Menu

Honesty question

Pamela H in Texas

Can y'all help me out with a question about how much disclosure I need to give (in the future)?

(Skip to bolded song to get to the point)

So as many know, last April, I had weight loss surgery.  My results were pretty good but because of bad choices and stress have slowed significantly (I've lost about 10 pounds since November).  Now I'm in the same boat as "everybody else" needing to lose 25-30 pounds.  I am probably going to miss my one year goal; my PCP was thinking 160 at a year out and since I have less than 3 weeks til that point, it is probably not going to happen.

(NOTE: and thankfully now have lower sugar, lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, MUCH better mobility, sleeping better, more comfortable, altogether  healthier and wouldn't change any of that for the world even if I didn't lose another pound).  

ANYWAY, after I heal from surgery (gallbladder, Tuesday), I am wanting to really get moving.  I had some really scary testing (final rule-out of really bad stuff, like so bad I could have died THIS year, will be in the next few days), and feel like I have a second chance of sorts to get my act together and live like I want to.  So I have three top things I want to do better about and health is one of them.

(My head is singing, "my next thirty years...")

Can I give credit to the program I am using to exercise as I firm up and lose weight?  Can I give credit to my preferred eating habits (assuming I actually manage to do it)?  Do I still need to disclose the weight loss surgery regularly?  

Obviously I'll do new before pics for my new stage of doing things.  

And if I reference things from my ultra-high weight, I'll absolutely mention it (no reason to hide it as it *is* part of my story).  For example, I could see putting three pics showing before gastric sleeve, now, and then (future) me at 138 pounds wearing a size 6 :) Obviously I will discuss the surgery and such when I'm starting with the pre-WLS stuff!  

Part of the reason I'm asking is because I have been touting BeachBody products for a LONG time.  I honestly believe they work if you DO it.  I also am thinking that becoming a coach could help ME do better.  

But I want to be honest.  Again, it is part of my story.  I'm not ashamed.  It won't be hidden.  But when I'm sharing story/pics from now on (not from last April or before on), should I disclose the surgery?

It's a tough question.  Most people don't realize that bariatric surgery is just a tool...and that patients still need to make good choices and exercise for long-term results.   Even then, it's tough.   Some say bariatric surgery basically evens the playing field for those who are morbidly obese.  It gives them a chance for a diet/exercise plan to work when before, it was extremely unlikely.

I think I would probably say something along the lines of, "After my weight loss stalled at ###, BeachBody became even more of an important tool to take me where I wanted to go and to help me keep off the weight I lost."   Or something along those lines.

The further out you are from surgery, say 2-3+, then I think you can pretty much give whatever program/plan you have in place the credit for maintenance and continuing results.  

• Like 4

I think you should always mention the surgery. Because for me, I would feel deceived if I found out later my coach had lost a significant amount of weight one way but only told me half the story when they were encouraging me and giving me suggestions.

• Like 15

hjffkj,  anyone I had a relationship with would definitely know the whole story.

JFE, hubby is doing a weight loss challenge at work.  If they did another one in June and I joined in, could I use my current weight and pictures and just go for it?  Or do I need to disclose WLS also?  

Considering how much I blabber, this is probably a non-issue. LOL

• Like 1

If you did a challenge with your dh in June, I don't see why you would have to say anything about WLS.  Wouldn't it be this scenario:

June 1st, everybody weighs in.  You weigh X lbs.

June 31st, everybody weighs in.  You weigh X minus x lbs.

You did an awesome job in the challenge!

So I don't see how WLS would come into play, except perhaps if someone had WLS *during* the challenge.

• Like 4

Hmm. Well what is the purpose of disclosing the information for the competition? The way I see it is the surgery is a lifelong tool that works with the other things you are doing. So if the info you provide for the competition is used to promote and encourage others to lose I'd mention it. But if it's simply part of the competition I wouldn't feel the need to.

I think it would be disingenuous to leave out the info when trying to promote any health or fitness product. It seems like saying on one hand I had to have this surgery to lose weight but now that I have had it doesn't effect anything. I am absolutely thrilled for you and your improvement in health and weight loss but I think ignoring the surgery as any contributor to those things isn't truthful and that is what it would seem like to me. 

• Like 4

I think it depends on the situation as to how much you disclose. Speaking as a Beachbody coach myself, your brand is your story. People will connect with you based on that. For example, if you have a blog, certainly blog about your WLS, why you made the decision and how it went for you. Of course then the key is to stress is that it's not the solution it's your FIRST step - your next steps are fitness and nutrition. Now if you do a 21 Day Fix challenge for example, and post your before/afters - then give your before stats and your afters for that challenge. Let that sell it itself. If you do a then and now - talk about your WLS and show you new pic. I think you have the opportunity to reach a lot of people who are in the same position and struggling w/ the same questions and issues.

Capt_Uhura

• Like 5

I'd say yes to disclosing the surgery info for BeachBody coaching purposes, but no to disclosing it for the challenge you're doing with your dh.

It is a non-issue for the competition because you already had the surgery and already experienced significant weight loss, so as you said, at this point you are in the same boat as anyone else trying to lose some weight.

But for the BB thing, I think it's important to tell your whole story because you will be posting before and after pictures, but mainly because you will be such an inspiration to others. I think mentioning the surgery will be a huge positive.

• Like 1

I'd say yes to disclosing the surgery info for BeachBody coaching purposes, but no to disclosing it for the challenge you're doing with your dh.

It is a non-issue for the competition because you already had the surgery and already experienced significant weight loss, so as you said, at this point you are in the same boat as anyone else trying to lose some weight.

But for the BB thing, I think it's important to tell your whole story because you will be posting before and after pictures, but mainly because you will be such an inspiration to others. I think mentioning the surgery will be a huge positive.

:iagree: This is what I'd do.  For coaching I'd definitely talk about the surgery then explain how you plateaued, just could not lose those last XX lbs. and how the particular product shifted/launched your weight loss into high gear. 

• Like 2

:iagree: This is what I'd do.  For coaching I'd definitely talk about the surgery then explain how you plateaued, just could lose those last XX lbs. and how the particular product shifted/launched your weight loss into high gear. 

Out of quotes but I agree.

People deserve the truth and using BeachBody as a way to change your habits after weight loss surgery does not mean it's not the real thing. It means that is the thing that allowed you to take advantage of the surgery as a kick start. Surgery doesn't work without a change in habits. Telling the story of how you knew you had to change and this is how can be very inspiring to people. If anyone gives you flack, blow them raspberries through the screen.

• Like 2

I don't think it's anybody's business how you arrived at your current body. However, in conjunction with that, if a person wants their privacy, I think they should let private things be private. There is no reason to "compete" in a weight loss scenario (really? is that a thing?) and if someone asks you specifically how you lost weight, your best answer is as vague as possible: such as, "Hard work, lots of veggies and a long time. How 'bout those (sports team)?"

Putting your body, your weight, your surgical history, your daily eating habits, your motives, your story/brand, etc "out there" for the general public is a tremendous amount of over-disclosure. It seems to me that it almost borders on an eating disorder. You don't need to sell anything. You don't need to coach anyone. Tying your body-and-story to a marketing campaign for a home business seems insane. Does your weight really need to be even more important to you than it already is? What happens if things aren't ideal-for-after-photos for a while? Do you loose self-respect and loose business/coaching success all in one kit-and-caboodle? You are clearly a smart lady who has lots of talents and interests... My personal advice: let those be important. Don't drag weight issues into every corner of your life.

I appreciate when people disclose it, for two reasons.

One, I lost weight without it, and everyone just assumes (rather rudely, sometimes) that I am lying if I state I only used diet to lose immense weight. I think bariatric surgery is wonderful for those who are good candidates but it really chaps my hide that any large weight loss must be surgery to so many people. Making the distinction is helpful to both parties in representing themselves to others, if details are being shared.

(And oftentimes details aren't needed, when in doubt I say you should always say less!)

Two, so many people struggle with how to lose weight. Knowing you had surgery, and a great outcome, can help them with their own decision. I think it de-stigmatizes bariatric surgery and also helps people feel less 'alone' in their choice, when they know others have had it and successfully maintained.

Those are just my thoughts, for what little they are worth :)

It's a tough question. Most people don't realize that bariatric surgery is just a tool...and that patients still need to make good choices and exercise for long-term results. Even then, it's tough. Some say bariatric surgery basically evens the playing field for those who are morbidly obese. It gives them a chance for a diet/exercise plan to work when before, it was extremely unlikely.

I think I would probably say something along the lines of, "After my weight loss stalled at ###, BeachBody became even more of an important tool to take me where I wanted to go and to help me keep off the weight I lost." Or something along those lines.

The further out you are from surgery, say 2-3+, then I think you can pretty much give whatever program/plan you have in place the credit for maintenance and continuing results.

This is perfect.

The surgery impacts your stomach size and absorption for life, and even more so gives you the advantage of less gut hormone response, so I don't think you are ever in the "same boat" as everyone else.  That said, I think disclosure is completely up to you.  Would I be frustrated if I found out someone in my weight loss challenge had weight loss surgery and didn't disclose it?  Honestly, yes, I would be.  Should you care? Not necessarily. ;)

I agree with Arctic Mama.  I lost weight without it and have similar feelings.  It's very frustrating when people assume that's the only way to go about it.

You've done amazing things so far and I'm glad that WLS has had such a positive impact for you!

• Like 1