Menu

Need recs for sappy, sad love stories

Well, this is old, so you've probably read it, but The Notebook is the sappiest sad love story I can think of.

Actually, everything I've ever read by Nicholas Sparks would qualify as a sappy sad love story...

Which begs the question: Why do I keep reading Nicholas Sparks?? :ack2:

• Like 4

Well, this is old, so you've probably read it, but The Notebook is the sappiest sad love story I can think of.

Actually, everything I've ever read by Nicholas Sparks would qualify as a sappy sad love story...

Yes, I've read all of his novels.  The Notebook was my favorite.  They became very predictable a long time ago and I'm ready for a different author!

• Like 1

Would The Time Traveler's Wife count? It is a love story, it is sad, and I am not sure it is sappy. BUT it appeals to a very specific reader, one who also likes fantasy and doesn't mind a love story mixed in with their fantasy..that is a rare breed I am told. Most fans of one don't like the other, or at least that is what I have been told. Anyway, I quite liked it and so did DH. 

I seem to have a dearth of love stories in my reading list. Sorry!

• Like 1

Here's one ~ 

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

"They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose . . .

Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life—steady boyfriend, close family—who has barely been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex–Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life—big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel—and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossy—but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living."

Also

The Last Hour (Thompson Sisters) by Charles Sheehan-Miles

"Twenty-seven year old Carrie Thompson-Sherman has the life she always wanted: her PhD, a prestigious fellowship, and an amazing husband.

Her charmed life begins to unravel as a jealous colleague puts her fellowship in jeopardy and a hideous secret Ray carried home from Afghanistan comes to light. Hanging on by a single thread, a disastrous accident puts both her husband and her sister's lives at risk. Heartbroken, Carrie will be faced with the most devastating choice of her life.

A choice that will change everything."

Also Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy

Here's a good review.

And

Snow-Kissed by Laura Florand (contemporary romance novella)

"Voted the Biggest Tearjerker of the Year in the annual AAR reader poll (you were warned). Named one of the best books of 2013 by Dear Author and Romance Novels for Feminists. DABWAHA nominee (Dear Author Bitchery Writing Award for Hellagood Authors).

Once they had been the happiest couple in the world. Once serious, restrained Kurt had fallen hard for a laughing, easy-going woman who filled their lives with joy.

But when loss struck them, Kai went down under the avalanche of grief. She threw their marriage away, and she left him, fleeing the world for this cabin high in the mountains.

Now, as the two find themselves snowbound over Christmas, Kurt has to convince his wife that while she may have lost everything else, she never lost him. Now he has to show her the true strength of one man's love."

Some of these I haven't read in a while, so I don't recall whether or not they had content that is adult in nature.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Not a love story, but it is sappy. I just finished the book Dana's Valley and I liked it. It is definitely a Christian book though in case that isn't your thing.

Not a love story, but it is sappy. I just finished the book Dana's Valley and I liked it. It is definitely a Christian book though in case that isn't your thing.

• 6 months later...
Guest wtnbooks

Hi Queen Bee,

I am not sure why you would need a sad love story. If you are into love failure, I would rather reccommend you Romantic Funny Novels, which will teach you that love is not just about pain. It's about being happy.

Try Wallbanger by Alice Clayton or Bet me by Jennifer. A guy named Vignesh Kumar  have listed them down

Edited by wtnbooks

Me too! 😄 Although I really like The Notebook best of all his sappy, sad stories.