Menu

woodpeckers ruining our house!

Halcyon

For about 4 months now, a pair of woodpeckers has been pecking away at the wood frame of our house. we thought they would go away, but they havent. DH put up reflective tape but they soon learned to avoid it. So today I put up a huge fan, hung about 20 streamers of reflective tape from the edge of the roof so they flutter. I am praying they stay away. DH said "our house looks like a ticker tape parade" LOL so I said "well, they'll get the hint and go away and then we can take it all down" and he's like 'um, I think they return year after year"  :mellow:  Ugh! What can we do? Our wood is getting pecked raw--any other suggestions? I hope this reflective tape works, but really, it looks ridiculous LOL. Are we just going to have to resign ourselves to our house looking like a birthday cake?  :crying:

I feel your pain! We actually have had to repair holes that woodpeckers have made on our house.

From what I've read is that they are looking for insects when they peck. Possibly have your home sprayed for bugs?

I now realize why there was a cartoon when I was a kid about a naughty woodpecker!

Elise in NC

• Like 3

Yikes! I think my parents a problem with that--I'll check in with them and try to find out if/how they resolved it.

We have lots of woodpeckers at our feeders and trees but not on our house. "We" just had babies--every June we get new little ones, and it's so fun to watch them get fed by the papa until they figure it out on their own. I'm hugely protective of them. :). I'm sure I'd feel differently if they were attacking my house, though.

The house behind us has starlings who live in their siding and walls. They make an enormous racket and a big mess when they pull the insulation out. I have no idea how they live with it, or why.

I would get someone to come out and check for insects in your siding. The most likely explanation for the pecking is that there is a food source in your wood. If that is the case, eliminating the woodpeckers will only get rid of the visible problem. I have read they can peck for other reasons, but since that's the most damaging possibility, I would have that checked out. A lot of exterminators don't charge for the first consultation. 

• Like 5

the house had termites before we bought it and was tented. we still have a warranty or whatever it's called so I will give them a call and have them check it out. Thank you--i hadn't thought of that. So far, the streamers are working, but I think all our neighbours must think we're having some sort of belated 4th of July party LOL.

Yep, to being checked by bugs.  If they were pecking in one spot only (which I can't tell from your posts), then they could have been trying to make a nest.  We had some try to do that by enlarging a soffit vent.  We had to put metal mesh over the vent to prevent it and for at least a month afterward we heard a metallic "tink, tink, tink" as those darn birds just did not give up.  But of course they got no where with the metal and eventually went away.  (Our woodpeckers weren't scared of plastic owls).  

• Like 1

We only had a few woodpeckers, so this may not help you, but when I heard them pecking, I took a big metal spoon and banged it on the kitchen exhaust pipe, the metal pipe that goes up from the range fan. It made a tremendous clattering that they could hear on the roof. After a few times they stopped coming back.

I have heard of carpenter bees attracting woodpeckers.

I think that is what we had at our other house. The woodpeckers attacked the whole area under the eaves. Hubby sprayed for the larva then filled the holes with a kind of wood putty that I think contained insecticide. Anyway, the peckers returned but did not do as much damage. Hope your strategy works.
  • Like 1

We only had a few woodpeckers, so this may not help you, but when I heard them pecking, I took a big metal spoon and banged it on the kitchen exhaust pipe, the metal pipe that goes up from the range fan. It made a tremendous clattering that they could hear on the roof. After a few times they stopped coming back.

This is very similar to what I did. It seems to have worked. I did it two years ago--every time one pecked, I was making a terrible racket. It didn't take long for them to stop coming.

I hope the tape works!

• Like 1

Be diligent whatever you do.  Our next door neighbor had birds that eventually pecked through to her bathroom wall.  I could see the birds flying in and out.  This went on for several years as she just ignored it.  I think the only thing she did was put an aluminum pie pan on the side of the house.  Just this year she ended up doing a total bathroom remodel and putting new siding on her entire house.  Get some professional advice if what you're doing doesn't work.

• Like 1

They only peck when there is a reason to peck - birds are constantly in survival mode (as is every other wild animal/bird/etc) - so they do not waste energy pecking unless there is food there (or, much more rarely, a potential nest site). Either indicates a problem with the wood in a home.

I have read that some woodpeckers peck as a mating thing (not always for food). I guess it depends on the type of woodpecker. I certainly would have your wood looked at to make sure you don't have some type of insect living in it that they are eating as others have mentioned. If you have carpenter bees or termites or whatever you need to evict those as well.  =)

There is some information here on "drumming" (the mating/territorial pecking, not the eating/scavenging type)  http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/woodpeckers.html