Menu

Books that define you? Just for fun

MSNative

Today I read this article from The Atlantic http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/comparing-hillary-clinton-and-jeb-bushs-reading-lists/372368/

In it the author notes that these are the reading lists that the candidates want voters to think they are reading regardless of whether or not they actually are. It got me thinking that it might be interesting to see what books define us and our values/perspectives, etc.

Which books speak to you? What would your book list be? Which books would help others really understand where you are coming from? Why?

• Like 1

I can't really say if these books 'define' me or not, but they are indicative of the books I read & love. If I went by the article & posted recent favorites (regardless of whether they are old or new books), a short/edited list of the best ones I've read in 2014 & 2015 are:

The Good Lord Bird by James McBride

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

Guantánamo Diary by Mahamedou Ould Slahi

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The Ways of White Folks by Langston Hughes

Mink River by Brian Doyle

Galore by Michael Crummey

A Dream in Polar Fog by Yuri Rytkheu

The Book of Embraces by Eduardo Galeano

The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Agualusa

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

• Like 1

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - not sure if I'm the Mad Hatter or Alice

The Iliad - I am but a generation of leaves, plus who doesn't love stopping for monologues in the midst of battle. 

The Odyssey - Because it might take me another 10 years to figure out where home is. 

• Like 3

I would say that the book that best defines me is "The Witch of Blackbird Pond."

This has been one of my favorite books since the first time I read it.

Sometimes I am Kit, a bit spontaneous.

Sometimes I am quiet like Mercy.

Sometimes I'm Judith, conniving to get what I want.

Sometimes I'm Hannah, taking someone under my wing, but vulnerable at the same time.

Sometimes I am like Rachel, trying not to lose myself while mothering my children.

Sometimes I am Matthew, standing up for what I believe to be right.

• Like 4

Books that define me. Let me think. This would probably be my list:

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey

Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

Blue Like Jazz - Daniel Miller

The Big Book of Home Learning (because this was the book that flipped the switch for me for homeschooling)

Traveling Mercies - Anne Lamott

Harry Potter and the Sourcerer's Stone - JK Rowling

A Separate Peace - John Knowles (because this was the first assigned literature I read that made me realize I not only did my English homework, I loved it.)

The Bible (because I would not be me if this had not been such a major part of my upbringing, although you are welcome to interpret that however you like.)

• Like 3

Lost Horizon by James Hilton. "The exhaustion of the passions is the beginning of wisdom."

Other than that, I find myself drawn to mild mysteries with strong, intelligent female main characters. I love the new series with Flavia by Alan Bradley. I also like interesting history written for the general public in narrative form.

• Like 2

A Prayer for Owen Meany and Cider House Rules changed the way I looked at my life and the world and ultimately changed my choices/actions.

Does that count?

Absolutely it counts. ;)

I am enjoying reading the responses. Plus I'm adding to my summer reading list. ;)

• Like 2

Books that forever changed me and have stayed with me:

The Bible (agree with Quill on this one)

Fahrenheit 451

The Hiding Place

Lord of the Rings trilogy

Dragonsong

A Separate Peace

Inspiration and Incarnation

Okay, I just realized that with one exception I read all of these books before I was 18, repeatedly. Hmm. I'm going to have to ponder that one for a bit.

• Like 4

You know, books I read as a child or young teen have really stayed with me. I think I read them over and over until they became part of me. Did anyone else do that? I mean,I read the Little House books so often I can tell you just about anything about them. I also reread Witch of Blackbird Pond and A Little Princess over and over and over.

I never really thought about why--perhaps because I did "find myself" in them? I know I desperately needed evidence of happy endings. I could only find them in books. Life wasn't "that bad." I'm not sure why I perceived it to be so.

• Like 5

You know, books I read as a child or young teen have really stayed with me. I think I read them over and over until they became part of me. Did anyone else do that? I mean,I read the Little House books so often I can tell you just about anything about them. I also reread Witch of Blackbird Pond and A Little Princess over and over and over.

I never really thought about why--perhaps because I did "find myself" in them? I know I desperately needed evidence of happy endings. I could only find them in books. Life wasn't "that bad." I'm not sure why I perceived it to be so.

I did that too. Anne of Green Gables is one that springs to mind. Still love Gilbert Blythe, sigh. I think some books speak to where you are or what you need at a certain time in your life. Atlas Shrugged was an important book for me. Not that I agree with it all but it was the book that got me interested in studying philosophy, Econ and politics. So while I wouldn't say the book defines me, it is important because it started me on a certain path.

On the other hand, there are several books I couldn't stand as a kid - The Hobbit and LOTR - that are now some of my favorites. Ages and stages I guess. I keep trying to like Hemingway. Hills Like White Elephants is about all the Hemingway I can take. Perhaps when I hit a new stage in life I will be able to appreciate his writing.

• Like 2

There were / are so many books.

As a child I read a lot of the usual fare by Enid Blyton, Magda Trott, Julie Campbell, later L.M. Montgomery - all the Anne Books and Avonlea stories.

The older I get the more I gravitate toward lighter entertainment and suspense. I suppose there is enough drama in real life, the news, work - I need a break while reading. Most well written books provide food for thoughts. Right now, I am buried in a Charlotte Link novel. I have read most of Anne Perry, Elizabeth Peters (if you need a laugh, this is the place to go coupled with suspense), Jane Austen, Dorothy L. Sayers, the Bronte Sisters, Little Women...

• Like 2

There were / are so many books.

As a child I read a lot of the usual fare by Enid Blyton, Magda Trott, Julie Campbell, later L.M. Montgomery - all the Anne Books and Avonlea stories.

The older I get the more I gravitate toward lighter entertainment and suspense. I suppose there is enough drama in real life, the news, work - I need a break while reading. Most well written books provide food for thoughts. Right now, I am buried in a Charlotte Link novel. I have read most of Anne Perry, Elizabeth Peters (if you need a laugh, this is the place to go coupled with suspense), Jane Austen, Dorothy L. Sayers, the Bronte Sisters, Little Women...

I agree. I find myself reading more non-fiction and lighter fiction than I read as an adolescent. In addition to those above I enjoy Dean Koontz, (although not all of his stuff is light enough for me these days), Nevada Barr, Lisa Lutz, and the occasional Baldacci.

I also find myself falling into a comfortable place with children's and young adult lit. I have read, and enjoyed, as an adult Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, Hoot, Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, and so many others that we have explored as a family.

• Like 1