Menu

Anemia in pregnancy

blondeviolin

What's the best iron supplement to take? My midwife listed a few: molasses, floradix, and then just some iron pills you can find OTC. It was just a message and now the office is closed. (Of course...)

Also, how long does it take to start noticing a difference? I'm feeling pretty crummy of late...

I took SlowFE which was recommended by my obgyn. It is OTC and easily available. My readings were higher by the next visit, so less than three weeks. I didn't try others.

I have off and on anemia my whole life and anemic both pregnancies. I had to be on iron supplements throughout both pregnancies.

The normal iron supplement is the best. The prenatal vitamin should be enough if u only mild anemia. Also eat dark green veggie and beef. Those also help. I was very anemic when I was preg with my second even with supplement. So u want to keep monitor it. My younger also born amemic until about 1 yo.., so make sure they check ur baby when he/ she is born

My levels were low enough when pregnant that I was told if they did not increase I would not be able to have a home birth.  After trying the regular iron supplements in pill form and still having low iron I tried Floradix.  It worked for me.  I highly recommend it.

Floradix. Drink it in a shot glass followed by a chaser of oj and then rinse your mouth well. It can stain teeth. It will taste oddly good when severely anemic but becomes yuckier as your iron levels increase, ime.

It tasted the same to me all along. I thought it looked gross but tasted fine.

I've used Vitron-C, which is OTC, several times, and it works well for me (Floradix was a little expensive for me, plus not available locally).  No bad side effects.  The first time I started taking it, I noticed a difference within a week.  Can't remember about the other times, but it was pretty quick.

My OB told me to get Ferrous Gluconate not Ferrous sulfate. The gluconate it more readily absorbed and is not as harsh on the stomach. My iron was at 8. It really worked for me

This is the one I use. (I still do as I have anemia issues even not PG). Take 3 per day but check with your doctor on the exact amount to take.

Ditto on the OJ chaser and to avoid calcium within an hour before and after. Also, eggs (iirc) can inhibit iron uptake.

Iron upsets my stomach so I remember taking it about an hour before bed time. It didn't makes feel too nauseated to sleep and my stomach was fine by morning. One pregnancy it was really low so my Rx was for 3x daily. I could never get in all 3 pills. I usually had to skip the lunch one because I was queasy from the early dose.

I'll second the ferrous gluconate - much easier on the stomach. I use Feosol's FG now and no issues with my stomach or with it slowing down my plumbing :)  I've had anemia issues my whole life. My iron was always extremely low with all my pregnancies. I also had the 3x a day with orange juice during all of them. 

I just started taking Floradix recently and am already feeling better. I'd been using blackstrap molasses already, because it had been enough with my other pregnancies, but this time it wasn't doing much. I did recently learn though, that it's best to take iron supplements on an empty stomach and follow with something rich in vitamin C. I wasn't aware of that before, so I'm wondering if that's why the molasses wasn't working properly. Also calcium can inhibit iron absorption, so I guess it's best to make sure your calcium rich foods/supplements are taken at another time of day.