Menu

Fairly independent grammar program or workbook

Tiramisu

Due to multiple serious problems that hit our family this year, our homeschooling has changed a bit. I've been used to working directly with dd9 for almost everything but I have to make some changes that will limit the tension between her and myself when it comes to school work. She's under a lot of stress due to things out of our control and hs with me is the target of her unhappiness. She is much better when she doesn't have to do school work with me. Yes, she's in therapy. She will also be doing vision therapy for extensive developmental eye issues in the coming months that should also help things in the future. We're considering all options but hsing is our plan for next year. 

What would be a good, fairly independent grammar option for a bright, active fourth grader with a short attention span who doesn't like to write more than necessary? Ideally it would be something with straight-forward instructions, relatively short, clear exercises, a systematic progression and review. Practically speaking, it could be done by her on her own, checked by me, and corrections made with dh at night.

I love CLE but the lessons are too long and of too much variety for this dd. 

I'm thinking Easy Grammar might work. Are their any other possibilities?

For spelling: I'm thinking of going with CHC spelling a grade or two ahead since she's a natural speller and it doesn't require excessive writing. Spelling Power requires too much schoolish interaction so that has to go.

• Like 1

Straight-forward instructions, relatively short, clear exercises, a systematic progression and review?

Hake Grammar meets those criteria. Let her write in the book like a workbook.

http://www.christianbook.com/writing-grade-4-student-1st-edition/9780544044203/pd/404203?event=CPOF

Hake Grammar would be great but the lessons seemed really long when I looked at it before, and I thought they mix up exercises. I'll have to check again. Thanks for the idea!

The Analytical Grammar people say don't do grammar until 6th grade. Would it be possible to line out that subject altogether, save everybody the related tension?

Sorry about all the stress.

You're right about waiting. I almost wish I could just let it go...

You might want to look at English Grammar Revolution.  The Get Smart program has short teaching videos, and then there are simply 5 sentences to label and diagram.  You can do 1 sentence a day, or you can do more. 

Hake is also very independent (my younger 3 did it this year since I was working part time), but there is a good amount of writing.  It's a solid program.

For spelling, my boys have done really well with Rod & Staff spelling independently.  All it requires from me is giving a test at the end of the lesson.

• Like 3

I bought the Spectrum Language Arts workbook from the bookstore just to be sure we didn't miss anything with MBtP next year. It's short and to the point but also comprehensive. In the 3rd grade book each lesson is 1 page front and back with 71 lessons total.

• Like 1

Hake Grammar would be great but the lessons seemed really long when I looked at it before, and I thought they mix up exercises. I'll have to check again. Thanks for the idea!

I agree, the lessons are long, as written. My son does the reading and the practice set one day, then the review set the next day. And he only does evens or odds in the review section, not all of them. He writes in the book, not on separate paper. He spends about 15 minutes a day on grammar, independently. The review is spiral, a mixture of concepts from previous lessons.

• Like 1

Due to multiple serious problems that hit our family this year, our homeschooling has changed a bit. I've been used to working directly with dd9 for almost everything but I have to make some changes that will limit the tension between her and myself when it comes to school work. She's under a lot of stress due to things out of our control and hs with me is the target of her unhappiness. She is much better when she doesn't have to do school work with me. Yes, she's in therapy. She will also be doing vision therapy for extensive developmental eye issues in the coming months that should also help things in the future. We're considering all options but hsing is our plan for next year. 

What would be a good, fairly independent grammar option for a bright, active fourth grader with a short attention span who doesn't like to write more than necessary? Ideally it would be something with straight-forward instructions, relatively short, clear exercises, a systematic progression and review. Practically speaking, it could be done by her on her own, checked by me, and corrections made with dh at night.

I love CLE but the lessons are too long and of too much variety for this dd. 

I'm thinking Easy Grammar might work. Are their any other possibilities?

For spelling: I'm thinking of going with CHC spelling a grade or two ahead since she's a natural speller and it doesn't require excessive writing. Spelling Power requires too much schoolish interaction so that has to go.

Easy Grammar was our favorite. The most important thing to remember is that you must correct each page before your dc does the next one. And I do mean that you must correct the page. More than one parent has rued the day she allowed her dc to self-check when she discovered that the dc had been moving right along getting most things incorrect even though they said they were doing just fine.

• Like 2

We wanted something more independent for next year as well and Hake looked great but the lessons looked long and involved. For this year, I wanted simpler. We ended up going with IEW FIX IT. A short lesson together on Monday and then tues-thurs is mostly independent you just check it.

• Like 2

I used Abeka with an older child and it worked very well, but I think the lessons are too long for dd9. :(

Sorry about that.  I forgot that the lessons are long.

We don't do all of the questions.  After I finish checking her work, I go to the next page/pages and circle the questions that I want her to do.  If she is doing really well with a concept, I sometimes let her skip entire review sections.  Sometimes, for instance with a section with 20 questions, I will circle 10-15 or write next to the instructions: Choose 10 (or whatever).  

This only requires 1-2 minutes of planning per day on my part, so maybe this is something that you could do!

• Like 1

Growing with Grammar is good, but even shorter lessons than that would be Daily Grammar Practice. 

It's not mentioned here often as it's not well known. I found it, and we use it. It's very short daily lessons (like 5-10 minutes depending on child), has note sheets for child to use on their own for each day, and the parent/teacher checks the answers. You use the same sentence for a week doing different things each day. One day is labeling the parts of speech, next day labeling parts of the sentence, next day identifying sentence clauses and type of sentence, next day punctuation/mechanics, finally last day diagram the sentence.

It works great for us. Once you are in the 6th level and up they use sentences from literature.  

• Like 1

Growing with Grammar is good, but even shorter lessons than that would be Daily Grammar Practice. 

It's not mentioned here often as it's not well known. I found it, and we use it. It's very short daily lessons (like 5-10 minutes depending on child), has note sheets for child to use on their own for each day, and the parent/teacher checks the answers. You use the same sentence for a week doing different things each day. One day is labeling the parts of speech, next day labeling parts of the sentence, next day identifying sentence clauses and type of sentence, next day punctuation/mechanics, finally last day diagram the sentence.

It works great for us. Once you are in the 6th level and up they use sentences from literature.  

I absolutely loved Daily Grammar Practice when I ran across it not too long ago. Dd balked at it for some reason when I showed her the samples. I may have to look at it again.

Do you think the teacher's guide is necessary?

• Like 1

I liked the Zaner-Bloser G.U.M. series (Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics).  I'll see if they still have them anymore...

Okay, here's the site:

http://shop.zaner-bloser.com/

The bottom right shows the GUM series, although I can't seem to find samples.

Oh, here are some samples of one of their student editions.

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/media/zb/zaner-bloser/LA1174/media/SE/G5/page.html

If your grasp of grammar is good, I don't think you'll need the Teacher Edition.

This looks like my grammar holy grail. Goose bumps.  :001_tt1:  Thank you for sharing!!

• Like 1

Growing with Grammar is good, but even shorter lessons than that would be Daily Grammar Practice

Link, please?

Link, please?

https://www.dgppublishing.com/grammar.php

I talked to someone on the phone about placement and am super excited to order. They gave me a really good deal too. Don't want to say what just in case it was just 'cause they liked me so much and my order would be for 4 TMs plus workbooks. Ha! Ask if there are any discounts/promotions/coupon codes though. :)

ETA. basically they recommended to start your child at the grade they are unless there are special needs. everything gets repeated every year. after reading the reviews on the site, it sounded like the first few weeks can be tough, but the kids catch on quick. we had that experience with GWG. the first few chapters were tough (no prior grammar curriculum and we started level 4 in fourth grade), but once it clicked, the majority of the book was smoothly and there were no more tears. ;)

• Like 1

We wanted something more independent for next year as well and Hake looked great but the lessons looked long and involved. For this year, I wanted simpler. We ended up going with IEW FIX IT. A short lesson together on Monday and then tues-thurs is mostly independent you just check it.

I totally agree!  Dd does this by herself and we check it together.  She has learned a lot, and it only takes 15 minutes a day.