draft. This is an interesting idea. (I'm sorry, it's not posting as a link, not sure why?)

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/27/sweet-home-alabama

• Like 4

Can you share a link to the Mensa list? I had no idea what Candide was about. Sounds interesting!

It's just the high school list from this site http://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/

I checked off the books I read in high school (was not very many at all) and I am reading the rest of them. My girls are in the k-3 and 4-6th grade list so I told them I would finish the high school list at the same time.

• Like 5

I have posted recently about enjoying a mystery a few months ago by Judith Cutler and decided to check out the first one in another of her series called Life Sentence. It was good but not quite the average police procedural mystery. It had more depth or it might just have spoke to me and my life somewhat more clearly than most other books of that type. The main character was a 50ish female Cheif Superintendent in the Kent police force who is being forced to retire in order to care for her elderly parents. That part of the story was very depressing. Because of her impending retirement she is stepping away from her usual role in the department and takes over trying to solve a cold case of a woman who has never been identified after being beaten into a vegetative state. Her attackers have never been found.

I guess the whole book is a bit depressing when I read what I just wrote. It does have good (happier) parts. She finds romance..... The crimes are solved in an interesting way but this isn't very fluffy. I did like it enough to check the next one out. :lol: In part I want Jenn and Jane to be warned that this definitely isn't Miss Marple. Not has gritty as some but a bit grim.

Oh this reminded me that I don't think I've recommended one of my favourite mystery/romance series here. If you haven't already you should give the Clare Ferguson/Russ Van Alstyne series by Julia Spencer Flemming a try. Clare is a former army helicopter pilot turned Episcopal priest. Her first post is at a church in a small town in upstate New York where Russ is the chief of police. The first book in the series is In the Bleak Midwinter. Each book also looks at some sort of social issue. They are very well written.

• Like 3

Oh this reminded me that I don't think I've recommended one of my favourite mystery/romance series here. If you haven't already you should give the Clare Ferguson/Russ Van Alstyne series by Julia Spencer Flemming a try. Clare is a former army helicopter pilot turned Episcopal priest. Her first post is at a church in a small town in upstate New York where Russ is the chief of police. The first book in the series is In the Bleak Midwinter. Each book also looks at some sort of social issue. They are very well written.

I had In the Bleak Midwinter in the stack a few months ago but didn't have a chance to read it. I know I found it on a list so your recommendation means I will figure out where I found it and read it!

• Like 3

And here is a companion article to the abovementioned review of Watchman by Ursula Le Guin: an interview in which she practically refuses to answer any questions! It's just right.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/books/review/ursula-k-le-guin-by-the-book.html

I loved that interview - boy, the journalists must hate to interview her! It was brilliant.

• Like 3

Amazon has some great titles on sale for Kindle today. Including the translation of Don Quixote I finally managed to stumble through when I first started working on WEM.  Some good science and history titles, too.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=pe_170810_146103690_pe_button/?ie=UTF8&node=7533915011

• Like 3