Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW31: analogical august

Robin M

I'm reading the Navigatio of St Brendan. It's very nice and interesting, especially after reading Tim Severin's The Brendan Voyage where he replicates the journey trying to use an authentic medieval boat & supplies.

Just finished Go Set a Watchman. I will probably share my thoughts on the thread dedicated to it, (not to have spoilers here) but what I thought most interesting was the evolution of the writer.

After that I have Shakespeare's Sonnets and Stephen King's memoir about writing. I don't care for King's fiction, but I have seen a few nonfiction articles by him which I thought were very well written, so I am interested in what he has to say. I really enjoyed PD James' book On Detective Fiction.

• Like 7

Happy 16th Birthday to Robin's son! Love the pictures. It is amazing how much they grow. I keep telling ds that his feet are about the size he was at birth. ( He has size 13 feet)

Happy Birthday to Jenn.....hope you have a great day!

• Like 8

This afternoon I read the new adult romance The Mistake (Off-Campus Book 2) by Elle Kennedy; I enjoyed it.  (Adult content)

"HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a player in more ways than oneĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

College junior John Logan can get any girl he wants. For this hockey star, life is a parade of parties and hook-ups, but behind his killer grins and easygoing charm, he hides growing despair about the dead-end road heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be forced to walk after graduation. A sexy encounter with freshman Grace Ivers is just the distraction he needs, but when a thoughtless mistake pushes her away, Logan plans to spend his final year proving to her that heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s worth a second chance.

Now heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s going to need to up his gameĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

After a less than stellar freshman year, Grace is back at Briar University, older, wiser, and so over the arrogant hockey player she nearly handed her V-card to. SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a charity case, and sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not the quiet butterfly she was when they first hooked up. If Logan expects her to roll over and beg like all his other puck bunnies, he can think again. He wants her back? HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have to work for it. This time around, sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be the one in the driverĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s seatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and she plans on driving him wild."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I'm halfway through Soul of discipline and I have real hope the ideas presented in the book will solve some of the issues I'm having with my 10 year old daughter. I've been feeling like there has been a disconnect with us lately and I am hoping trying some of the idea's will help. In fact I'm taking notes.

I also decided to reread To Kill a Mockingbird since I want to read the book Harper Lee just released and compare them. Has anyone read the new book? Reviews seem to be mixed since apparently it was written and rejected before she rewrote it as To Kill a Mockingbird.

• Like 7

I finished Wuthering Heights. While thinking about what someone might have taken away from this story, I realized with dismay that it is very class conscious and assumes a "blood will out" attitude. Really, it isn't very revolutionary at all, except that it was written by a woman. It is a story about the bad seed, told in a sensational fashion. It surely would have put off any woman of the time who was tempted to adopt a child of unknown parentage. Blech.

• Like 9

The comments about Wuthering Heights are making me giggle.  I know that what happens in BaW stays in BaW, and vice versa, but I can't resist sharing this thread I started last year while I was reading it.  It actually turned into a pretty interesting discussion, but WH-haters are not alone!  :lol:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/512369-whats-up-with-wuthering-heights/?hl=+wuthering%20+heights

I think the book is well written and hats off to Bronte. However, I love to hate the characters. I seriously wanted to smack the lot of them. 

I see multi quote is broken again

• Like 7

Teaching My Husband to Read

Is your spouse also a reader?

Regards,

Kareni

He didn't used to be, but I think I'm a good influence on him.  ;) He's working his way through the Aubrey-maturin series right now, and has been for several years. He works 10+ hour days so he's to fried to read at night, but he does read some on the weekends.  He's always been more of a doer than a reader, and he's not the type to take a book with him when he leaves the house, but he enjoys a good story.  But we're talking maybe 12 books a year? 

I actually had this weird conversation with a bunch of local friends the other night. We were at the weekly outdoor concert, there is a group that gathers and sits together every Tuesday. Shannon had taken a book to read till friends showed up, and was sitting reading it, and one of the adults commented that she's a big reader.  Then people started commenting on the fact that they don't read - several people in the group don't read at all, and a few read at most 10 books a year. I looked around, and I'm thinking, I've read over 100 books so far this year.  And I'm the only one, clearly I'm the weird one here.  

It did help me realize why I have so little in common with most of my "friends"  - I don't watch TV, I read. I don't pay much attention to pop culture, but I read the paper every morning. I read Scientific American and The Atlantic online.  They read Facebook.

It's hard not to come off as self-righteous talking like this, and it's really not my intention.  It's just . . . I feel so lonely in a world where nobody thinks, talks, or cares about the stuff I do.  I'm not saying my stuff is better or more important (though obviously I must think so, or I wouldn't do it).  I just feel lonely IRL.  

Thank goodness for you guys!  :)

• Like 10

We are going to the library today. I find myself looking through my TBR list to see what books are at this library. Does it matter that I have like 15 books on my Kindle that need to be read? No, cause I can't stop myself from wanting to bring home an actual physical book. 

Anyone else like that? It feels so *wrong* to go to a library and walk out without a book in my hands. I'm old fashioned in that an ebook is just not a real book as in it doesn't give me that feeling of satisfaction of holding a book, flipping pages, and closing the cover when I'm done. 

Help me?

• Like 12

I bought a kindle and put a ton of free classic books on it, and I sometimes buy a Kindle daily deal.  But truly? I never read on the Kindle.  It's just not satisfying.  I do read aloud from it sometimes, some vintage classic books, and we do Getting Started With Spanish on it, but that's pretty much it.  I just have an older paperwhite, not a fancy thing, but I have to say, I can't see letting go of actual books during my lifetime.  As my groaning shelves would attest!  ;)

And, even though I have a big stack and a bunch of new things on hold, I still stop at the New Releases shelf at the library and browse - and sometimes come home with a 14 day book and have to drop everything to read it!

• Like 8

I started a new book last night that I think I'm really going to enjoy.  It's The Iron King, by Maurice Druon, a French writer in the 1950s who wrote a whole series of books about the Capetian/Valois kings and the start of the Hundred Years War.  Apparently it was an inspiration to GRR Martin's Game of Thrones series.  I found out about it from some Facebook link to "Book series you should read while you are waiting for the next GOT book."  I've always loved historical ficition about old European royalty, I don't know why. So this will be a fun and guilty pleasure - brain candy, but somewhat literary! It's translated from the French, and was written before I was born, after all . . .  ;)  :D

• Like 6

Rose, I hear you. However, I will say I have a few friends who are readers. They all are homeschooling moms so that's another thing in common we have. 

As for my husband, I am happy to report that I got him loving books. He grew up undiagnosed dyslexic and hated everything about school and reading. I was a nerd from birth. Funny story about when we were very first dating. I was at his apartment and noticed a copy of 1984 on the side table. I asked him if it was his book or his roommate, and he said his. I was so impressed and happy that I found a man who actually read books! And real literature at that! Obviously, we ended up married and it was then that I asked him about reading as I had never once seen him read a book. He admitted his hatred of reading, and confessed that 1984 was a prop to impress me! That just makes me laugh now. Sneaky sneaky boy. 

Anyway, I tried to convince him what he's missing. For years. Fast forward to my oldest child at age 5-9 and me struggling greatly trying to teach him to read. I knew something was off. I finally took him in for testing (waited way too long) and found out he is dyslexic. Started reading everything I could get my hands on. I started to realize that my dh fit what was being said in these books. Took him to a seminar with me, and he was floored. So it wasn't until he was in his 30's that he figured out he has dyslexia. 

Well, I was on a mission. I wanted to create a love of reading in my ds and my dh. Enter audio books. My dh is now addicted to audio books. He has a long commute to work each day, and he listens to a lot of books now. He gets cranky if he finishes a book and doesn't have one loaded and waiting. I even got him to listen to a Dickens. He's found his niche and is enjoying it. He may or may not branch out, but it doesn't matter. He likes books now. He is enjoying the experience of immersing into other worlds, and I made that happen. :D

• Like 11

I bought a kindle and put a ton of free classic books on it, and I sometimes buy a Kindle daily deal.  But truly? I never read on the Kindle.  It's just not satisfying.  I do read aloud from it sometimes, some vintage classic books, and we do Getting Started With Spanish on it, but that's pretty much it.  I just have an older paperwhite, not a fancy thing, but I have to say, I can't see letting go of actual books during my lifetime.  As my groaning shelves would attest!  ;)

And, even though I have a big stack and a bunch of new things on hold, I still stop at the New Releases shelf at the library and browse - and sometimes come home with a 14 day book and have to drop everything to read it!

Well, at least I'm not alone. 

My boys love reading on their Kindle. They like to change the font size and orientation. 

• Like 5

He didn't used to be, but I think I'm a good influence on him.  ;) He's working his way through the Aubrey-maturin series right now, and has been for several years. He works 10+ hour days so he's to fried to read at night, but he does read some on the weekends.  He's always been more of a doer than a reader, and he's not the type to take a book with him when he leaves the house, but he enjoys a good story.  But we're talking maybe 12 books a year? 

When we first met and married, my husband's reading was almost entirely work related.  While not a big reader, he had loved Walden as a young man. 

I learned of the Aubrey-Maturin series through the old Common Reader catalogue and thought it sounded like something my husband would like.  It also took him years to get through the series initially.  (And, in fact, the author was still alive and writing the series at that time.)  Since then he's read through the series three times; to my knowledge, this is the only fiction that he's ever re-read.  (Admittedly, he did first start reading the series when our daughter was a newborn, and we were both reeling around in a state of near constant sleep deprivation so retention may have been an issue.)

Some other works of fiction that he's enjoyed are the Inspector Bonaparte series by Arthur Upfield (though he says they are uneven), Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco mysteries set in Ancient Rome, Ramses the Damned and the Interview with the Vampire series by Anne Rice; a recent hit was Andy Weir's The Martian.

As for my husband, I am happy to report that I got him loving books. He grew up undiagnosed dyslexic and hated everything about school and reading. I was a nerd from birth. Funny story about when we were very first dating. I was at his apartment and noticed a copy of 1984 on the side table. I asked him if it was his book or his roommate, and he said his. I was so impressed and happy that I found a man who actually read books! And real literature at that! Obviously, we ended up married and it was then that I asked him about reading as I had never once seen him read a book. He admitted his hatred of reading, and confessed that 1984 was a prop to impress me! That just makes me laugh now. Sneaky sneaky boy.

Sneaky, indeed!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

From Tor.com ~

If you enjoy time travel novels (as I do) or are interested in reading some, you might enjoy this article.  Read the comments for more suggestions.

LetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Go Back in Time (then Forward, then Back Again) With 20 Time Travel Classics!

Last night I re-read an old historical romance favorite ~  Tempt Me at Twilight (Hathaways, Book 3) by Lisa Kleypas. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I've been reading more on my Kindle -- but only because for some reason (people dislike reading on e-devices?) it usually comes faster from my local library if there is any waiting list (I put the book on hold too -- just the ebook 'arrives' first).  Otherwise I strongly prefer books -- mostly I think because it is much easier to flip around.   For my personal library the biggest problem is that there is no easy way to 'browse'.    I wish Kindle had a 'spine' style listing -- lots of titles on a page with a tiny bit of art/color to distinguish between books -- to see if that fit my 'browsing' need better (I do like seeing the whole cover -- but you just can't see enough of them on the screen at once! -- and the titles alone definitely do not give the same experience IMO)

• Like 7

My allergies seem to have turned into something more unpleasant so I have retreated to my bed and dh is running the household. It is rather odd to do nothing but sleep and read fluffy romance novels.

I am the exception I think. I love reading on my kindles. So much easier to hold and I have several unread books available always. I didn't feel this way until recently but I have definitely converted and feel very quilty about it. I do enjoy looking at hardcovers. I frequently get the hardcover from the library for reference while I read the ebook.

• Like 7

I finished The Remains of the Day and gave it 5 stars. Stevens is quite possibly the best unreliable narrator I've ever met! While i liked nearly every book I read this year, I can only say I truly loved two. Far From the Madding Crowd is one, Remains is now the second.

Still listening to How the Light Gets In. Still reading Wives and Daughters, Faust, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and I recently started Call the Midwife.

• Like 8

My dh was not much of a reader when I met him, however when we discussed books I was often surprised at some of the ones he had read before I met him. The most surprising to me was The Name of the Rose because it just doesn't seem like his type of book. For much of our married life he only read technical stuff for work and programming books (for fun). He was always the one who read to ds, and the last read aloud before ds was done being read to was the Harry Potter series. Actually, ds could have read them on his own starting with the 4th book, but he knew his dad was enjoying both the stories and reading them to ds, so he let him continue. I thought that would get him back to reading fiction, but it didn't really.

What finally got him reading for pleasure again was when we bought him a Kindle. Ds and I got him one for Father's Day a few years ago (we each already had our own). Since then, I don't think he's stopped reading. He likes a lot of non-fiction, especially if it has anything to do with WWII, but he's also been reading fiction. He read the Game of Thrones series and is currently reading the Outlander books (I think he's on #3 now). 

He often asks me to help him find books though, mostly because he doesn't want to take the time. He usually asks me if I can find him something he'll like. I only bombed once, and that was with the first Cormoran Strike novel by JK Rowling. He didn't care for it. I didn't suggest the Outlander series because I dislike it very much. A guy at work actually suggested that for him. 

And since we're talking about ebooks, I love reading on my Kindle. I'll occasionally check out cookbooks or craft books from the library but I much prefer ebooks. I haven't read a printed fiction book in more than 3 years. If a book isn't available for Kindle I usually skip it and look for something else instead.

• Like 7

I'm making tomato sauce, which gives me lots of time for listening. I finished listening to March by Geraldine Brooks.  It was incredibly powerful and fascinating, although a difficult book. It's written from the POV of the March parents of Little Women, and loosely on Alcott's own father. The interweaving with LIttle Women is very skillfully done, and makes you feel like you are really seeing behind the scenes of that book. The shift in POV between Mr and Mrs March is also really well done, and both Marches are so much more interesting than their holier-than-thou characters in LIttle Women!  The book has much brutality, though, and was hard to listen to at times - the scenes that are collectively involved in March's disillusioning, at several different parts of his life, were very powerful and disturbing.

This is my 2nd Brooks audio book, I listened to The Year of Wonder awhile back, and enjoyed it very much too, except for the ending which was kind of silly.  I'd definitely read her again.

• Like 9

I'm making tomato sauce, which gives me lots of time for listening. I finished listening to March by Geraldine Brooks.  It was incredibly powerful and fascinating, although a difficult book. It's written from the POV of the March parents of Little Women, and loosely on Alcott's own father. The interweaving with LIttle Women is very skillfully done, and makes you feel like you are really seeing behind the scenes of that book. The shift in POV between Mr and Mrs March is also really well done, and both Marches are so much more interesting than their holier-than-thou characters in LIttle Women!  The book has much brutality, though, and was hard to listen to at times - the scenes that are collectively involved in March's disillusioning, at several different parts of his life, were very powerful and disturbing.

This is my 2nd Brooks audio book, I listened to The Year of Wonder awhile back, and enjoyed it very much too, except for the ending which was kind of silly.  I'd definitely read her again.

I really loved her book People of the Book.

Well, let me qualify that.... I loved a good part of People of the Book. The novel alternates chapters between present day & the past. I love the stories about the past; some of the present day story was ok but didn't stand up to the quality of the history-based chapters. Really neat info & history in the book & even w/ my qualifying remarks, I'd highly recommend it.

• Like 10

Kathy, so glad you loved The Remains of the Day. I once read a review that described it as a pitch-perfect book & I agree.

mumto2, hope you feel better quickly! It's no fun to be out of commission, even if it does result in more reading time.

I wish I could quiet my stressed out mind & concentrate on my own reading. :leaving:

• Like 9

Last week I picked up The Maze Runner by James Dashner because it was a book Aly wanted me to read this year.  I try to read at least one book that the girls pick each year.  The Scorch Trials, the 2nd in the series, comes out at the theater in September so I thought now might be as good a time as any.  If I hadnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t already seen the movie, I may not have stuck with it.  The language and vocabularyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦shudder!!  The charactersĂ¢â‚¬Â¦simplistic.  However, I did stick with it.  I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really connect with any of the characters but maybe one (Newt).  And I certainly canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t say that the writing was very good.  But through all of its faults, I still wanted to know what happens next enough to pick up the second book.  (That certainly didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t happen with Divergent, even though it was a better written story, I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t care what happened next!)  TWADDLE FOR TEENS lol!

That's book #29 for me.  I'm still two behind!

I'm already well into The Scorch Trials and will probably finish out the trilogy before reading my challenge for Book Club.  The challenge for the month of August is to read a book you were supposed to read in high school but didn't.  The only book I didn't actually read in high school was The Red Badge of Courage  :ack2:   I only skimmed it to answer the questions.  Here's hoping that some maturity may make it more palatable this time around.

• Like 7

I love my kindle PW for fiction and prefer it to actual books as I can adjust the font and lighting but for non-fiction I like a hardcopy version. Non-fiction has me referring back to things, cross-referencing etc and that's easier with a hardcopy version.

Audio books and I have an ambivalent relationship. I love them in theory but my mind tends to wander in a way it doesn't when I'm reading. We're preparing for a road trip and can't find something that will satisfy all of us. Dh and ds have similar tastes, i.e. fantasy and sf which are not my genre. I'm voting for an Amelia Peabody but I'm rather inclined to let them have their choice given my wandering-mind tendencies.

Dh and ds are both readers, the mind that disappear into a book to emerge only when they're done :D

Mumto2, :grouphug:

• Like 8

Also the 10th and last Isabel Dalhousie mystery came available the other day along with 'The Lost Sisterhood'. Add into that mix, 'A Beautiful Blue Death', and my reading plate is full to overflowing. Perfect for our upcoming trip though I'm not sure how much reading time I'll get in. Can you all read in the car? I'm hoping I can this time but previous attempts have always resulted in nausea.

• Like 8

Also the 10th and last Isabel Dalhousie mystery came available the other day along with 'The Lost Sisterhood'. Add into that mix, 'A Beautiful Blue Death', and my reading plate is full to overflowing. Perfect for our upcoming trip though I'm not sure how much reading time I'll get in. Can you all read in the car? I'm hoping I can this time but previous attempts have always resulted in nausea.

Nope! I am lucky to ride in the front seat of a car anymore without getting sick.  And even that vanishes if we get caught in a lot of stop and go traffic or lights. My dd's finished quite a few books while traveling this summer.  I was envious  ;)

• Like 6

I suffer from nausea in the car also. In order to read I need to be in front and reading on my kindle. My reader works best so I hope your paperwhite will work for you.

I am still reading Putney's Lost Lord series and being lazy. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and I start feeling better. Ds and I are on our own tonight. I know he is looking forward to a television fest that I am not sure I will be much fun at. Dh and Dd are off to retake the lost exams. Not exactly fun for anyone.

• Like 5

I can't read in the car. I can read on short train journeys but not for longer than 20 minutes. Mumto2 I love reading on the Kindle too. It is driving me bonkers having to read on my iPad right now. My dad called me today to say that he has my refurbished PW now and he'll mail it to me next week, he just needed a big enough envelope. Yay, seeing that I start my commute on Monday

• Like 5

I can't read in the car either- one of the more annoying results of pregnancy. I now get nausea and vertigo very easily - even on a swing or a carousel! So audio books are definitely good for car trips. 

I started listening to A History of God by Karen Armstrong yesterday.  It's totally, completely fascinating.  The discussion of the historical context of the development of the monotheistic religions is so interesting and enlightening. I'm going to have to listen to the whole section on Islam again, I have learned so much already.

• Like 8

I've always suffered from motion sickness (car, bus, train, plane) and am unable to read in the car.  Several years ago when I was accompanying my daughter to a school she attended, I was spending the better part of four hours a day on public buses.  That year I forced myself to be able to read on the bus.  I can now almost always read on the bus unless the route goes through a lot of curves.  This is convenient as I don't drive, so I am frequently riding the bus hither and yon.

I hope you feel better soon, mumto2.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I stumbled on an interesting nonfiction pairing: Building a Better Teacher and better. Both of them address (the former in education, the latter in medicine) huge performance disparities by individuals and institutions that theoretically have the same resources. I am now requesting everything else of Dr. Gawande's that the library system has.

I can't do audiobooks--too hard to keep track of where I am!

• Like 5

I can't read in the car either- one of the more annoying results of pregnancy. I now get nausea and vertigo very easily - even on a swing or a carousel! So audio books are definitely good for car trips. 

I started listening to A History of God by Karen Armstrong yesterday.  It's totally, completely fascinating.  The discussion of the historical context of the development of the monotheistic religions is so interesting and enlightening. I'm going to have to listen to the whole section on Islam again, I have learned so much already.

Karen Armstrong is such a clear and compelling writer, isn't she. I recently listened to a podcast with her onbeing.org that might interest you, Rose. Checking the archives I see there are actually a couple, here and here.

I see I'm in good company with my lack of reading-in-the car ability :D The audiobook vote has come down to The Sea of Trolls which ds has read a couple of times and a Peabody mystery. We shall see though I imagine those trolls are going to win out ;)

• Like 5

Karen Armstrong is such a clear and compelling writer, isn't she. I recently listened to a podcast with her onbeing.org that might interest you, Rose. Checking the archives I see there are actually a couple, here and here.

I see I'm in good company with my lack of reading-in-the car ability :D The audiobook vote has come down to The Sea of Trolls which ds has read a couple of times and a Peabody mystery. We shall see though I imagine those trolls are going to win out ;)

Forgot to say I control the temperature in the car when reading and keep constant fresh air blowing.

Sea of Trolls is a book I love. Didn't care for the sequel.

• Like 5

I can read in the car with no problem, even though I've gotten less of an iron stomach as I've gotten older (planes sometimes bother me now). 

When I am driving on long trips I need an audiobook -- otherwise the driving itself it too boring :driving:  (However if DH is with me he does 99% of the driving and he strongly prefers music or nothing)

• Like 5