Menu

cursive for older student

MAIMOM

I used this:  http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Beginning-Cursive-Grade-Workbooks/dp/0887247458/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1435145736&sr=8-48&keywords=cursive+handwriting+workbook

for ds14 who needed extra work on his handwriting this year.  It is mostly a practice page of each letter and another page with a practice sentence emphasizing each letter.  We only did the sentence pages. 

It wasn't the most exciting curriculum in the world, but it is cheap and reproducible.  And, imo, it got the job done.

I've recommended this book before on this forum, and it's because I really love it: Teaching Cursive: This Method Works! It is just this humble little spiral-bound book, but its instruction of cursive is so, so easy and friendly. I used it this past year with my second grader, but it could be used for any age. (That is, the book doesn't have little childish cartoons in it or anything that would feel insulting to your older child; it only has text and sample cursive.) What I love so much about it is that it teaches "like" letters together (so, "e" and "l" are taught together, for instance) and that it provides review every few lessons. It could not be more straightforward or easy to follow. Highly recommend!

Note: the only thing you'll need in addition to the book is your own three-lined handwriting paper. (The book does not have any consumable pages; you do all the writing on separate paper.) Good luck!

• Like 4

New American Cursive: Teach Yourself Cursive. It's targeted at grade 5 to adult. DD did it this year because she wanted a different cursive style than HWOT, which she had already completed. She went through it really quickly and liked it well enough. It has some interesting tidbits and information sprinkled throughout to help you find your own style.

• Like 1

We like A Reason for Handwriting (http://www.christianbook.com/handwriting-cursive-student-worktext-grade-3/carol-retzer/9780936785417/pd/785411

We only use book C.  It teaches each letter, does some words, and has bible verses (though these are made as tracers and I don't like that, so if/when we do the bible verse as copywork I just have the child copy onto a different paper).  At the end of the book there are also quite a few lined pages with cute borders.  We tear them out and let the kids use them to write letters, copywork, etc on.  They love these pages!  I also like that the pages are perforated, so it's easy to remove the ones you want. 

For a child that age, I'd find samples of different cursive styles and let her pick the one she wants to learn.

If she has picked the curriculum, she may be able to handle the "cartoony, little-kid" feel to her curriculum (if it's there) and just zip past it to get get the practice she wants.

You may also be able to find a library book that shows it, no curriculum required.  The 3 weeks borrowing time should give her time to learn letter formation and you can photocopy a small handful of sample pages (check your local regulations on what you may legally photocopy out of a book) for her to refer back to later on.

• Like 1

Thank you all....this gives us a lot to consider. The recommendations are all so helpful. I love the idea of letting her pick a style that interests her. She is very creative and does a lot with henna tattoos.....I bet she would enjoy calligraphy...had not even thought about that.

I've recommended this book before on this forum, and it's because I really love it: Teaching Cursive: This Method Works! It is just this humble little spiral-bound book, but its instruction of cursive is so, so easy and friendly. I used it this past year with my second grader, but it could be used for any age. (That is, the book doesn't have little childish cartoons in it or anything that would feel insulting to your older child; it only has text and sample cursive.) What I love so much about it is that it teaches "like" letters together (so, "e" and "l" are taught together, for instance) and that it provides review every few lessons. It could not be more straightforward or easy to follow. Highly recommend!

Note: the only thing you'll need in addition to the book is your own three-lined handwriting paper. (The book does not have any consumable pages; you do all the writing on separate paper.) Good luck!

We did this last year and I thought it was great. 

• Like 1

I'm answering late but fyi, handwriting without tears has a specific curriculum for cursive made for students and adults fifth grade or older, called can-do cursive. It's mature (as in, not childish) and has LA concepts and some humor.

• Like 1

The method in this book^ was perfect for my older student who was struggling with cursive.  The teaching like letters together method allowed cursive to (finally!) make sense to him. 

• Like 2

thank you for input. My daughter really enjoyed the idea of finding a style she liked, copying it out and working from there. She has been practicing and has improved a lot in just a few days. I think letting her pick the style encouraged her to have ownership.