Menu

Book a Week 2015 - W17: Poem in your Pocket

Robin M

I finished the book this morning and read the interview at the end of the book. I think he did capture most of the feeling of the land, although my personal opinion (and who am I to contradict Gaiman?) is that to capture the feel of a lost land one needs more botanical information. I would have loved to hear more about the native plants, not just the ones planted around the house and in the fields. But that's just me and my own preference. As soon as stories are set in England I want to hear about wild roses, heather, and peat.  ;)

I just finished. I'm speechless.

We'll see how long that lasts.  ;)

• Like 7

Hello friends.  Just checking in.  I haven't read anything in a long time.   :huh:   I don't know what my problem is.  Reading rut?  Too tired?  Uninspired?  I don't know.  

Anyway I need to at least be hanging out here and chatting with my friends and seeing what y'all are reading.  I missed you guys.

Robin - Hiya cutie!  Love the new avatar.  

• Like 11

I just finished. I'm speechless.

We'll see how long that lasts.  ;)

I was also astounded.

DH is still not talking much about it. Although I suspected it was the content of the book that got to him, I was allowing for the idea he didn't want to accidentally spoil it for me. Now that I'm done, he still doesn't want to talk about it much, so there you go.

• Like 7

Hello friends.  Just checking in.  I haven't read anything in a long time.   :huh:   I don't know what my problem is.  Reading rut?  Too tired?  Uninspired?  I don't know.  

Anyway I need to at least be hanging out here and chatting with my friends and seeing what y'all are reading.  I missed you guys.

I wondered what had happened to you, Amy. I figured you were off traipsing around the world & would fill us in on exciting trip details & photos!

I kwym about not reading much. I don't seem to be doing oodles of it myself. Just dribs & drabs here & there. I don't know if I'm unfocused, have spring fever, or what.

Glad you're back.

• Like 8

Just finished Arcadia and read about half of one thousand gifts and skinned the test.

So, I guess that means you read Five Hundred Gifts!

I just finished the urban fantasy anthology Night Shift which has novellas by Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, Lisa Shearin, and Milla Vane (evidently a pseudonym for Meljean Brook).  I have to admit that anthologies can be hit or miss, but I enjoyed all four entries of this one.

"New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh delivers a smoldering story with Secrets at Midnight, as the scent of Bastien Smith’s elusive lover ignites a possessiveness in him that’s as feral as it is ecstatic. And now that he’s found his mate, he’ll do anything to keep her.

In #1 New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews’ novella, Magic Steals, when people start going missing, shapeshifting tigress Dali Harimau and jaguar shifter Jim Shrapshire must uncover the truth about the mysterious creatures responsible.

From Milla Vane—a warrior princess must tame The Beast of Blackmoor to earn a place among her people. But she quickly discovers that the beast isn't a monster, but a barbarian warrior who intends to do some taming himself. 

It’s seer Makenna Frazier's first day on the job at Supernatural Protection and Investigations, and her first assignment is more than she bargained for when bodyguard duty for a leprechaun prince’s bachelor party goes every which way but right in national bestselling author Lisa Shearin’s Lucky Charms."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

You know, my parents were very careful people, involved with our projects and dreams and worries, taking us everywhere with them, great problem solvers. They fixed just about everything for us it is possible to fix. There were tons of things we weren't,t allowed to do. You couldn't ask for better parents. And despite that, it was amazing how little I told them as a child. I didn,t think they had anything to do with my school. There was a lot I didn,t have words for and a lot I didn't want to relive or didn,t want to make more real by talking about. They were honest and would not promise anything they weren't dead certain about. They never lied about what they could and could not control. They used un-comforting words like " unlikely". Random bad life things did occasionally happen. I don,t think children have much grasp of statistics. I think children live in a different world than grownups.

Nan

• Like 8

I'm not quite finished - close, I should finish today - but I'm struck by Lettie's explanation of how the grown-up world works (this isn't a spoiler):

"I'm going to tell you something important. Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. The truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world."

and by the boy's (why do I want to call him Neil?) absolutely gut-wrenching description of childhood:

"I do not miss childhood, but I miss the way I took pleasure in small things, even as greater things crumbled. I could not control the world I was in, could not walk away from things or people or moments that hurt, but I found joy in the things that made me happy."

Where's that tears-rolling-down-the-face emoticon???

Still thinking about this lol... Children have so little control over their lives. I think it is easier to take pleasure in the small things when you can,t control anything.

Nan

• Like 8

Read 2 in a series by Sherwood Smith:

Coronets and Steel

Blood Spirits

i've read Sherwood Smith for a while, starting with her co-written with Andre Norton books, then Wren series, love Crown Duel/Court Duel, made it through the whole Inda series, but recently when I have read her 'lessor known' books -- the descriptions just rub me wrong somehow.    Coronets and Steel was more this way of the two.. especially the main character 'shooting her finger' at people :huh:  

Also Alternate Day Diet (first diet book I finished in a while and actually trying this one -- basically relatively extreme diet calorie wise... but only every other day)

• Like 6

2015 Book List

1 The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

2 The Motivation Manifesto by Burchard

3 The Magic Art of Tidying

4 The One and Only by Giffin

5 One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World

6 Not that Kind of Girl by Dunham

7 The Search for Significance by McGee

8 10% Happier

9 To Kill A Mockingbird--audio book.

10 Unbroken with DS-audio

11 Mastering Tung's Acupuncture--for work

12 You Are A Badass

12 Coming up for Air by George Orwell

13. The Westing Game-audio

14. The Hole in our Holiness by Kevin DeYoung

15. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen-audio

16. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson-audio

17. The Girl on the Train-audio

17. Emma by Jane Austen-current

18. Ender’s Game-audio-current

19. Prayer by Timothy Keller

18 Arcadia by Lauren Groff

19 We are All Completely Beside Ourselves-current

20 One Thousand Gifts

I am really enjoying We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves--really funny and well-written. Arcadia was magnificent. One Thousand Gifts was so-so--a bit indulgent and repetitive, although I appreciated the basic message that gratitude to God should pay a much larger role in our lives. Going to work on that as a means to help work through my depression. 
  • Like 10

Yes! I love The Graveyard Book. Love it. I've read M is for Magic (collection of short stories), The Graveyard Book, The Ocean, and Anansi Boys. Graveyard Book is my favorite and Ocean is my second. 

I think I will download the Graveyard Book on audible for our next read, once Ender's Game is done.  I also love Stephen King, so my guess is I will like Gaiman. I actually have read part of American Gods and then put it down. I am not sure why--I was enjoying it. Maybe I will pick it up again.

• Like 9

Early this morning I finished Fury of Ice which is the second book in the Dragonfury series by Coreene Callahan.  It's a paranormal romance.  It was a pleasurable read.  I'd recommend reading the first book in the series rather than starting with this one.

"Homicide detective Angela Keen thrives on the city’s rough streets. But when she becomes the prize of all prizes in the dragon-shifter world due to her “high-energy†status, she gets more than she bargained for. Kidnapped by Lothair of the Razorback clan, Angela barely survives captivity before managing to escape. Hurt and alone with nowhere to hide, she faces certain death when Lothair uses the trace energy she leaves in her wake to hunt her down. But before he can reach her, a mystery dragon-shifter intervenes and saves Angela’s life.

Now a guest of the Nightfury clan, Angela regains her strength as her rescuer, Rikar, the last living frost dragon, gradually breaks down her mistrust. Surrendering to her desire for Rikar, but still uncertain of her feelings, Angela goes against his wishes and agrees to be used as bait to lure Lothair into the open. As the battle commences, the true struggle comes from within: Will Angela return home to the life she loves, or forsake it all to be with Rikar?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Library Book Sale day!!! My town has one of the major library sales in the country, so it is always a fun time. I brave the vendors and go on the first day. I am tough like that.

But...I only bought cookbooks and a few things for homeschooling :laugh:

I don't buy fiction unless I have no other option. I am married to a librarian who works at a major university library. I text him and he brings books home, lol.

And if anyone is interested, today is Free Comic Book Day!  My kids have already got theirs.

Between booksale day and Free Comic Book day my kids think it is Christmas.

• Like 10

Robin - Hiya cutie!  Love the new avatar.  

Hi doll! We've missed you too!

Library Book Sale day!!! My town has one of the major library sales in the country, so it is always a fun time. I brave the vendors and go on the first day. I am tough like that.

But...I only bought cookbooks and a few things for homeschooling :laugh:

I don't buy fiction unless I have no other option. I am married to a librarian who works at a major university library. I text him and he brings books home, lol.

And if anyone is interested, today is Free Comic Book Day!  My kids have already got theirs.

Between booksale day and Free Comic Book day my kids think it is Christmas.

We just got back from the comic book store.  Always fun!

I just finished reading another paranormal. A new to me series Night Prince  by Jeanienne Frost which is a spin off from Night Huntress.  I still haven't finished reading all of Cats and Bones adventures. Got tired of them so taking a break. However  Once Burned is very good and will be reading Twice Tempted next. 

• Like 8

I just finished reading another paranormal. A new to me series Night Prince by Jeanienne Frost which is a spin off from Night Huntress. I still haven't finished reading all of Cats and Bones adventures. Got tired of them so taking a break. However Once Burned is very good and will be reading Twice Tempted next.

I read Night Prince about a year ago and enjoyed it. I decided to wait to read the rest of that series after I finish the Cats and Bones series. Not sure why I haven't finished them, the time never seems right when the hold arrives. Someday......

I finished the latest Jonathan Kellerman, Motive, which is part of his Alex Deleware series. It was absolutely fine but missing something...the who did it part was not quite right for one thing. I can't say more without a spoiler. For a long time reader it was fine but I can't imagine that book inspiring me to read others.

I started the Rock Addiction book that others have been reading. I am sure I will finish it soon! ;)

• Like 7

I didn't get much of my book read because we got a frantic call at 4pm saying there was a sibling group of four that they hated to break up but they found a home for two, would I consider taking one of the younger 2. I just kind of blurted, "If you'll let me, I'll take both!" They're here for at least the weekend but they'll likely look for another home because my vehicle only seats 5 kids. I'm just kind of praying that my husband will open his heart to the idea of getting a bigger vehicle because 24 hours in, my heart is GONE. Sunk. These rowdy, rambunctious toddlers (4.5 boy and 15 month old girl) are wonderfully mischievous and I would love to have them here for however long is needed. We'll see how it goes, it's all on the husband now to make the decision to look for a bigger vehicle or not. Any way you look at it, I'm so glad to have even gotten one weekend with these crazy kiddos.

• Like 11

Since I've had an idea that the next script I write will be a play-within-a-play, I decided to read a bunch of plays-within-plays. I read Noises Off and thought it was hysterical. So clever and well put-together! Hope I can see it in the theater someday.

Also started the collected poems of Adrienne Rich.

It's so interesting to hear what you all are reading. :)

• Like 6

I didn't get much of my book read because we got a frantic call at 4pm saying there was a sibling group of four that they hated to break up but they found a home for two, would I consider taking one of the younger 2. I just kind of blurted, "If you'll let me, I'll take both!" They're here for at least the weekend but they'll likely look for another home because my vehicle only seats 5 kids. I'm just kind of praying that my husband will open his heart to the idea of getting a bigger vehicle because 24 hours in, my heart is GONE. Sunk. These rowdy, rambunctious toddlers (4.5 boy and 15 month old girl) are wonderfully mischievous and I would love to have them here for however long is needed. We'll see how it goes, it's all on the husband now to make the decision to look for a bigger vehicle or not. Any way you look at it, I'm so glad to have even gotten one weekend with these crazy kiddos.

Best reason ever for not getting much reading done!

• Like 8

Noseinabook, you are so amazing. Definitely a great excuse for not reading!

Stacia, thanks for the link. I think I may go hunting for a Ruth Rendell.....seems appropriate. I have read several over the years.

• Like 6

For this week I read "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.  My 8yo read "Angelina Ballerina's Invitation to the Ball" by Katharine Holabird.

Always a favorite poem in our house:

Ooey Gooey - Author Unknown

Ooey Gooey was a worm

A mighty worm was he.

He stepped upon the railroad tracks.

The train he did not see!

Ooooey Goooey!

:)

• Like 6