Menu

Book a Week 2015: W16 - Sonnets

Robin M

eta:

Oh wait, I just remembered that it is NOT in second person, but first person PLURAL.

Well, that's very different.

Never mind

Which? Anthem?

I was thinking the 2nd person novel sounds like something Faulkner would do. Tom Robbins? I think he has one like that (not Only Cowgirls Get the Blues...one of the other ones). 

Doesn't Camus have one that starts off in a long 2nd person address but is really a 1st person novel? The Fall maybe?

• Like 10

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just dropped oldest at his ship.  For once, I got to see it!  Usually, I just put him on an airplane.  Trekkies, you will never believe the ship's name! : )  It is a small compensation that I get his dog.  And the eggs from his chickens, since girlfriend doesn't eat many.  I am reading recipe books this afternoon looking for things to do with eggs.

Violet, we fry fish, too.  Usually bluefish is fried. Not deep fried, tthough. Youngest made us all watch that mythbusters grease fire video. And we eat fried seafood of all sorts in restaurants. Yum.

Nan

• Like 11

Which? Anthem?

I was thinking the 2nd person novel sounds like something Faulkner would do. Tom Robbins? I think he has one like that (not Only Cowgirls Get the Blues...one of the other ones). 

Doesn't Camus have one that starts off in a long 2nd person address but is really a 1st person novel? The Fall maybe?

The link was for a novel called 'And Then We Came To the End". It was weird but good, lol.

So, I finished Lena Dunham's "Not That Kind of Girl".  I really enjoyed it. But I can see that it isn't for everyone. I 'get' Lena Dunham, I understand her perspective. I can see why someone else might read the book and totally hate it though. If you like David Sedaris (and I really, really do) then you might want to check this out.

So, I have a conundrum. I was totally torn and could not decide between two books. So, I borrowed both and now I don't know which to start with. The thing is, there is a chance that I might get done with the first and have to read another book I have on hold. That would preclude reading the second for a while.

So, here are the two books:

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler: I want to read it b/c of the author. Really, the content isn't really drawing me, but I have had that happen with Butler before and I have always been impressed with what she does.

or

The Secret Life of Buildings: From the Ruins of the Parthenon to the Vegas Strip in Thirteen Stories By Edward Hollis. I have no idea about the author, I just like these type of natural history type books. I am a sucker for them. "Around the word in 6 glasses"?  Yes, I will read that. "Cod"? yep, got that as well. "A Natural history of the Crow"?  Loved it.

I am leaning towards the Buildings book, but anyone else want to weigh in?

• Like 12

The Secret Life of Buildings: From the Ruins of the Parthenon to the Vegas Strip in Thirteen Stories By Edward Hollis. I have no idea about the author, I just like these type of natural history type books. I am a sucker for them. "Around the word in 6 glasses"?  Yes, I will read that. "Cod"? yep, got that as well. "A Natural history of the Crow"?  Loved it.

I am leaning towards the Buildings book, but anyone else want to weigh in?

I too vote for Buildings because I also love those sorts of history books. Loved the A History of the World in 6 Glasses, for instance.  The Men Who United the States is that kind of off-beat history book that groups things by an unusual classification, and it totally works. (The US book is organized by the 5 elements -- a classical Chinese concept -- earth, air, fire, water and metal.) I now need to find A Natural History of the Crow!

• Like 8

I too vote for Buildings because I also love those sorts of history books. Loved the A History of the World in 6 Glasses, for instance.  The Men Who United the States is that kind of off-beat history book that groups things by an unusual classification, and it totally works. (The US book is organized by the 5 elements -- a classical Chinese concept -- earth, air, fire, water and metal.) I now need to find A Natural History of the Crow!

I read it over 15 years ago, but I really liked it.

You might also like the books by Ackerman: A Natural History of the Senses, A Natural History of Love, An Alchemy of Mind, etc etc. She has quite a few.

I love those types of books and fiction books that have recipes in them. Those two types of books will get me every time.

Remember Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe? I love that book like it is a person.

• Like 12

I was trying to remember if I've ever read another novel written entirely in the 2nd person.  Well, besides Choose Your Own Adventure books,  :lol:  Can anybody think of novels written this way? I'm drawing a blank.

It's not a novel, but ....

"Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places. You're off and away!"

from Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

All the Light we Cannot See takes the Pulitzer for fiction!  And The 6th Great Extinction takes it for nonfiction! 

:hurray: :hurray:

Good job! 

I have been on the waiting list for months for All the Light, lol. I am currently #62 out of who knows how many,  At this rate, maybe I will get it sometimes after the next Pulitzer is announced. And I think the list is even longer for The 6th Great Extinction.

• Like 11

Uh, so the bwa ha ha about being nice means you're going to be mean??? :bored: :crying:

:laugh:

Sorry!  I didn't mean to be unclear!!  I meant just kidding about the bwa ha ha.  ;)  I will be nice.  Promise  :D

• Like 8

This was utilized in another thread and I thought it worth mentioning here

Who knew?

On the function bar to the left of the font option is a "BBCode" button.  Press and scroll down to the spoiler option.

Who knew? indeed!

Neat! (But will I remember how to do this when I want to?)

Thanks, Jane!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Speaking of Ezra Pound, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, he was instrumental in working with Joyce to get Ulysses published. From The Most Dangerous Book:

Pound was disgusted. "These vermin crawl over and be-slime our literature with their pulings," he told Joyce's agent. For Pound, the rejection of a writer like Joyce was the latest evidence the Allies were fighting the wrong enemies. "You English will get no prose till you exterminate this breed...Why can't you send the publisher's readers to the Serbian front and get some good out of the war."

And later, in regards to printers cutting portions of writings they deemed offensive or would possibly get them thrown in jail:

Pound, who was nothing if not resourceful, came up with an idea: they could leave large blank spaces in the text wherever a printer wished to cut words or passages. Then they could type out all of the deleted portions on quality paper and paste the omitted words into every single copy - "And damn the censors." Joyce thought it was ingenious. The printers, unfortunately, thought it was madcap.

• Like 5

Robin, That UpTtown Funk parody was hilarious. My kids love the original and thought this was pretty fun too. 

TeacherZee, I can never read that without hearing it in Alan Rickman's voice. Mmm. 

Mom-ninja, I was all about Guybrarian too!

Hi ladies! Peeking in. It's been hectic around here so I haven't gotten nearly as much reading done as I would have liked. Kids have been extra needy lately so there isn't much down time for me. I finished up Alex Marwood's The Killer Next Door and started in on Tana French's In The Woods. I hear really good things about Tana French so I'm hoping that I enjoy it! 

• Like 8

Since sonnets were mentioned, I'll repost this link I posted last week.

Jo Walton Writes Amazing Godzilla Sonnets

Regards,

Kareni

I love Jo.  ...and the idea of a Godzilla/Shakespeare mashup is more than a little mindblowing.

Well, I'm reading The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells - inspired by Lewis's dedication in Out of the Silent Planet - and really enjoying it.

I'm also - dare I confess? listening to Phantom of the Opera (the Leroux novel). The girls and I watched the 25th anniversary extravaganza of the Opera a couple of weeks ago, and they fell in love with it.  We downloaded the music to their ipods, and they walk around the house singing it constantly. I am trying to decide whether it's worth having Shannon read. I know it's often panned as lit, but I think she'd enjoy it, and it does connect thematically with stuff she's read this year - Dr. Jekyll, The Invisible man -and she so resonated with the idea of the alienated anti-hero.  And then I ran into the fanfiction book Angel of the Opera: Sherlock Homes Meets the Phantom of the Opera, and I think she'd love it! Two of her favorite fictional characters going head to head. I realize I may get banned from a Classical Education board for this, but oh well!  :lol:

In, ahem, more serious reading, I am also working on E O Wilson's The Meaning of Human Existence,

I can't imagine being willing to try Perelandra again, but the Wells I would like to try - thank you!

I don't think Phantom is amazing literature, but several of my kids have enjoyed reading it... and it certainly isn't more poorly written than some staples of high school reading lists...

I started the Wilson the other year, but was reading too many things at once and had to give it back to the library... I've been meaning to revisit it... but will wait to see what you think (I should be waiting anyway since I'm (theoretically) not using the library right now - though maybe the library has an ebook version....)

A couple of recent books from indie publishers jumped off the shelf when I walked by.  The first is from the venerable New York Review of Books Classics series:  The Professor and the Siren by Guiseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa (translated by Stephen Twilley).  The books in this series often have intros that help put them or their authors in context--particularly since many of their authors may not be well known in the US.  Thus I began reading the introduction by Marina Warner with interest, only to find myself agog.  For example, Warner writes:

Maybe this is how English majors feel when they read math texts--unable to complete the sentence!

The quote didn't show up - but it seems a not too obscure version of the fairly dense scholarly language I slog through sometimes in lit-crit.  I dislike the prose style, and I can see that if the references aren't familiar it would be gibberish, but I think it has more real words than some upper-level math books... and the concepts aren't as mind-bendy.  (Note: I actually prefer math books to lit-crit, but I find the former harder work to follow.)  (Disclaimer: I am not and will never (G-d willing) be an English major)

Yeah, well, I've had the flu for a week, which means lots of time lying on the couch reading . . . 

Oh, dear!  Wishing you a speedy, complete recovery.  :grouphug:

It was so beautifully written, like prose poetry. The point of view - 2nd person, stream of consciousness - was so unusual, too, it really pulled you in. I have to confess I was really nervous when he started describing his experience of torture, because the way the book was written everything in it was so immediate - so personal - it really feels like it is happening to you. It was difficult to read those parts. 

At the end, Laabi calls himself A FOOL FOR HOPE.  As somebody who sometimes finds it hard to hope, I find his attitude - given his experiences in prison - both chastening and inspiring.

ETA: The other aspect I was so struck by was the humanity he described among the prisoners - how they cared for each other and supported each other. After their convictions (i.e. after the initial arrests, torture, trials) they were in a "normal" prison, not a concentration camp, but the contrast between his descriptions of the prisoner's solidarity vs. something like Wiesel's description of the prisoner's inhumanity to one another was very striking. Totally different circumstances, I realize.  But this was one of the aspects of imprisonment I was interested in exploring this year in my various readings, so this was an interesting perspective.

That sounds amazing.  I'm not in a place to contain such a narrative right now, but I'm adding it to my lists for when I am strong/brave enough.

I also read Wild, by Cheryl Strayed.  I really enjoyed that.  I think it was well written, which was nice.  Many travel/hiking memoirs are not. I cried a lot while reading that book.  Note to self, don't spend the afternoon reading at Starbucks if the book is especially sad.  At one point, it took everything I had not to start sobbing

My weeks are still busy.  My ds13 is playing baseball with the public school and I've been running him everywhere as well as our normal stuff, plus it's the end of the semester and my kids have lots of papers and projects due for co-op (our first year doing it, so a new experience). We had a lot of company last month, and that's about to pick up again.  I also had been sick a lot, and I am still running to doctors over a couple different issues.  Fun times. :p

I have been scanning the book posts, but I'll admit, lately I've been hoping that no new books catch my eye, because I'm out of time. :D

I've looked at Wild before, but not been sure.  I'll add it to my TBR lists - thank you!

I hope you find some stillness in all the hectic-ness... and that you feel better soon! 

I'm on another (temporary) self-imposed library ban (except for ebooks) until I finish regrouping post-wedding, post-guests, post-holiday... so I keep hoping that you will all only recommend books I already have on my shelves... :)

I just have to share this because my sisters aren't happy about it, but  I am.  My dad thinks he is in love. He meet a woman through Church and she's drawn him out of his fog and grief and now he's laughing and busy and having fun.  His priest introduced them in order for Dad to help her with financial planning. No plans for the future, but he's happy!

:party:   Happiness and love... in (it sounds like) a context of caring and integrity.  That is wonderful!  ...though I can imagine how it could be hard for your siblings, especially if they are still processing their grief.  ...but I'm glad you are able to see joy in it, and be happy for him. :grouphug:

I know what you mean. I've been reading up about Imagism, Vorticism, BLAST magazine, and Pound's assistance to James Joyce in helping him overcome censorship. The Most Dangerous Book has one of Pound's poems in it as an example of something that took him months to write as he attempted to cut out all extraneous words, including verbs. At any rate, there are only so many I can tolerate as well.

Intellectually I can find many of them fascinating and there can be some powerful, engaging images, but it isn't poetry I turn to for pleasure.

I finally got around to reading my alliteration choice, some Archibald MacLeish.

"For all the history of grief

An empty doorway and a maple leaf.

For love

The leaning grasses and two lights above the sea--

A poem should not mean but be"

From MacLeish's Ars Poetica

Nan

...and there's an antidote to Pound... I am very fond of MacLeish - thank you for posting this, Nan.

This week I finished The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch, by Sue Fishkoff.  The book was excellent -- really high-quality journalism --and it gave me some very valuable insight into certain dynamics I've noticed in different Jewish communities, including the one we live in now.  A few things that did not make sense to me before now make a lot more sense.  

The Wild Duck was the first play I saw at The Royal Dramatic Theater in Stockholm in high school. I really should go back and read it again, I seem to recall that it really affected me.

I really should read The Rebbe's Army, it has been on my TBR pile since I read Mystics, Maverics and Merrymakers

I think The Wild Duck is the most heart-breakingly depressing of Ibsen's plays.

I had mixed feelings about Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers.  It doesn't match well with my exposures to Chasidic communities, but I always enjoy hearing individual people's stories and experiences.  I do want to read The Rebbe's Army - I now have two daughters (and 2 sons-in-law) in Chabad communities, and a host of mechutanim (I wish there were an English word for my relationship with my children's in-laws... )

Did anybody see this?  a list of the 24 books that inspired Gabriel Garcia Marquez. With commentary. I need to add a few to my to-read list!

http://www.brainpickings.org/2015/04/06/marquez-favorite-books/

Too much Faulkner...

...but I'd like to read the memoir from which the list was culled.  I love his prose, but haven't been able to read any of his fiction...

I'm also drawing a blank, although I have the feeling I have read a few at some point. Here's a list of popular 2nd person novels, according to Goodreads. I see a Lord Peter Whimsey story, which is strange as I think I've read most of them but don't remember any 2nd person ones.

Whose Body?  is definitely not written in the second person.  Someone must have entered it on the wrong list...

:mechutanim (I wish there were an English word for my relationship with my children's in-laws... )

Me, too. My sister and I are the nexus which joins our inlaws into our clan, it is really difficult to explain to people the various relationships. I wouldn't even try except that at times we need to emphasize the family-ness. When I insert something like "my sister,s mother-in-law" into a conversation, it comes to a screeching halt while people try to figure out what that means. "Clan member" is what my generation has settled on. Our children aunt or uncle or Grammy or cousin everyone, ignoring the relationship and going by age. Our parents say "daughter,s inlaw" and seem to get away with it. It is all very inconvenient and we think English is a very un-family-friendly.

It sounds like other languages might be better about this?

Nan

• Like 11

This evening I finished Coreene Callahan's Fury of Fire (Dragonfury Series).  It was a pleasant read, somewhat reminiscent of J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. 

"A clandestine race of half-dragon, half-humans known as dragon-shifters lives among us. Bastian, leader of the Nightfury dragon clan, is sworn to protect humankind at all costs. For him, honor and duty always come first. When the clan dictates he take a human mate to sire a son, he falters, aware that for a human to birth a dragon-shifter she must die. Myst, the woman given into his care, is the most extraordinary he’s ever met, and though he can’t bear the thought of harming her he is bound by duty.

Myst loves her life in the human world, but Bastian has captured her heart in an instant of electric connection. But Bastian and his warriors are in the middle of a deadly battle with the Razorback dragon-shifters, intent on killing every Nightfury clan member—and the humans they protect—the fate of their world and ours hangs in the balance.

An extraordinary blend of action, fantasy, and steamy romance, Fury of Fire brings to life a dangerous new world intertwined with the survival of humanity, all while exploring the meaning of honor and the nature of true love."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Reading has been gaining slowly for me considering I am just reading light fluffy books. Finally finished The MacGregor's Lady by Grace Burrowes. This has been a fun historical series so far.

I read quite an amazing amount of my Rusk University book, All Broke Down, by Cora Carmack today while sitting in the car waiting for family members. I read over 40 percent of a book sitting and waiting......made me really appreciate all the waiting my mom did for me.

• Like 10

Yesterday I finished Heidi Cullinan's Love Lessons which I would describe as a new adult romance featuring two men.  I enjoyed it very much.  I've read a couple of other books co-written by this author; however, this one was far longer and had a more developed relationship between the two main characters. (Adult content.)  You might like this one, TeacherZee.

"Love doesn’t come with a syllabus.

Kelly Davidson has waited what seems like forever to graduate high school and get out of his small-minded, small town. But when he arrives at Hope University, he quickly realizes finding his Prince Charming isn’t so easy. Everyone here is already out. In fact, Kelly could be the only virgin on campus.

Worst of all, he’s landed the charming, handsome, gay campus Casanova as a roommate, whose bed might as well be equipped with a revolving door.

Walter Lucas doesn’t believe in storybook love. Everyone is better off having as much fun as possible with as many people as possible…except his shy, sad little sack of a roommate is seriously screwing up his world view.

As Walter sets out to lure Kelly out of his shell, staying just friends is harder than he anticipated. He discovers love is a crash course in determination. To make the grade, he’ll have to finally show up for class…and overcome his own private fear that love was never meant to last."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Just arrived in the mail, fresh off the presses: Umberto Eco's 1977 classic How to Write a Thesis, now translated into English. Great Girl is reaching that point, and dh is competent (unlike me) to give her relevant advice in advisor selection, methodology, etc., so I offered her Eco. She looked at the one-star review that said, "The book contains little salient information or procedures to formally construct, compose, write, & edit a thesis. I learned more about Italian philosophy and socialist politics then I did about writing," and said, "Sold!" So here it is, smelling deliciously of printer's ink, and since she's off taking an evening exam, I think I will browse in it when little people are in bed.

• Like 9

All right, books...

A Dream in Polar Fog, by Yuri Rytheu, as recommended by Stacia and Eliana.  A Canadian sailor with wounded hands, gangrene setting in, stranded in a native Siberian village, who slowly learns to be human.  How did I love this book, let me count the ways... not the least of which was, without spoilers, my ever-recurring anxiety throughout that it all would end up being no more than a dream in polar fog...

Does Santa Exist: A Philosophical Investigation, by Eric Kaplan, STRONGLY URGED UPON ME by Jane.  Yes, dear, you were right.  Laugh out loud funny, and also serious, which is unsurprising given that the author is a writer for Big Bang Theory, along with also being a PhD candidate at Berkely (this book is, evidently, where he parks his comic responses to the dusty philosophical tomes I was incapable of pressing myself through this time last year), a sorta-Buddhist and sorta-observant Jew.

All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr.  This was for an IRL book group, selected before it won the Pulitzer for fiction earlier this week, so naturally we're all feeling rather smug about our discernment capacities... Follows the WWII narratives of two young protagonists, a blind girl in Paris/Brittainy, and an orphan in Germany, whose stories we can tell from the outset are bound to come together.  For Code Name Verity fans, it has elements -- code breaking, parts of the story that are held back from the reader and only slowly start to emerge -- that are similar.  I read it too quickly (since AS ALWAYS I was in a rush to finish it in time) and have now to go back in order to linger over the writing.  Highly recommended.

Thank God for Evolution: How the Marriage of Science and Religion will Transform Your Life and Our World, by Rev. Michael Dowd, a self-described "evolutionary evangelist" who has "dedicated his life to proclaiming the 'Great News' of a sacred view of cosmic, biological, and human evolution."  This is for my IRL interfaith book group, which devotes one month each year to delving into some aspect of science.  I really love and respect science, and I really love and respect religion, and I really, really cannot think of one single good thing to say about this book.

Science and Faith: A New Introduction, by John Haught, also for the same session of the same IRL group.  The best I can say about this one is, it's not as bad as the prior.  Sigh.  The meeting is tonight and I'm afraid my resolution to dial back my tendency for snark may be challenged.

Stacia, my daughter and I are about a third into Akata Witch and enjoying it immensely.  We both thank you!

• Like 11

Last night I stayed up late finishing Julia Gabriel's Drawing Lessons  which is a contemporary novel (romance? chick-lit?); I enjoyed it.  If you read it, I'd suggest you bask in the happy ending and DO NOT read the excerpt of the author's follow on book as it's clear that bad things have happened to the characters and much angst is in their futures.  I had no idea this was part of a series (duo?), and it stands alone well. 

"Art. Politics. Scandalous paintings.
And an artist who insists that not all seeing is done with the eyes.

Marie Witherspoon can't catch a break. She's been dumped by her husband--a rising political star--and humiliated by his gossip blogger mistress. Just when she's picked herself up and dusted herself off, her ex changes his mind and calls off the divorce.

There's just one hitch. Marie has rekindled an old hobby and her relationship with her new drawing teacher is way past the point of no return. With her heart on the line, she's prepared to do anything to keep from returning to her old life.

It's been twelve long years since Luc Marchand's life was shattered by a former student. Forced out of academia, he's walled off his heart and his career. Now he has a chance to revive both--if his past doesn't destroy everything for Luc and Marie first."

(Adult content)

I see that the author has a different book (which I have not read) that is free to Kindle readers ~ Cupcakes & Chardonnay by Julia Gabriel

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

This was utilized in another thread and I thought it worth mentioning here

Who knew?

On the function bar to the left of the font option is a "BBCode" button.  Press and scroll down to the spoiler option.

That is uber-nifty, Jane. I tried it when you first posted it & my pc kept locking up. But, now it seems to be working ok for me. Ultimately, I may or may not be able to use it (depending on my pc's mood that day); still, thanks for the info!

started in on Tana French's In The Woods. I hear really good things about Tana French so I'm hoping that I enjoy it! 

I'm kind of curious too (about Tana French). Is her stuff scary?

:party:   Happiness and love... in (it sounds like) a context of caring and integrity.  That is wonderful!  ...though I can imagine how it could be hard for your siblings, especially if they are still processing their grief.  ...but I'm glad you are able to see joy in it, and be happy for him. :grouphug:

Robin, I meant to comment when you first posted about your dad. So glad to hear that he's finding some happiness these days & that you can find happiness in his joy. :grouphug:

All right, books...

A Dream in Polar Fog, by Yuri Rytheu, as recommended by Stacia and Eliana.  A Canadian sailor with wounded hands, gangrene setting in, stranded in a native Siberian village, who slowly learns to be human.  How did I love this book, let me count the ways... not the least of which was, without spoilers, my ever-recurring anxiety throughout that it all would end up being no more than a dream in polar fog...

<snip>

Stacia, my daughter and I are about a third into Akata Witch and enjoying it immensely.  We both thank you!

:hurray:  Thanks for letting me know. It's always such a thrill when a recommendation hits the mark! :)

• Like 8

Me, too. My sister and I are the nexus which joins our inlaws into our clan, it is really difficult to explain to people the various relationships. I wouldn't even try except that at times we need to emphasize the family-ness. When I insert something like "my sister,s mother-in-law" into a conversation, it comes to a screeching halt while people try to figure out what that means. "Clan member" is what my generation has settled on. Our children aunt or uncle or Grammy or cousin everyone, ignoring the relationship and going by age. Our parents say "daughter,s inlaw" and seem to get away with it. It is all very inconvenient and we think English is a very un-family-friendly.

It sounds like other languages might be better about this?

Nan

My sister's husband's family originates in the Philippines. He and his siblings are thoroughly American, but his mother, who immigrated here at what must have been a very young age, has some customs from there. For one, she considers me and my kids to be just as much a part of the family as my sister and her kids. So, it's like having another mother in law, lol.  I call her my mother in law in law. Or sometimes my mother in law squared. 

I have another friend, since deceased, who divorced her loser husband, but remained very close with his family. She even went into business with his sister and brother. They referred to each other as 'out laws.'

It's nice that there are so many different ways to make a family

So, I am casting about for want of a book.  I have TWO library books on my kindle, but neither is calling to me. I just can't get up enough interest to really care. The Secret History of Buildings is....dull.  And, at least for me, it needs a whole lot more pictures or something. There are exhaustive descriptions of buildings, and comparisons to other buildings and changes in those buildings, but I can't make those pictures happen in my head. I could absolutely read and keep pulling up images on my laptop, but that is annoying and cuts into reading time. It makes me dread reading it.  This is not good. I am trying to not engage too much with all the descriptions and just get to the text that I can engage with, but that feels like I am only reading half the book. To be fair to the author, this is something I tend to not be good at. Any time there are lengthy descriptions of battles, with people coming over the crest of the hill or traveling miles southwest only to turn to the north, or the layout of a village is given, I just tune out. I can't keep a map in my head, nor do I need a detailed one. 

So, I don't know what to do.  I think I'll go check my library hold list and see if my salvation lies that way.

• Like 9

Busy weeks here--not a lot of reading. It's very sad to have to return library books that I really want to read but haven't been able to finish. Pioneer Girl (Laura Ingalls Wilder bio of sorts) goes back today. 14 days isn't enough time even in a calmer season. Haven't even started Ungifted yet either--think it's due next week. The books on trees are going back unread.

Finished Terry Pratchett's Mort and working on Reaper Man. Easy reading--definitely can read just a page or two at a time as schedule allows.  And they fit on a treadmill rack which the two bigger books mentioned above wouldn't. Would love to have longer chunks of time for reading but that's not likely probably until summer.

• Like 10

Busy weeks here--not a lot of reading. It's very sad to have to return library books that I really want to read but haven't been able to finish. Pioneer Girl (Laura Ingalls Wilder bio of sorts) goes back today. 14 days isn't enough time even in a calmer season. Haven't even started Ungifted yet either--think it's due next week. The books on trees are going back unread.

Finished Terry Pratchett's Mort and working on Reaper Man. Easy reading--definitely can read just a page or two at a time as schedule allows.  And they fit on a treadmill rack which the two bigger books mentioned above wouldn't. Would love to have longer chunks of time for reading but that's not likely probably until summer.

Just read a story in the Washington Post that Pioneer Girl is the hot book! It has taken the publisher by surprise. 

• Like 9

So, I am casting about for want of a book.

Did you ever read Helen Oyeyemi's book, Mr. Fox? You might enjoy that one. It's got fairy tale elements & magical realism, & despite the chilling stuff of fairy tales (Grimm & Perrault style, among others), it's utterly charming too.

• Like 7

Eliana--You, my dear, may have the lit-crit and pass the math texts my way!

Pam--I am glad that you enjoyed Does Santa Exist.  Perhaps you understand why I was a bit taken aback by the section on mysticism--Isaac Luria and Santa Claus sharing the same thought space?  What kind of mind even goes there?

Books!  I finished two, both of which I enjoyed very much.

Time Present and Time Past by Deidre Madden is a lovely novel with a writing style that reminded me of Jane Gardam.  (Gardam's Old Filth trilogy--Old Filth, The Man in the Wooden Hat, and Last Friends--was my favorite literary discovery of 2013.)  Madden's book is a quiet novel, not for those who need lots of action or poignant conversation.   It offers a gentle look at family ties over time.  I called my sister after finishing the book. (Side note:  Madden is an award winning Irish author.  Hats off to Europa Editions for bringing her--and Jane Gardam--to my attention.)

On the dust jacket of Liz Carlisle's Lentil Underground, a professor at University of Texas (Raj Patel) calls the book "a page turner".  Not sure I'd go that far but I really enjoyed this look at a group of Montana farmers who decided to buck agribusiness.  I have wholeheartedly recommended it to friends who work in sustainability circles.

I cannot believe that two more books arrived from Archipelago this week!  What a bounty of books! 

• Like 8

I'm really slumming it this week - I read The Angel of the Opera - Sherlock Holmes meets the Phantom - and Goddess of Yesterday, a YA book about the Trojan War. They were both fine, but not earthshattering. I'm kind of in a general life funk at the moment - recovering from the flu, behind in work, unmotivated to work or teach or anything much, really.  Hopefully I will snap out of it soon.  Meanwhile, I'm not wasting too many brain cells on my reading!  Oh well.

• Like 8

Did you ever read Helen Oyeyemi's book, Mr. Fox? You might enjoy that one. It's got fairy tale elements & magical realism, & despite the chilling stuff of fairy tales (Grimm & Perrault style, among others), it's utterly charming too.

That looks goood! Every single one of the author's book have long wait lists at the library, lol. She must be good.  I will put it on my list.

Thanks! And you are right, it does look like something I would enjoy.

• Like 8

I just finished Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.  It was the last book of our co-op year.  And can I just say that we have really enjoyed taking time once a month to sit down and have tea and discuss the books that the girls have picked for us all year.  Back to Treasure Island…I was a little nervous about reading this book.  Classics can be hit or miss.   However, I found it quite enjoyable.  Almost from the start I kept making comparisons to Pirates of the Caribbean lol!  I was ignorant to just how much pirate lore has come from this book.  I am now anxious to rewatch Pirates of the Caribbean!  Though I found some of Jim’s choices immature, I realized that that is usually the case with 13 year old boys.  I sometimes found it hard to follow the dialogue.  Not so much the pirate speech but it seemed as if there were periods and commas in weird places that broke up sentences in the wrong part.  But that could just have been me.  Overall it was quite an ADVENTUROUS BOOK!

Here's my list for the year since I haven't posted it lately...

*01.  As You Wish by Cary Elwes (non fiction, memoir)

*02.  The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami (January Author, BaW rec, Japan)

*03.  The Princess Bride by William Goldman

*04.  Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman (BaW rec)

*05.  Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (England, February Author, reread, classic)

*06.  Archimedes and the Door Science by Jeanne Bendick (biography, Greece)

*07. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (England, classic)

*08.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling (England, reread)

*09.  A Murder for Her Majesty by Beth Hilgartner (England, reread)

*10.  Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers (England)

*11.  As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust  by Alan Bradley (Canada)

*12.  The Dress Shop of Dreams by Menna van Praag (England, BaW rec)

*13.  101 More Devotions for Homeschool Moms by Jackie Wellwood (non-fiction)

*14.  And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (March Author, reread, England)

*15.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling (England, reread)

*16.  Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury (England, reread)

*17.  Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (England/Caribbean, classic)

• Like 9

Is there a website that has a compendium of book reviews? I am always forgetting a book I read a review about in the NYTimes or the London Review of Books or wherever...it would be so wonderful if there was a site like this.

Not one, but many. Check out Arts and Letters Daily.  Scroll down and there's a list on the left side bar of multi national reviewers.

• Like 9

So the last 2 weeks I finished Princep's Fury and First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher.   This series seemed to have a lot of potential in the first books -- but it fell prey to the 'bigger and badder villain's' issue -- where the villains/problems just get bigger and bigger and bigger with each book.

to the point of ridiculousness -- by the end of the series I was really just chugging through to the end to see what the resolution was because the villain was so big and bad there was no possible way the 'hero' could win -- but of course he did. 

• Like 9

I'm really slumming it this week - I read The Angel of the Opera - Sherlock Holmes meets the Phantom - and Goddess of Yesterday, a YA book about the Trojan War. They were both fine, but not earthshattering. I'm kind of in a general life funk at the moment - recovering from the flu, behind in work, unmotivated to work or teach or anything much, really.  Hopefully I will snap out of it soon.  Meanwhile, I'm not wasting too many brain cells on my reading!  Oh well.

:grouphug:

When you finish Persuasion, Jane and I recommend Does Santa Exist?  You can apply a few brain cells to it, or not... As you wishhhhhh.....

• Like 8

:grouphug:

When you finish Persuasion, Jane and I recommend Does Santa Exist?  You can apply a few brain cells to it, or not... As you wishhhhhh.....

I put it on hold when you mentioned it earlier! Just waiting for it to come in from the library.

I've also got The Ocean at the End of the Lane sitting beside my bed, but I was trying not to read that until May.  :toetap05:

• Like 9

I put it on hold when you mentioned it earlier! Just waiting for it to come in from the library.

I've also got The Ocean at the End of the Lane sitting beside my bed, but I was trying not to read that until May.  :toetap05:

How can you hold off on Ocean at the End of the Lane?  Just read it, lol. I think I buzzed through it in a day.

There was also a BBC radio drama of it and that was great, but of course they have taken it down already.  If they make something really good they don't leave it up for very long :thumbdown:  I understand why, I just don't like it

• Like 8

It's sitting on my coffee table, along with Inferno, while I try and finish April's reading to clear the decks. But don't let me keep you! 

• Like 6