Menu

Have you ever used a house sitter???

TheDairyQueen

Long story short- we're needing to find a long-term sitter for our dog. Originally, the plan became to ship him to my in-laws in the Midwest, as he knows them and they have dogs and I know they'll do a good job walking him, etc. (He's a large breed.) BUT-- it will be about $1200 round trip for him to do this, and on top of that, we can't send him if the temps are above 85...and as I live in the desert Southwest...they might not cool down till almost November. (That means, we would be home without him for several months, which is not OK.) I'm also a bit uneasy about how long and stressful that trip would be on my dog, who is slightly neurotic and clingy to begin with.

I couldn't imagine sending him to a kennel for 1-3 months, so the next option is a house sitter.

I've found a website that lists housesitters who will also watch pets, which is kind of a win-win. BUT...I'm not thrilled with just letting a stranger in.

Has anyone ever had a housesitter stay in your place or, do you know someone who has? 

We had a housesitter stay in our house for a month when we had a long vacation.  She was a young single woman.  She wasn't a stranger but we didn't have a close relationship with her.  But we knew her brother very well, and he lived in the same city, so it seemed safe. We had no pets. 

It worked out great.  The worst thing was getting the house clean enough.  Like, those places that are easy (for me, anyway) to neglect - under the sinks and such.  We left copious notes for her and phone numbers for so many people who could help her with unexpected technical problems. (At that time our cellphones wouldn't work overseas so we weren't super accessible.) 

We came back to a sparkling clean house and fresh flowers on the kitchen island.  Oh, and the groceries from the list I'd given her before we left. 

I have never used one, but I've been one. When friends of my parents retired, they decided to take a months-long trip and leave their elderly dog (a setter, sweet old thing) at home. At the time, dh and I were a year or so married and just out of grad school, a very transitional time. The family asked around hoping to find people just like us to stay in their house and take care of the dog while they were away. We did and it was a wonderful arrangement for us, those few months were enough to let me find work and find an apartment in a new town, and they came back to a clean warm house and healthy dog. So, my advice would be to ask around, you might be surprised who you can find.

• Like 1

I also house sat for friends.  I was right out of college, no job yet.  Their dog was too young to have had the right shots to stay at a kennel.  It was great for me.

If you don't want to leave a stranger, ask about recent high school grads or college students that might be home.  That would be someone to stay at your house.

I have hired someone to come to the house 2-3 times a day to walk and play with the dog.  She loves animals and charges by how the long the visit is.  If we only had 2 cats, she would do a 10 minute visit to feed and make sure they had water.  The one cat won't come out for anyone so 10 minutes would be plenty of time.  But with the dog, it takes longer.  She would take the dog on a nice long walk if we wanted her too.  And she would come over as many times as needed.  We found her by the printing on the outside of her vehicle.  THEN we found out that she is the neighbor of a friend of ours.  She did not stay at the house but the pets were well taken care of.

• Like 2

We've used a housesitter, and we've also used a dog care service.  The dog care service comes over 3 times daily (or more), feeds, waters, plays, walks, hangs out - whatever we ask.  They open/close blinds, get mail, water plants, feed our other critters.  The dogs love them.  We found the service when we were desperate - we just asked around for recommendations and then interviewed the owner.  It's been a good experience, and they keep a key to our house now in case we need them on short notice.  I know that's not what you asked exactly, but it's close, so it might help.  :)

These are some good ideas! Our guy is so sweet, and he really makes friends easily (I swear, he'd ride off with our FedEx woman if she'd let him). Where we live, we get lots of summer rain and I wouldn't mind having someone here who could email me if the roof started to leak. 

I definitely feel I might be slightly paranoid about the clean factor before we leave-- like OMG, she might see in this closet or that garage, etc. 

• Like 1

My dd and 2 other students are housesitting this summer. They're all college students staying in the college city for research and were recommended by a professor. I wonder if there's a university in your city who has students looking for inexpensive housing. My dd and the other women are paying utilities, internet, and taking care of a 16 yo cat. They'll each be paying about $130/mo (very inexpensive!), the professor has someone staying in her house and her utilities are covered. Win/win all around!

I would look for a friend that had a dog that would be willing to take the dog personally.  That's what most of my friends with dogs end up doing actually.  There is a huge dog exchange circle in our neighborhood actually.  If it's too long to do an actual exchange, I'd offer the friend money for it.  If you really must have someone stay in your home, a college student (preferably a grad student) with multiple references is a good idea. 

• Like 1

We used a house sitters last summer. She was a friend of DD21's and was delighted to stay in our house for three weeks with cable, unlimited Internet, and a stocked freezer. In return, she took care of our two dogs and our very elderly cat. We paid here about half what it would have taken to board the dogs for three weeks and it worked out great.

I would absolutely do it again.

We used a house sitters last summer. She was a friend of DD21's and was delighted to stay in our house for three weeks with cable, unlimited Internet, and a stocked freezer. In return, she took care of our two dogs and our very elderly cat. We paid here about half what it would have taken to board the dogs for three weeks and it worked out great.

I would absolutely do it again.

This is what I do with our young friend...she is mid 20s and has a dog of her own.  She brings her dog, uses our pool, and feels like a mini vacation even though she has her own place.  I buy her some of her favorite beer, a few frozen pizzas and other junk food...and I tell her she can have her friends over...(friends that I know....no boys/men)...I pay her what I would pay the boarder....roughly.

We had a house sitter once when we were gone for about a month.  He was a young man who we knew who lived out in the country, but his job was in town and we knew he would appreciate the convenience of living in town close to work (otherwise he still lived at home with his parents).  He took care of our house, our yard, and our cat.  We didn't even pay him!  It was a tradeoff.  He was so happy to live rent-free in town, and taking care of our cat was pretty easy work.  I think we left a fridge and cupboards full of food for him.

Just today, my daughter was telling us about a site online where you can get a job house-sitting (or advertise for a house-sitter).  It's an international site, and she was going to be looking for a house-sitting job while teaching abroad next year.  (First year out of college!)  Maybe you can find a site like that?  I don't know if they screen people, or how it works...  It sounded like if you were the person looking for a house-sitter, you could list what jobs would be required, and it could be short-term or long-term.  I assume that could mean taking care of a dog.  (My daughter would LOVE that kind of a house-sitting job!)

If you're interested, I'll try and find the name of the website.

• Like 1

Just today, my daughter was telling us about a site online where you can get a job house-sitting (or advertise for a house-sitter).  It's an international site, and she was going to be looking for a house-sitting job while teaching abroad next year.  (First year out of college!)  Maybe you can find a site like that?  I don't know if they screen people, or how it works...  It sounded like if you were the person looking for a house-sitter, you could list what jobs would be required, and it could be short-term or long-term.  I assume that could mean taking care of a dog.  (My daughter would LOVE that kind of a house-sitting job!)

If you're interested, I'll try and find the name of the website.

I've seen sights similar, and I was definitely interested. Its just that...we're in the desert...in the summer...and most of the people I'm seeing are in Europe or want to "travel." Personally, that would have been the way I go...but this trip we're taking (a temporary relocation overseas) is not yet finalized...but when it does become so, we will probably be leaving very soon after. Not having exact dates yet is what is making it a bit hard...but I guess we could always look for people who are decently open with their time.

My husband and I had my younger sister housesit for us when we spent about 3 weeks in Europe a few years ago.  I found it stressful, to be honest...and she's my SISTER!  Not b/c I didn't trust her, but b/c she was a little immature, I worried that she would forget to turn the oven off or that sort of thing (she didn't), the dog chewed through a lamp cord, etc.  I think I may be a little too compulsive about my home environment, but I did find it stressful.  

She did housesit for us in February for about 5 days when we went on a road trip.  That worked out well--she's more mature, she knows the ropes on managing the dog, and I felt much more comfortable.  

On our next Big Trip we boarded him at the posh B&B kennel (he LOVES it) and we've always done that since then--except for in February.  If I go away for 1-2 nights I will board him at the vet's office, but beyond that, he stays in the lap of doggie luxury. It costs a lot. But I feel much more secure that way.  

I personally would never let a stranger housesit for me.  But everyone has a different comfort level with that sort of thing!

Teachers' assistants in the local public school also might be good place to try.  They're very often young and single, looking to make a little extra money, and have dog-friendly hours.  Most schools have a bulletin board where you can put up such notices.

We usually leave our dog with my parents, but we have one person who stays here on short stints or if my parents come with us.  It works great.

We haven't done it for longer than two weeks. For such a long period of time, I would definitely look in your larger group of friends for a college student, either home for the summer, or one attending a local community college, if that fits with your area.  We have also been clear about our expectations, that they need to be sleeping there each night, and what the pets require for company (in our case, it wasn't much).

We tried it with a young couple, whose parents dh knew from work.  Although they claimed to be good with large dogs, and were fine with him when they visited, we found out later the wife was actually afraid of dogs and had been bitten as a child.  About three weeks into it, they called and said the dog had bitten her and we ended up having to have a different friend pick him up and take him to the kennel anyway (for two months!)

Needless to say, we never tried that again.

I've seen sights similar, and I was definitely interested. Its just that...we're in the desert...in the summer...and most of the people I'm seeing are in Europe or want to "travel." Personally, that would have been the way I go...but this trip we're taking (a temporary relocation overseas) is not yet finalized...but when it does become so, we will probably be leaving very soon after. Not having exact dates yet is what is making it a bit hard...but I guess we could always look for people who are decently open with their time.

Hmmm...  I remember something else we did once.  Another time, we were out of town for a month, and a friend of ours who lives out on a farm offered to take our dog.  Our dog was older and pretty easy to take care of, and it wasn't much of a problem for our friends.  In fact, they enjoyed it.

Do you have any friends who could take your dog for the summer?  If your dog easy to take care of?  Someone with a home out in the country if it's a bigger dog, or even someone in town if it's a smaller one? 

I also know of someone whose mother takes dogs into her home when people go out of town.  She does it short-term and sometimes longer-term.  I have no idea how much something like that costs.  She takes one or two dogs at a time, and if they are good dogs behavior-wise, they become part of the family during that time, with the run of the house.  It seemed like a really nice arrangement.

Of course that would leave your home empty, but perhaps you could get a neighbor to check on it from time to time.

I've never used a house-sitter, but my dh and I house-sat for friends, way back when we were first married.  We attended church with the couple.  They needed someone for 6 weeks, I believe it was.  

I don't know if I would find someone online. I think I would look through church, or through friends.  You could look for a college or grad student, or someone who recently graduated.