Menu

my friend shared this - for every parent . . .

gardenmom5

I get bored and I don't think I am boring.

But now that I am a stay at home mom, I have more free time.  I find it boring to drive 3 hours a day to take my kids here and there, although once I get to the location, and can talk to other moms, I enjoy it.

I find it boring to clean.  I hate it.  And yes, I play loud music and sing, etc......I still do not enjoy it.

I can only read so many books.

I can only do so many creative things.

I am an extrovert and if I am perfectly honest, most times I am by myself, I am bored.  I enjoy being with others.  

• Like 4

I think boredom is a good thing that leads to self motivation and I don't think it's a function of being boring. I think people who are never bored/always entertained may well be less interesting. My nephew is never bored playing mindless video games but the more he plays them, the less interests he develops.

My younger son was bored this morning. He's since built a forthouse for himself the living room, "furnished" it, stocked his kitchen with snacks and settled in to writing his own boxcar children fan fiction. All on his own initiative.

• Like 4

My response is usually, "Do you want me to give you something to do?" I don't phrase it as a threat, but it is more to spur them to think about what would actually be interesting. If they say yes, we brainstorm some ideas, staying with things that would be helpful to me.

Part of me is happy to hear that once in a while as proof that I am doing a good job controlling my tendency to over-schedule us.

• Like 1

Being occasionally bored is not synonymous with being a boring person.  I'm sometimes bored, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  It can be used as a motivator.  My kids have rarely complained about being bored, but if they do, I try to help them find something of interest to do - to use the bored feeling as a stepping stone.

I'm feeling rather bored right now.  My table is cluttered with high school books, and I'm staring mindlessly at a computer screen.  I usually get bored while lesson planning.  Maybe I'll pop in a British mystery, grab a glass of iced tea, and see if that helps.

Today is the first time in a very long time I have heard "I'm bored" from one of my kids.  Youngest is gone a camp this week and so older brother doesn't have him to play with.  Usually when I hear I am bored I offer them a list of things to help me with around the house, it usually motivates them to find something else.  Today, I empathized with him, and then told him to find something to do.  He is now playing a computer game.  This afternoon I am sending him out to water the flowers with his squirt gun.

• Like 1