Menu

Please help me buy a SUV with 3rd row

MotherGoose

...that is functional. Toyota Sequoia, Surburban, etc are too big. I have a Volvo XC90 now without a 3rd row. Looked at Toyota Highlander with captain's chairs where there's an aisle that goes to the back, that sounds good. My kids are 6, 9, and baby so we still need car seats/boosters. Looked at Acura MDX but with car seats/boosters a seat that has to fold down every time for entry/exit is not feasible. Considering Volvo XC90 too, perhaps 2016 model??? Open to all suggestions. I should probably give in and go minivan but I don't want to!! :)

We have a Ford Flex. 8yo and 5yo in the third row in boosters, and baby behind the driver. We do have to flip up one side of the middle row for the kids to reach the back seat, but it has a button to push so it is pretty easy. I like it, although I still think a minivan would have been more practical. My husband LOVES it. We also get lots of compliments from men, so I guess men really like it for some reason. 

Years ago, I had a Ford Expedition and found it to be very comfortable. I think the Suburban is the same size as the Ford Excursion, bigger than the Expedition. It didn't feel big at all. I think there are now some Explorers with the third row too. I do know that with the Expedition, even with three children, I almost never used the third row. A booster, a harnessed seat, and an infant seat fit very nicely across the middle row. Using the third row really killed the cargo space, so that's something to consider. When the Expedition got totaled in an accident, I ended up with a minivan (Ford Windstar -- terrible money pit of a vehicle, but very comfortable to drive), and I was amazed at all of its cargo space. Plus the gas mileage was better than the Expedition's 10mpg, almost double. (And now I'm driving practically the granddaddy of them all, the Ford full size van, but that's because five kids, four of whom will be tall boys, need leg space. Even the Expedition would be cramped now. But oh, it was a lovely vehicle!)

My suburban doesn't feel big at all :). I'd really recommend a minivan over an SUV unless you absolutely have to have the four wheel drive option. Better price and comfort for the seating than an SUV, and easier to park.

My suburban doesn't feel big at all :). I'd really recommend a minivan over an SUV unless you absolutely have to have the four wheel drive option. Better price and comfort for the seating than an SUV, and easier to park.

I don't need the 4 wheel drive option, but there's something about the minivan that makes me feel like someone's mother....and I can never escape that even when I have no kids with me. I know it's practical, and after all I AM someone's mother :)

We got the Buick Enclave (same as Chevy Traverse). The third row is functional, even for adults.

But man, that thing is big though!  Very comfortable but BIG.  My mom gave her's up because she was afraid she is getting too short to drive it safely. She loved it, but it was too much car for her. I felt like I was driving an ocean liner, lol. It barely fit in her 1960s garage

But man, that thing is big though!  Very comfortable but BIG.  My mom gave her's up because she was afraid she is getting too short to drive it safely. She loved it, but it was too much car for her. I felt like I was driving an ocean liner, lol. It barely fit in her 1960s garage

Ha! It is big but I fit it next to DHs car in our garage with no problems. It's not nearly as large as some of those Ford SUVs. I, too, think a minivan is more practical but cannot bring myself to own one. My kids are big enough that they don't swing the car doors into other vehicles and the backup camera makes parking it a cinch, even in tight spaces.  Also, I looked at the Q7 too. The interior is beautiful and, if you don't need a functional 3rd row, the best out there IMHO. We needed the third row to be comfy for adults tho. DH is tall and our kids are getting taller. ;)

Almost forgot, If you're looking gently used, the Saturn Outlook (now discontinued) has the exact same interior capacity/configurations as the Traverse and Enclave.

We have a highlander with the third row. I love the size and utility, but if you are going to use the 3rd row all the time, there is NO space at all behind it (ok almost none). We just have 4 in our family and the third row is perfect for when we have more than 5 people. Our middle row has a switchable console/middle seat so we can seat 5. 

• Like 1

I will throw my perspective in and say that unless you need other SUV features than appearance, go with a minivan.  SUVs in general are much more expensive at the time of purchase and more expensive on gas. I don't know about repair costs; I haven't compared that. Initially when I purchased my minivan, I included SUVs in my search. After seeing the gas mileage difference and how much more minivan I could get for my money in comparison, I quit looking at SUVs. Minivans are also designed more for young families. 

Just think how nice your wardrobe could be if you spent just a portion of the money you were considering spending on an upgraded vehicle appearance on clothes.

Buy what you want though, no judgement from me, your priorities are what you decide.

ETA: Sliding doors are really awesome.

• Like 2

The fuel cost. Oy vey. I wish we could still fit into vans smaller than full sized - but I'll be getting my new Nissan NV in a month and am super excited. It handles almost as well on ice as our SUV but is so much nicer to drive and load. Can't wait to ditch my suburban for a van. A minivan would be a dream but we just need too many seats. Oh well :)

My SIL loathed the idea of getting a minivan and now loves her Honda Odyssey (switched from a full-size Suburban, and chose the Odyssey specifically because at the time it had seatbelts for eight, which she needs).  We are on our second Kia Sedona, with plans to buy another when this one wears out.  I will personally recommend the Kia Sedona for great value for the price, a really versatile and functional vehicle, great safety features, and all around comfort.  People who resist minivans because they aren't "cool" don't know what a great thing they are missing.  The latest models of Sedona even have optional seat COOLING as well as seat heat for the front row, and seat heat for the second row.  They also have a 360 degree camera view, which no other maker appears to have out right now, and the option for an eighth seat/seatbelt.  Woohoo!

We have a highlander with the third row. I love the size and utility, but if you are going to use the 3rd row all the time, there is NO space at all behind it (ok almost none). We just have 4 in our family and the third row is perfect for when we have more than 5 people. Our middle row has a switchable console/middle seat so we can seat 5.

Stuff gets thrown under people's feet if you are using all the seats.

I do like it, though. I did not want a super big car, it is noticably shorter than a minivan, the length of a mini van to me is worse thean the whole minivanness of it.

Also, if you have all the seats filled, you have to have the people in the back row climb in from the back. So far, the ages I have and their friends all think that is super fun and funny, but it is not something the grandparents could do...

• Like 1

Also, if you have all the seats filled, you have to have the people in the back row climb in from the back. So far, the ages I have and their friends all think that is super fun and funny, but it is not something the grandparents could do...

Since my youngest is 16, the fun is gone from that idea. However, she is a competitive gymnast and so are most of her friends, which means they are all little in spite of being 15-18. They fit back there just fine and don't mind climbing either.  :lol:

When the kids were younger we had a minivan for years and it was great with littles. Good access, tons of space. I was very happy when they were old enough to switch back to an SUV though.

I love my highlander. 

• Like 1

My partner just traded a Pilot for the Nissan Rogue. It's small but gets mileage like a car. It is also easy to park. Needless to say the Nissan is not as well-built as the Honda, but it's cute. He is happy with it so far.