Menu

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies!!

Cow babies, that is.

Daisy could have her calf any day, and I'm so nervous!! What do I do? She is due on the 18th, but it could be before or after. Dh came in last night and said that she is so fat that her sides almost touched the sides of the stanchion!

A couple of weeks ago I tried to move her tail to peek at her nether regions (things are supposed to change back there I think, as she approaches time to give birth). She turned around slowly to look at me as if to say, "Excuse me. What ARE you doing??" :lol:

We're both girls, sheesh!!!

Any advice? Should I register at Target? (Or Tractor Supply?):D

I remember from when my family had cows, that every time they got near to birthing, my Dad would check on her every so often. Then, she'd sneak out, to the farthest pasture to have her calf.....alone! Used to drive my Dad nuts because he'd have to find the thing and get her back to the barn. I'm not really any help, you just evoked fond memories of my Dad carting some huge, newborn calf to the barn and the mother cow following along behind. Good luck, though!

Hi Tracy,

My favorite thing is birthing cow babies!

Is Daisy a first calf heifer? Or has she had other calves? If she has had others it will probably go easier for her. Signs of "getting ready" include a swollen vulva and her tail head might be up a little (due to estrogen causing ligament laxity), the udder should be getting bigger, she might even be dripping colostrum (if she is "streaming" you want to collect it and freeze it for baby when it comes, so you don't lose it all). She may go off feed within 24 hrs. of delivery, be more antsy, up and down, a little colicky. Once the water breaks, you've started stage 2 of delivery and the calf should come in 2-4 hours. If you are worried and want to check the position of the calf, wash your hands and arms really well, wash her vulva well, put KY lube (get a gallon) on your hands and wrists and gently go through the vulva and see if you find a head and two feet. If you find the tail only - call the vet. If you find two back feet (lower leg joints bend opposite direction) she still might deliver just fine. If you find only 2 front legs and no head (leg joints bend same direction) - call the vet unless you feel ok about grabbing the head and bringing it around. Sometimes there will be just one leg back, if so reach in cup the hoof to avoid tearing the uterus and gently bring the leg forward so it is extended like the other.

If you decide to help her by pulling the calf, make sure you have the calf in the right position (head and two legs) and pull on the legs with the contractions, do this slowly and methodically. Sometimes it helps to have an assistant pull up on the top of the vulva to get it over the calf's head. If you get the calf out to its waist and it is "stuck", could be in hiplock, rotate calf 180 degrees and try again. If this doesn't work, call vet.

After calf is delivered clear mucus from nose, have dh hold calf up by back legs shortly to allow fluid to drain from lungs and nose. Rub calf all over with straw or towels. Always go back and check for a twin, especially if the first calf is small. Placenta should come out within 12 hours otherwise it is considered retained and you need to call vet. Giving the cow some oxytocin IM after delivery may help expel placenta. Calf should either drink colostrum from cow within 2 hours of birth or be bottle fed the colostrum. Should be up and walking that soon too. Very important to have calf nursing every hour that first 24 hrs. to get great amount of colostrum. Dip navel in dilute iodine. Watch cow for signs of low calcium or ketosis. Read up on those (milk fever, etc.)

Sorry too much info. You will probably just come out and find a calf and not have anything to do after all I've told you!!

Soph,

Thank you so much for the information! This is her second calf. I appreciate you telling me the signs to look for when birth is nearing. She is a Guernsey, and while they are know for having easy births, there is always the exception--that is what scares me. I didn't know we should clear it's nose. You are a great help!

I will make sure we have some iodine, and I have some Cal-Mag paste in case of milk fever. I'll call the vet immediately if I suspect that. Oh dear, I don't think I could reach in there though. :blink: Dh *might*. We do have a very experienced cattle farmer as a neighbor though. He told us he would help if we needed it (he could help until the vet gets here if trouble comes up). He said he has done everything but cut a cow open, so he'll be the one to call.

Thank you for your help. Are you very close to central Ky? ha ha.

I remember from when my family had cows, that every time they got near to birthing, my Dad would check on her every so often. Then, she'd sneak out, to the farthest pasture to have her calf.....alone! Used to drive my Dad nuts because he'd have to find the thing and get her back to the barn. I'm not really any help, you just evoked fond memories of my Dad carting some huge, newborn calf to the barn and the mother cow following along behind. Good luck, though!

We do have her in the farthest pasture :eek: However, she spends a lot of time just laying around in the barn (she's a 'house cow'). Maybe she'll have it in the barn. Should I put crushed ice out there for her? ha ha.

Rub calf all over with straw or towels. Always go back and check for a twin, especially if the first calf is small. Placenta should come out within 12 hours otherwise it is considered retained and you need to call vet. Giving the cow some oxytocin IM after delivery may help expel placenta.

Dude. Who needs James Herriot? :001_smile:

I shoulda gone to vet school.

Y'all are cracking me up. Thanks for the fun posts and for the tips! If it all turns out well, I will post pictures :) I went out to look at her this afternoon; she's got a big tummy!

Amy, we milked her up until the middle of July or so, then dried her off so she could have a break from lactating before she calves. I was ready for it though--I froze around 40 gallons of milk to see us through, and we still haven't run out! I just have to remember to keep up with the thawing. It takes several hours to thaw the milk.

I don't know a thing about birthin' cow babies either, but I have to say I am insanely jealous. I want a cow. I love cows. I want to see a baby cow being born. Where do you live again????

Ha--Kentucky. Y'all come!! :)

Dh and I are nervously anticipating the start up of milking again. It is a bit taxing, because dh has to do it before he goes to work (and of course again after he comes home). With winter coming, he'll have some pretty uncomfortable sessions out in the barn I am sure. I can't milk; I tried and after a while it really messed up my hands, so he and ds are the main milkers.

I want an automatic milker, but those bad boys are expensive!!! :001_huh:

Three words: UK Extension Office.

:-)

If you get into a pinch, pm me. I am close friends with the wife of the manager of the Univ. of KY bovine research farm. She herself used to manage the Purdue farm, and is a bovine obstetric expert, having pulled many, many calves. I am 100% positive she'd help you out.

Susan

My kids were saying that if they got a cow (ya, right!) they would milk at 10 am and 10 pm! Ha! :D Lazy kids!!

On the other hand... 8 am and 8 pm don't sound that bad to me. :001_huh: At least we'd all be up and home...

I know we're going to have chickens when we move, but dh wants a cow. I just don't think that I am programmed to to sit beneath any animal that is larger than I am. I have a fear of being squished, lol.

I do think that I'd love to play with a baby cow for a little while!

Three words: UK Extension Office

I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the tip. Our extension office is so helpful.

I haven't birthed a cow, but I've helped a few sheep

You've done *way* more than I have!!

I just don't think that I am programmed to to sit beneath any animal that is larger than I am. I have a fear of being squished, lol.

I am so with you. That is why I prefer to stay in the house waiting patiently for them to bring me the milk to strain. Those are big feet, and when she lifts one, it is right in your face!! :blink:

My kids were saying that if they got a cow (ya, right!) they would milk at 10 am and 10 pm! Ha! Lazy kids!!

On the other hand... 8 am and 8 pm don't sound that bad to me. At least we'd all be up and home...

Most days, dh needs to be at work by 8:15, so he has to milk pretty early. However, our plan is to go to once-a-day milking when the calf is about 8 weeks old. If that works out, it will be much easier.

During the first few weeks, we have to milk a whole lot. The calf only takes about 1 quart, a few times a day, but she will probably be giving somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 1/2 - 5 gallons a day (maybe more--we'll see). She'll ease back after a while, but at first it is a lot of milk.

Your kids are thinking well!! :lol:

I wish I was close to KY (my dream state) but I am in MN and it is about a 14 hour drive, so the calf should be long out before I ever get there!!:auto:

I so badly want a cow close to parturition in my back yard!!:D

Please announce the birth when it happens!

We should have a bet on birthday and weight, etc.

I'll say the 20th and baby boy weighs 70#:lol: