Menu

Sports worship and domestic violence

MistyMountain

I been seeing a lot on social media about the boxing fight last night that the world was following. I was ignoring it but someone posted about the one boxers was charged with domestic violence more then once and it was bad enough to send one of the women to the hospital. He did this in front of his kids. Why are people following this allowing this guy to make so much money? Why do sports organizations allow players to play after those charges? I mean it is so awesome a violent guy who hurts women homed his skill at punching people with boxing gloves. I must be on another planet. I often feel like I am.

• Like 3

I don't get it either.  I mean where there is smoke, there is usually fire and he's been charged 6-7 times and pled down and served at most, a couple of months.  

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/opinions/reyes-mayweather-fight/

Mayweather's career is carefully designed to preserve his undefeated record and make a lot of money.  He has a really huge ego, even for a boxer.  

I am starting to believe the link isn't sports culture, but traumatic head injury. 

that said, no idea. I don't pay to watch people punch each other out.

That would be associated with sports culture  in which we values the function of sports over health.

TBI does correlate with personality change, anger, and impulse control issues. I'd call your theory viable but not a complete explaination.

• Like 2

I think there are probably a few different things going on.

As far as that particular person goes, he is, if you listen to him talk, a narcissist and i think also rather dim.  I think  that people that do well in a lot of sports (and other things as well) can have a capacity for aggression.  I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, but it is a problem when it can't be turned off or controlled to some sort of socially acceptable level.  That is clearly not something that this guy can do.

I would be hesitant to say boxing itself is the problem - lots of boxers are quite capable of that control.  In fact in a way I think it can be worse in hockey, because there its place in the rules of the game is pretty fuzzy.  If you step outside of the rules in boxing, you have a problem.

As far as the question of why he is allowed to carry on: as far as fans go, I suppose a lot of people just don't see much need to make a distinction outside of what the law does - their view is that they are not approving of his personal life.  I don't really agree, however I can see why someone might say - if he is so bad why isn't he in jail and how am I in a better position to make a judgement?  In a way this is the fundamental question to me   - why can't more be done legally?  (Sometimes there are good reasons or complications to this, especially if the victims are not cooperative and that seems to me that it can be especially common with famous/rich people.)

In other cases they might be more sport fans than interested in him in particular.  I think that sometimes people actually watch because they enjoy hating him.

From the point of view of the boxing world, I suspect it is mostly about money.  I think that there is almost no crime a person can do that if they can still rake in dollars, they will be used and protected by people who care about that - the only exceptions might possible be ones with other kinds of taboos strongly associated with them and even then I am not sure. 

I think it might not be a bad thing to have some arrangement where a boxer who was convicted of assault was banned either permanently or for a time - it would have to be a more detailed rule than that, but essentially some effort to make sure that they weed out the people who don't have the personal control to be safe.

Remember OJ Simpson?  He beat his wife to a pulp and nobody really cared until he murdered her.  He was a well-liked TV personality and sports star, how could he be an abuser?  

Domestic violence, in general, was viewed as a private affair in this country.  Remember on the Honeymooners when Ralph used to imply that he'd sock his wife?  Same thing happened on "I Love Lucy." ("Why I oughta...")  It wasn't horrific, it was normal and even comedic. 

The turning point was really Nicole Brown's murder.  The televising of the polaroids of her face in the previous abuse.  We think we're all evolved and super fab, but VAWA was passed in 1994.  1994!  That's not that long ago.    (Nicole Brown Simpson was murdered in 1994.)  

Yes, sports stars seem to index higher for domestic violence.  Football players, hockey players, boxers (remember Mike Tyson and Robin Givens?), NASCAR drivers, etc.  TIBI could play a part....steroids could play a part....but also plenty of men who don't play professional sports beat their wives and girlfriends.  Police officers and military also index very highly.  

I think the bigger issue is how we value women and how we value men.  77 cents, people.  (Yes this matters because financial insecurity is one reason why women stay.)  Single Moms are still "blamed" for being single Moms.  Very little accountability is put on the Dads.  In many marriages, women are still expected to do most of the housework, childcare, and work as well.  We hold 20% of the seats in Congress which ranks us in the 70s worldwide by Country for women in government.  We are not valued.  We are easily disposable.  Women are raped everyday yet only 3% of rapists spend a day in jail.  

• Like 7

Umsami, I don't want to "like" your comment, but it is not wrong. To add to your comment, people, even women, want to believe that the woman involved in any domestic dispute is "crazy" and drove the man to it. I have seen this too many times to ever count it. Well, duh, getting treated like garbage does make you crazy.

• Like 2

Umsami, you are spot on. Women are treated at things in our society, or at best as lesser creatures. Even men I consider to be "good" men do it. My husband recently got all bent out of shape because he heard some information security people complaining about "feminist agenda" type women causing trouble at Defcon. They were handing out "penalty cards" to men calling them out on being sexist, and my hsuband went on and on about how this conference goes out of it's way to encourage women to attend, blah blah blah. I stopped him and said, "were the men they gave the cards to BEING sexist?" he didn't know, and until I asked hadn't realized that that was kind of the most important question. Saying the conference is "less sexist" doesn't mean it gets a pass. And, it turns out when I looked it up that the penalty cards were a reaction to staff circulating bingo cards that called for, among other things, having a woman show you her tits. My husband is a good guy, but until I showed him the proof he assumed the women were blowing things out of proportion.

• Like 5

I am starting to believe the link isn't sports culture, but traumatic head injury. 

that said, no idea. I don't pay to watch people punch each other out.

I'm not excusing the violence, but they certainly suffer from traumatic head injury. When we lived in Las Vegas I tutored some kids whose parents knew an MMA boxer. They gave him my number and we discussed the possibility of my tutoring the boxer's son. They had moved up from South America and they were non-native English speakers, but it was clear from talking to him that some screws were loose. Combine impaired cognitive ability with a violent career and  you've got a recipe for trouble. 

As a Tampa Bay fan, DH and I were sooooo disappointed in the Buc's first draft pick. We really hoped the Buc's would pick Mariota, a much, much better choice in our opinion. We won't be in the area since we are moving but we will be watching from afar and I'm sure, wishing all the best for the Titans and Mariota.

• Like 1

As a Tampa Bay fan, DH and I were sooooo disappointed in the Buc's first draft pick. We really hoped the Buc's would pick Mariota, a much, much better choice in our opinion. We won't be in the area since we are moving but we will be watching from afar and I'm sure, wishing all the best for the Titans and Mariota.

Yes!

I might be biased because I've had the privilege of watching Marcus Mariota play for the last three years, but this decision speaks bounds. 

There's an interesting book I recently read pertaining to this. It was written by a woman who was married to an NFL coach and who is also a theologian, so it is from a Christian perspective. 

http://wipfandstock.com/touchdowns-for-jesus-and-other-signs-of-apocalypse.html