Menu

French Toast

For really good french toast, you can't just use any kind of bread. The best is thickly sliced, homemade french bread - white, of course. I whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla & a little nutmeg. Dip the bread, but don't let it get too soggy. Fry until golden, careful not to squish it. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to make it look pretty and serve with your favorite syrup.

This is the best french toast I've ever had!

Overnight French Toast

1 loaf of cinnamon swirl bread

3 cups of milk or half & half (be decadent...use half & half!)

2 tsp of vanilla

6 eggs

Beat eggs; add milk and vanilla and whisk until foamy. Let sit while you cut the bread into cubes.

Spread cubes in the bottom of a greased (or sprayed with Pam) 9x13 pan. Pour the egg mixture over top. Gently toss with your hands until the bread is all moist. Cover with plastic and refigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.

In the morning, uncover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve with cinnamon sugar, butter, and/or syrup.

Yumm!

My thoughts: I, too, love to use challah for this. I make challah each Thanksgiving, so we always have french toast around then. But storebought challah isn't as good. So I use my homemade white bread, and I add a very ripe banana, mashed, to the milk mixture. We also use a mix of coconut and vanilla rice milk instead of dairy, and I think it makes it taste richer. I also use vanilla sugar in addition to the vanilla.

HTH

and thanks for the offer to talk- I am feeling better, but may give you a holler anyhow.

I'm a wheaty gal, and like Orowheat's 100% WW bread dipped in egg with a little milk and a sprinkle of *true* Ceylon cinnamon, not the cassia the USian market carries (I get my Ceylon cinnamon from Penzey's). A slow pan-fry with butter turning only once, with hot maple syrup.

Is it "the best"? For me and my needs, yes. The heavier WW or WW and grain mixes are too dense.

Start with Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl bread. In a bowl, beat several eggs (I would use 1/person served), and add just enough milk to, say, raise the level of liquid in the bowl by half to three quarters of an inch. Add just a dash of nutmeg and around several teaspoons of cinnamon (can you tell we like ours very cinnamony?:D) Stir it all up. Fire up your burner to heat up your pan (I use just a little Pam or a smidge of oil to make sure things don't stick). Dunk one slice of bread at a time in the liquid mixture, then fry till golden on each side and the middle isn't too squishy. Serve with warm maple syrup.

My kids would eat as much of this as I will make.:lol:

Oooh - do I have a recipe for YOU!! We used chocolate chip panettone in ours - got it at Target last Christmas. YUM!! Otherwise, I think my mom just dipped bread in egg & milk and fried it. We just put syrup on it or maybe sometimes powdered sugar.

Crème Brulée French Toast

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons corn syrup (can leave out)

8 to 9 inch round loaf country style bread

5 large eggs

1 1/2 cups half-and-half

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (can substitute orange juice)

1/4 teaspoon salt

In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Cut six 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

In a bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt unti combined wwell and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and u to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 350 F and bring bread to room temp.

Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 min.

Makes 6 servings.

Start with Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl bread. In a bowl, beat several eggs (I would use 1/person served), and add just enough milk to, say, raise the level of liquid in the bowl by half to three quarters of an inch. Add just a dash of nutmeg and around several teaspoons of cinnamon (can you tell we like ours very cinnamony?:D) Stir it all up. Fire up your burner to heat up your pan (I use just a little Pam or a smidge of oil to make sure things don't stick). Dunk one slice of bread at a time in the liquid mixture, then fry till golden on each side and the middle isn't too squishy. Serve with warm maple syrup.

My kids would eat as much of this as I will make.:lol:

:iagree: This is pretty much how I do it too. That Pepperidge Farm bread makes great French toast.

We just make it from our leftover homemade ww bread that is starting to get a little old. I can't do french toast with white bread (of any sort) because, with the syrup, its just too carb heavy for me. I beat some eggs, add milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I put the bread in the mixture and let it soak for a minute or two. We like our toast very eggy. "fry" it over med-high heat for a while until the insides cook. My kids love it.

Another variation for the holidays - use eggnog instead of milk. Very festive.

One of my kids will not eat meat or eggs, and he doesn't get enough protein.

He does like French toast. I make it with one egg per piece of dense bread and a little bit of milk. I put the bread in the mixture and poke tons of holes in with a fork, turn it over and poke it again. That way the bread soaks up the entire egg.

This is not a gourmet recipe, but I am posting this here in case someone else has a kid who is protein-averse.

RC