Menu

After the intestinal bug

creekland

When you start eating again after having had a thorough cleansing due to whatever intestinal bug you picked up, what do you start with?

In my past - long ago past as it's been that long - it was rice and chicken bouillon (the cheap stuff for both).  Is that still what's recommended or is there something else that's supposed to be better with more recent nutrition info? 

We use the BRAT --bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast until we feel up to real food.

Hmm, bananas don't sit well with me on an empty stomach when I'm feeling good, so I think I'll skip those.  Apple sauce seems too sweet right now.  Rice and toast might be slightly appealing.

Thanks for the thoughts!  (I'll keep the bananas and apple sauce in mind in case they appeal to hubby - tomorrow.  He has more of a sweet tooth than I do.)

I had an intestinal bug last month. I lived on a box of salted Zesta crackers & plain tea for a few days as I was recovering.

Not based on any studies, but just on what I felt like I could manage to eat & keep down.

Saltines have the most appeal yet... thanks!  We have some of those around, though I've no idea if they are stale as I seldom eat them otherwise.  I guess it will soon be time to find out.

I'm sticking with water otherwise for the time being.  I'll see what my usual Green Tea does tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

I'm currently recovering from my second GI bug in 3 weeks. Previously it had been years since I'd thrown up. Tea, toast, saltines, chicken noodle soup, and applesauce are the only things that sound good. Oh, and Gatorade when I'm in the thick of it.

I hope you feel better soon.

I'm currently recovering from my second GI bug in 3 weeks. Previously it had been years since I'd thrown up. Tea, toast, saltines, chicken noodle soup, and applesauce are the only things that sound good. Oh, and Gatorade when I'm in the thick of it.

I hope you feel better soon.

I'm feeling better bug-wise now, but I sure hope there's no repeat anytime in the next decade or two.

I just had 2 bugs in one month. After each one I made some egg noodles in chicken broth. That and saltines kept me happy. Plain rice. Ginger ale.

It's kind of unnerving to read of people getting more than one of these so soon.   :scared:   There ought to be a limit - of one (at most).

• Like 1

I also follow the BRATTY diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea, and yogurt. The tea tends to be ginger tea, as ginger settles my stomach.

I've also been known to make myself some homemade oral rehydration therapy, on the grounds that if it works for cholera victims then it'll work for me. I make it with rice water if I'm pooping, but don't bother if I'm vomiting.  If you squeeze a little lemon into it it tastes just like lemon gatorade, no joke.

I'm feeling better bug-wise now, but I sure hope there's no repeat anytime in the next decade or two.

It's kind of unnerving to read of people getting more than one of these so soon. :scared: There ought to be a limit - of one (at most).

We had it twice in three weeks too. Seems to be a pattern. The second time was over quicker, though. Still unpleasant.

I try to make myself drink a few ounces of kefir here and there throughout the day.  Then a few crackers (usually graham crackers) if I feel up to it.

One time my brother had a stomach virus and as soon as he felt up to it he ate a large meal and ended up in the ER.  His stomach had pretty much shut down and wasn't ready to digest food yet.  They gave him some meds and it took several days for him to feel normal.  Ever since then I've been pretty big on getting some good probiotics into me if I have tummy troubles.  

For the kids I give them yogurt- usually vanilla as they don't like plain and they definitely don't like kefir. 

I usually do whatever seems like it will be gentle. Sometimes it varies depending on the bug. 

Gatorade - I hate the stuff normally, but it's the only beverage that helps me feel better after and during a stomach bug. And only lemon-lime. 

Baked potato

saltine crackers

toast

broth based soup

miso soup

sometimes rice or plain pasta, usually not

yogurt

applesauce

Hope you're on the mend for good now!

I also follow the BRATTY diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea, and yogurt. The tea tends to be ginger tea, as ginger settles my stomach.

I've also been known to make myself some homemade oral rehydration therapy, on the grounds that if it works for cholera victims then it'll work for me. I make it with rice water if I'm pooping, but don't bother if I'm vomiting.  If you squeeze a little lemon into it it tastes just like lemon gatorade, no joke.

I think I'll try yogurt for breakfast along with green tea.  The saltines last night did ok, so hopefully all will be ok with more.

I try to make myself drink a few ounces of kefir here and there throughout the day.  Then a few crackers (usually graham crackers) if I feel up to it.

One time my brother had a stomach virus and as soon as he felt up to it he ate a large meal and ended up in the ER.  His stomach had pretty much shut down and wasn't ready to digest food yet.  They gave him some meds and it took several days for him to feel normal.  Ever since then I've been pretty big on getting some good probiotics into me if I have tummy troubles.  

For the kids I give them yogurt- usually vanilla as they don't like plain and they definitely don't like kefir. 

I've never had kefir - ever.  I'll have to google to see what it is.

The ER part is a little scary.  By Thursday we have to be ready to eat "harsher" (regular) meals.  We're headed north to watch middle son dance and will be taking him out for BBQ & steak, etc, as we usually do when we visit, not to mention stopping for something quick on the way to get there.  We can probably wait until Friday/Saturday for the larger meals, but... we gotta be off yogurt and rice by then.  Hubby's one day behind me with the bug.  He'll also eat far more than I will when we're there as my appetite isn't there for large meals (period), but his is (generally).

So... thanks for the warning.  I'll have to see if I can either convey it to him or see to it that he works himself up to it as best he can.  I seriously doubt he'll want to skip out or eat less at the "treat" restaurants.  I'm not even sure the threat of a tour of their hospital will be a deterrent.  :glare:   We could end up with a similar story to share afterward.

I usually do whatever seems like it will be gentle. Sometimes it varies depending on the bug. 

Gatorade - I hate the stuff normally, but it's the only beverage that helps me feel better after and during a stomach bug. And only lemon-lime. 

Baked potato

saltine crackers

toast

broth based soup

miso soup

sometimes rice or plain pasta, usually not

yogurt

applesauce

Hope you're on the mend for good now!

Gatorade is another drink I can't stand.  I suppose I never realized just how picky I am until reading things like this (sigh).

I think I'll add toast to the yogurt this morning, but it'd better be ok that it's a whole (multi) grain as we don't keep the white stuff around.  I could do rice and broth instead I suppose.

I'm definitely back to feeling fine (mentally) this morning - just gotta get the gut restarted properly and to be honest, it still doesn't feel like eating anything, but that's more or less normal (for me).  I don't actually get hungry anymore (other cause).  Adding that to what the poor intestinal system just went through and I think it's ready for a 40 day fast!  :lol:

But... I definitely don't care to go from nothing or just saltines to BBQ overnight.

I do a similar thing to the brats diet. Stewed apple, dry carbohydrates like toast or crackers and rice. I can't cope with bananas though the doc recommended them to my dh due to high potassium in them. The most important thing for me is to avoid dairy for a day or two.

I'm getting over a tummy bug right now. All I've wanted for the past 24 hours is rice with chicken broth and lemonade. 

Here we got over it pretty quickly and diet is returning to normal.  This seems to be a common bug hitting our area pretty hard, but at least it ends quickly.

The funny thing this morning came when I went to feed our chickens.  They are used to getting kitchen scraps (celery, spinach, onions, green pepper, grapes, egg shells, etc) but the last couple of days have had nothing but chicken scratch grains.  This morning they wouldn't even peck at the grains.  They just kept crowding their fence and looking at me like I was hoarding the good stuff.   :lol:

I hope you feel completely better soon!  All looks promising for us to enjoy BBQ and steak later this week... not to mention avoiding passing on the bug to another location.  (We'd have cancelled the trip if we were still feeling awful.)

• Like 1

I do a similar thing to the brats diet. Stewed apple, dry carbohydrates like toast or crackers and rice. I can't cope with bananas though the doc recommended them to my dh due to high potassium in them. The most important thing for me is to avoid dairy for a day or two.

The dry carbs and chicken broth worked well for me.  Hubby went with applesauce too, but I can't handle the sweet stuff when I'm not feeling well.  I'm not so fond of sugary things anyway even when well, but apples are normally fine - just not now.

Tonight I'll be trying eggs - mainly because we have about 3 dozen in the fridge and two of us to eat them (plus two cats).  Note chickens in the post above.  We may not be giving them the good stuff, but they're still providing us with food...