Menu

Math for an 8-year old new to math?

My daughter turns 8 in late August, and she is eager to start formal math lessons for the first time. She has asked for workbooks, but she also has no prior math experience, with or without workbooks, so I'm not sure how much stock to place on that criteria. All we've done up to now has been mental math, like when we bake or shop or do things around the house like getting ready for vacation: "Okay, I need you to figure out how many vitamins we should pack for our trip when we use 5 vitamins a day and we'll be gone for 5 days." That sort of thing.

I just had her take the placement test for Singapore 1A. I was pretty impressed with how she did, however, she also:

- counted on her fingers

- bombed the word problems (although, to her credit, I found a couple of them confusing, too, and I'm not sure this was a conceptual problem as much as it was that she did the actual math incorrectly. Answers were off by 1 in several instances.)

- could not understand the concept of 14=___ tens and ___ones, even when I explained it. (Maybe she needs manipulatives for this?)

I've been leaning toward things that seem to me to be gentle, yet straightforward, no frills math, but with her lack of experience doing math and my lack of experience teaching math, what would you recommend? (If it matters, I feel fairly confident in my own math skills.)

Help? 

I've heard doing the RS games alone will do wonders for mental math, and that can be added to any program.

Strayer Upton and Saxon 5/4 are both beginning programs for children that age. There is Saxon K-3, but that was written later. You don't need them.

• Like 3

I'd get a pdf of math mammoth books for grade 1 and print off just the lessons on word problems and number sense and whatever else she needs if you want her to catch up with a traditional sequence. I'd start with 50-100 pages. Buy some sparkly card stock, print and glue on a title that she likes and take it to a print shop to have it spiral bound. It'll be a workbook, but individualized especially for her.

• Like 2

Math Mammoth + AL Abacus from RightStart

Agree! But instead of starting with the grade-level curriculum from MM, I'd suggest doing the topical texts from the Blue Series. As an older student, she'll likely be able to move forward at a faster pace than the first- and second-grade Light Blue full curricula. My recommendation would be to do the addition and subtraction worktexts through 2B, then move into the full third grade curriculum. 

Edited to add that if you'd like some help figuring out how to use the abacus with MM, I have a few videos on my site that explain. 

• Like 1

Can someone link that article Ellie linked a while back about starting math later. I have no idea what it was called.

OP, the article was about schools in NY(?) that did what you want to do with great results. It seems that a more mature brain can handle more mature concepts and learn faster. I know, no duh, but the article was interesting.

• Like 1

I really love RightStart for those concepts, and all early math. The things you mentioned just scream RS to me!  She'll get a great foundation. You could easily switch to Singapore after C level. Singapore is a great program, and a solid choice. I just don't think it's the absolute best for beginners. If you select it, I would add the RightStart Abacus and C-rods.

Singapore FAN math books are a really nice way to learn the Singapore way of solving word problems. Singapore can't be beat with word problems, so I would consider adding FAN math books to whatever program you use. Maybe even Singapore itself! 

Math Mammoth is a solid program too. I own it. My kids wilt with just the look. If you do it, I would add the abacus and c-rods. Teach the concepts yourself using manipulatives and a white board. Then consider working select problems on a white board perhaps. It feels like it would be a huge jolt to go from nothing to Math Mammoth.

I like these suggestions!

Kate, is only addition and subtraction introduced until 3rd? Or are you saying she's old enough to catch on to the rest while she is in the midst of doing 3rd?

The latter--she'll catch on to the other stuff. Place-value, addition, and subtraction are the meat and potatoes of first and second grade. MM first grade, for example, also covers a little basic clock work, measuring lines to inches and understanding basic shapes, but those are all easy to pick up once you have a thorough mastery of addition and subtraction. 

• Like 1

Okay, as I was reading through those articles (thanks for the links, Ellie!), I kept thinking they sounded familiar. Then I remembered, Peter Gray has written on this topic, even expanding on Benezet's ideas, on at least two occasions. I remember reading these pieces and being influenced by the ideas, yet not ready to abandon elementary math instruction entirely, especially when my daughter has specifically asked to work on it. 

Gray makes a convincing case, though, with some of his anecdotal evidence:

"Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Leslie wrote this about her son who was entirely unschooled until he went to college: "The first real formal math he did was when he studied for the ACT test. When he was younger, we had math workbooks and even a couple textbooks around the house, but they barely got looked at. ...The Ă¢â‚¬Ëœdirty little secret' about math is that it just doesn't take as long to learn it as we're culturally indoctrinated to believe it takes. My son learned enough math in just a few weeks to get a 33 on the ACT test just by studying some ACT test prep books." [Note: In the United States, the ACT is most commonly used in the middle states and the SAT is most commonly used on and near the two coasts.]

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ To find out more about how kids with no formal math training deal with college admissions math, I interviewed Mikel Matisoo, the Sudbury Valley staff member who is most often sought out by students who want help in preparing for the math SAT. He told me that the kids who come to him are usually those who have relatively little genuine interest in math; they just want to do well enough on the SAT to get into the college of their choice. He said, "The way the SAT is structured it is relatively easy to prepare directly for it; there are certain tricks for doing well." Typically, Mikel meets with the students for about 1 to 1 Ă‚Â½ hours per week for about six to ten weeks and the students may do another 1 to 1 Ă‚Â½ hours per week on their own. That amounts to a range of about 12 to 30 hours, total, of math work for kids who may never before have done any formal math. The typical result, according to Mikel, is a math SAT score that is good enough for admission to at least a moderately competitive college. Mikel explained that the kids who are really into math, and who get the top SAT scores, generally don't seek him out because they can prepare on their own."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201003/when-less-is-more-the-case-teaching-less-math-in-school

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201004/kids-learn-math-easily-when-they-control-their-own-learning

The bottom line is: I still have no idea what approach we should take. 

I'm scared to make TOO much of math at this age (along with spending $$$, but I will, if it seems like the right fit), and I'm scared of not making a big ENOUGH deal of it. 

:willy_nilly:

I'm scared to make TOO much of math at this age (along with spending $$$, but I will, if it seems like the right fit), and I'm scared of not making a big ENOUGH deal of it.

Oh sweetie. This is so not worth stressing about. You can start whenever you want. You're choosing between awesome programs so you can't go wrong. Figure out which ONE program best suits you, get it, play with it, decide what you think, *then* look at supplements, which are typically unnecessary anyway. You don't have to make a bunch of decisions now. Read reviews online and look at free samples to get a feel for the programs. And have a cookie.
  • Like 1

I'll give you an opinion.

There are some things that are learned easier later. I'm, at heart and in practice, a better late than early person for many things. I delayed most formal stuff to 7, and reading later than that. It all worked out.

I've read those links, though. I do think understanding life things is often missed in the rush to formal math early. But you're not early now, there are ways to continue to teach math to understanding, and she has life exposure.

The quotes you have...I want a child who really understands math. Not one who can cram to pass a standardized test in 30 hours or whatever. Think about your long term goals. It's not an ACT or SAT score I don't think.

Understanding foundational things, like place value, is important for all things going forward. Math layers on itself.

It doesn't have to be dull and uninspiring. If it's drudgery, stop and reassess.

• Like 5

Oh sweetie. This is so not worth stressing about. You can start whenever you want. You're choosing between awesome programs so you can't go wrong. Figure out which ONE program best suits you, get it, play with it, decide what you think, *then* look at supplements, which are typically unnecessary anyway. You don't have to make a bunch of decisions now. Read reviews online and look at free samples to get a feel for the programs. And have a cookie.

Cookies are always good. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

I'll give you an opinion.

There are some things that are learned easier later. I'm, at heart and in practice, a better late than early person for many things. I delayed most formal stuff to 7, and reading later than that. It all worked out.

I've read those links, though. I do think understanding life things is often missed in the rush to formal math early. But you're not early now, there are ways to continue to teach math to understanding, and she has life exposure.

The quotes you have...I want a child who really understands math. Not one who can cram to pass a standardized test in 30 hours or whatever. Think about your long term goals. It's not an ACT or SAT score I don't think.

Understanding foundational things, like place value, is important for all things going forward. Math layers on itself.

It doesn't have to be dull and uninspiring. If it's drudgery, stop and reassess.

Excellent points. No, I couldn't care less about standardized test scores. I just want to keep our studies enjoyable and productive. I would be heatbroken to crush her eagerness to "do math."

• Like 1

Excellent points. No, I couldn't care less about standardized test scores. I just want to keep our studies enjoyable and productive. I would be heatbroken to crush her eagerness to "do math."

I get it! You'll read her cues. You won't push when you should pause!

You know, maybe consider a program like Miquon (c-rods, see free education unboxed videos online), maybe just c-rods and education unboxed videos along with kitchen table math, or RightStart (game and manipulative based) or MEP (free, good program!)?  I would avoid Math Mammoth as your primary curriculum, and probably Singapore too honestly.

• Like 1

Please look at Shiller Math. It is customized to your child and where she is. You can even take the placement tests without purchasing the program and see what they recommend she learns!

I got Shiller at the beginning of April for my 6 year old who was often crying with Singapore math. I wanted something easy for me to do with him (baby can be demanding) yet hands on for his kinetic learning style. I also knew that constant drilling wasn't for him. Shiller is completely scripted and comes with nearly everything you need for 3 years worth of math. It fits my bill perfectly. It may sound expensive but for what you are getting, it is really a great value.

• Like 1

I'd plan the first year without worrying, yet, about what comes next. So I'd drop any ideas of "enough" for the FIRST year.

You can start a free curriculum that is almost identical to Strayer-Upton. In fact chapter one is more developed and written specifically for the 8 year old new to math.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/534083-free-strayer-upton-like-math-curriculum-complete-3-book-series-with-answers/

It gets hard to stick with scanned math books, as the fractions, exponents, and answer keys are hard to read. But Book 1 chapter 1 is absolutely fine.

• Like 1

Ok, that isn't how I'd put it. MUS is mastery, so the same basic topic for a level. It uses rods and base 10 blocks, I believe as the main manipulative. RightStart teaches the ideas with scripted lessons. Various topics are covered, but usually in a way to reinforce learning. By example, my 4 you learned how to identify quantities of objects, how to make the numbers 6 through 10 using 5. Ie, 6 us 5 and one. 7 is 5 and 2 All up to 10. Then there was lessons with money focusing on pennies, nickles, and a dime. So, a nickel and 2 pennies is 7 cents. See? An apparent jump in topic but really it is a real implementation of the ideas just learned to reinforce the ideas. The main manipulative is the abacus, but others are used for other concepts. Oh, and the card games! My kids argue on who gets to do math with me each day.... They wish, at times, that I had time to do another lesson. YES, I actually have to tell my kids that I can't do an extra lesson with them. Btw, my 2 oldest didn't really like math before we switched to RS.

• Like 1

I have never used RS so I can't really compare it but...I am using MUS with two of mine that don't intuitively get math.  The whole reason I use it with them is because it is very nuts and bolts.  You get what you need with MUS, nothing extra.  

I personally think math should be more exploration and rabbit trails. Think Beast Academy.  Math U See is, imo, the antithesis of Beast Academy.  But MUS has its purpose and for some kids, it really is best.  Some kids need to start with something like MUS to lay down that basic foundation...and then use something else further on to explore math more deeply.  You can't really follow those rabbit trails, and enjoy math exploration, if you don't have the basics, down, kwim?

• Like 2

Yes, Sweetpea, I agree about the exploration. But I'm sure I sound like I'm contradicting myself because I also said I wanted no frills. Gah!

I've read so many glowing reviews about BA, I've thought a lot about using something briefly for a year or two and then switching over. If we did that, I wonder what would be a good lead-in?

But then I suppose I'm complicating things -- as my husband keeps saying, "Just worry about this year!" :)

Yes, Sweetpea, I agree about the exploration. But I'm sure I sound like I'm contradicting myself because I also said I wanted no frills. Gah!

I've read so many glowing reviews about BA, I've thought a lot about using something briefly for a year or two and then switching over. If we did that, I wonder what would be a good lead-in?

But then I suppose I'm complicating things -- as my husband keeps saying, "Just worry about this year!" :)

It's REALLY hard not to be swayed by what others think and are doing.

Teach with YOUR strengths and YOUR style. How did YOU learn math?

Math can take over a curriculum. It's a CHOICE to let it do that, even though it's what just about every school and homeschool does. Decide how much time and money you want to spend on math, and don't go over budget. Period. 

Unless you followed someone else into using Waldorf, you seem to have chosen what works for YOU. Don't let math pull you off YOUR path, if it's really your path.

Is the REST of your life no frills? If so, then no frills math is best for YOU. Your curriculum CAN match your life if you choose to let it. Depending on how atypical your life is, it requires more and more braveryĂ¢â‚¬â€œor stupidityĂ¢â‚¬â€œto match your educational style with the rest of your life.

It took me up till this year to realize I have the right to educate in the same style that I live. Yes, I get extra room to do that, since most of my students are adults and have choices. But my lifestyle is EXTRA atypical, so, it kinda balances out how shocking my choices sometimes are.

Do we have the right to drag students along on our personal journey, or do we owe them a certain level of assimilation to the masses no matter how insane the current path of the masses?

• Like 1

A couple years ago I gave away all my math manipulatives. I use REAL things now: beans, pennies, candy, playing cards. We journal and do copywork. I made a stand that I was clearing MY home of all that cheap plastic junk. Was that negligent and limiting? I don't know. I decided I don't care. I work with what I have left with all my might, and settle for what I can accomplish with that. I study authors and websites that use REAL things.

Ella Frances Lynch

https://books.google.com/books?id=uX5ATXh2mEgC&pg=PR6&dq=ella+frances+lynch&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9tldVe37Ntf-yQT-k4C4Cg&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ella%20frances%20lynch&f=false

I like the free African Waldorf Math

http://www.entwicklungshilfe3.de/spenderinnen/download/

Teaching Math with Playing Cards

http://www.crewtonramoneshouseofmath.com/math-with-playing-cards.html

I enjoy growing as a teacher. But I'm not willing to live amongst the clutter of artificial manipulatives. That's a lifestyle choice I have made.

Some families buy a homestead and raise their children there. There are pros and cons to that choice. Some families buy an apartment in a major city. There are pros and cons to that choice. Children and students are going to be affected by the lifestyle choices of parents and instructors. Before you make individual subject choices, I think it helps to deal with a the bigger issues of what type of journey the kids/students are getting dragged on in GENERAL and if the instructor is comfortable with that GENERAL choice.

• Like 1

I don't think allowing for exploration is the same thing as no frills. It sounds like you don't want a bunch of stuff added to your math program. You want something basic. Exploration is something the child instigates. It's unplanned. A no frills curriculum would allow you that freedom. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just trying to help articulate your needs. ;)

• Like 1

Lots of things are perfectly fine lead-ins to Beast. As long as your daughter is learning to think and reason as she does math, and as long as she masters place-value, addition, and subtraction (facts, mental math, and written multi-digit computation), she'll be in great shape to start Beast. 

There truly are many good math programs out there. We all have our favorites, but ultimately you're the one who has to actually teach it. As Hunter said, teach to your strengths. For me, the best way to decide on curriculum is usually to imagine if I were starting tomorrow: Would I actually want to teach this program? Would I be excited about it and know what to do? Would I enjoy sitting down with my child and doing it?  It can be hard to know for sure at the beginning of homeschooling, but listen to your gut. And don't be afraid to mess up. In many ways, homeschooling is an ongoing experiment, and sometimes we're going to fail. And that's okay. If we never tried anything new, we'd miss out on a lot of opportunities to grow. :) 

• Like 4

Thanks for holding my hand, everyone. Clearly, I have lots to think about. I do believe my oldest will probably thrive with any program we use, so approaching the issue while thinking about my own strengths is great advice. 

I thought this morning about my middle daughter, who is very much a tactile learner, and thinking about her eventual needs makes me lean more toward RightStart. But I have a big order I need to place at Rainbow Resource anyway, and I think that, with the cost being so low, I'm going to toss Strayer-Upton into my cart so my oldest and I can have a go at it this summer. 

I've come across the idea of trust (trusting that our kids will be okay, IT WILL ALL BE OKAY) twice already through my reading this morning, and I think that's the universe speaking to me. 

• Like 3

If you want exploratory and no-frills I think Miquon would be a good fit. And very inexpensive. For my ds it has created a curiosity and puzzle-focused way of thinking about math that I think will lead nicely into BA next year.

Math should be about solving for the unknown and finding out there are many ways to do that. It should be about seeing patterns and connecting things together in new ways and seeing what happens. Math is about discovery. Most math programs take all of the beauty, wonder and fun out of math. They tell you what to do, removing the mystery and often the solid comprehension of the topic too. They allow for one answer, solved one way. Miquon lets the child explore and discover and make the conceptual connections themselves.

• Like 1

I read your comment above about why nobody has mentioned Singapore...lol

I love Singapore Math.  I use it with my eldest DS and plan on following up MUS with my middle son and youngest son.  But Singapore is challenging.  It has some concepts in the earliest grades that many kids struggle with when they are younger.  The concepts of composing and decomposing numbers threw my middle son completely on his tail.  They begin laying the ground work for multiplication and division in 1st grade!  

I LOVED that for eldest DS.  

As for Beast Academy...hands down, Beast is my favorite math curriculum.  I wish wish wish they had something that used this same approach but was geared towards kids like my daughter...for whom math is a constant struggle.  Just understanding what numbers ARE is a struggle for her.  It would be more enjoyable for her, if she had a math curriculum that focused on the basics AND used beastie monsters and a comic book format. 

I also wanted to mention the above unschooling math until college idea.  Not everybody is going to agree with this approach because...frankly, it doesn't always work as delightfully as the provided examples.  Some kids CAN and WILL learn math just as they go along in life.  I've got one of those (and possibly a second...jury's still out on the littlest guy).

Some kids will not and positively need direct instruction.  I've got TWO of those.  

You have to teach YOUR child, according to what's important for him/her based on his/her abilities.  And each of your children will be different and may need different things.  In a perfect world, we could all afford multiple math curricula for our several children.  But in the real world...that isn't always possible.  Still...be prepared to have more than one curriculum on hand if you find that one program works for your eldest child, but not for your middle or younger.  

I've found the math from Christian Light Publications (aka CLE) to be very straightforward, nuts and bolts, with practical applications for everyday life (for example, word problems that refer to measuring ingredients for a recipe). 

My recommendation is to take the placement test on CLE's website, see where your daughter fits, and order a couple of LightUnits at that level. They're very low-cost (between $3-4 each), so dipping your toe into these waters wouldn't cost you much. If she's able to complete the LightUnit test before completing all lessonsin a given LightUnit, move her to the next workbook. 

This was the recommendation I received from a user on another forum when I was looking for the appropriate level for my daughter. I admit I was a little reluctant to take the placement test because I thought it was "busy work", but I'm glad I did as I now see that the results placed her at just the right level. 

Good luck to you finding the right fit, whatever path you choose. How fortunate that we now have so many great options to choose from! (So much curriculum, so little time... : )

• Like 1

One more thought. I had trouble getting DD to move past counting on her fingers as well and found Reflex Math to be a godsend. It's fun, and improvement in rapid computation happens very quickly. There's a version available for addition/subtraction as well as one for multiplication/division. Don't know what your budget constraints are, but it was about $30 when I used it last year. 

• Like 1

I have never used RS so I can't really compare it but...I am using MUS with two of mine that don't intuitively get math.  The whole reason I use it with them is because it is very nuts and bolts.  You get what you need with MUS, nothing extra.  

I personally think math should be more exploration and rabbit trails. Think Beast Academy.  Math U See is, imo, the antithesis of Beast Academy.  But MUS has its purpose and for some kids, it really is best.  Some kids need to start with something like MUS to lay down that basic foundation...and then use something else further on to explore math more deeply.  You can't really follow those rabbit trails, and enjoy math exploration, if you don't have the basics, down, kwim?

I would recommend MUS, and add BA later for exploration once she feels comfortable with the basics.  It's what we do.  Mine lacks confidence and would melt down faced with a BA page if we hadn't really gotten the basic concept of what she's working with.  I love MUS for us (and think it would be a good fit for an older kid just starting formal math) because there aren't a ton of problems per page and it's very easy to skip pages if the child masters the concept before you're done with that lesson.  It's really easy to understand the lessons as Mr. Demme teaches them, and I think he gives a fantastic base, especially on place value.  I also love BA because we've had absolutely no struggles with MUS, and I also want my child to learn to wrestle with tough problems.  For us, they're a great match.

• Like 1

I also just noticed your comments about no one recommending Singapore.  We used it from K level and have really loved it. I would recommend getting the HIG, though, and the manipulatives that go along with the lower levels, if you decide to go that route (although it sounds like you may not).   The manipulatives are extremely helpful and the HIG has great guidelines in it about how to use them.

Right Start is also an excellent choice -- I don't think you could go wrong with it.  

• Like 1