Menu

Sardines, anyone?

Laurie4b

I eat sardines a couple times per week because they are a good source of Omega 3s, and pretty low on the food chain, so unlikely to have mercury contamination and because they are inexpensive. (I can't afford salmon a couple times per week!)

I don't love them. I tolerate them. I usually eat them with a modest amount of pasta, tomato-based pasta sauce, and red pepper flakes. This is okay, but I am looking for other ideas to try. Do you have a way of serving sardines that you like?

• Like 1

I eat them on spinach or arugula salads, with hard boiled egg, veggies and maybe a few walnuts. Yum!

Or do like the Danes and eat them on open faced sandwiches. Toast some really great, crusty bread, add some mustard and sardines or herring, a bit of avocado perhaps and a dash of cracked pepper...

Planning tomorrow's lunch! :)

• Like 2

My father adores sardines.  He eats them daily for breakfast on toast, with peanut butter.  (I find this completely revolting.)

More power to him!   I'm with you, though.  :svengo: Just out of curiousity, I may have to try a wee bit with peanut butter...

I eat them on spinach or arugula salads, with hard boiled egg, veggies and maybe a few walnuts. Yum!

Or do like the Danes and eat them on open faced sandwiches. Toast some really great, crusty bread, add some mustard and sardines or herring, a bit of avocado perhaps and a dash of cracked pepper...

Planning tomorrow's lunch! :)

So kind of like anchovies, only not salty, on the salad. I will try that.

I would never have thought to add avocado to them. It's one of my favorite foods, so that will be a definite new way to try them!

• Like 1

I big puffy heart sardines and eat them almost every day for lunch. The brand makes a difference. I like Seasons brand totally plain, and King Oscar brand with lots of yellow mustard. The King Oscar Mediterranean variety are good plain or with crackers.

Alton brown has some recipes for sprats, a version of sardines. He puts them on toast, maybe?

I eat them often for lunch but I am not creative.  I buy boneless and skinless sardines in water (I have been told this is the most boring version of sardines) and I mash them up with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Then I put the mashed up sardines on whole romaine lettuce leaves and sort of make a little packet/roll up of them.

• Like 5

I'm not a fan of sardines, but I have a funny sardine story to share. 

A friend of mine was part of a group of men who were quickly pulling together a missions trip to take supplies and help to people in a foreign country where some natural disaster had occurred. One guy volunteered to get a supply of food for the men to eat on the trip. Once they had all of the supplies on board and were airborne, the guy proudly broke out the food: bunches and bunches of cans of sardines. As the OP said, they were cheap, relatively nutritious, and they traveled well. He was very surprised that the other guys weren't thrilled with his choice.

• Like 1

I eat sardines a couple times per week because they are a good source of Omega 3s, and pretty low on the food chain, so unlikely to have mercury contamination and because they are inexpensive. (I can't afford salmon a couple times per week!)

I don't love them. I tolerate them. I usually eat them with a modest amount of pasta, tomato-based pasta sauce, and red pepper flakes. This is okay, but I am looking for other ideas to try. Do you have a way of serving sardines that you like?

I have been thinking I should these too, because they are so healthy. I have a couple of cans in the back of the cupboard, from Trader Joe's, I think.

I am a little scared to open the cans. What will I find? Have the heads have been taken off? Are there parts you should not eat? Is there such as thing as a fresh sardine, or only canned?

I am a little scared to open the cans. What will I find? Have the heads have been taken off? Are there parts you should not eat? Is there such as thing as a fresh sardine, or only canned?

Headless. Tails usually still on.

Sardines come in different sizes. Nordic-caught are best in my opinion, smaller and more delicate than Moroccan, etc. Eat 'em whole, or mash as per recipes above. All parts are edible.

Skinless and boneless are available, but a lot of the nutrients are in the bones (calcium) and skins (the good fats) so you have to decide about that. 

Available in a dizzying array of varieties: packed in water, packed in oil, packed in mustard, packed in tomato sauce, etc.

Also, double-layer, single-layer, cross-packed, which just seems related to size and type of the fishy, not the actual flavor.

PROTIP: Treat sardine cans and lids and boxes like poopy diapers: they go in the outside trash as soon as possible, because they are pungent. I usually do the trash run before I even eat. And scrub down any surfaces that they touch (plates, sinks, counters), because fish-infused oil (etc) smell lingers.

I've never seen a fresh sardine at a fishmonger, but I think that's because they are almost always wild-caught instead of farm-raised, so they go straight to the cannery from the ship instead of fish farm to fridge truck to fish counter at the supermarket.

Kubiac is bang on - fresh sardines aren't usually sold, they start to spoil within hours of being caught. Canning them is much more economical.

If you've never tried sardines before and you want to, don't buy sardines in water.  That's disgusting.   Buy the ones packed in extra virgin olive oil.   I've tried a bunch of different ones but I always go back to the King Oscar brand.     Also if you get a chance, try Bar Harbor brand.  which is exceptional except that they are boneless and skinless.

• Like 2

We made a salad in class where we smashed sardines and avocados together and served on a green salad with lots of fennel and green onions and it was surprisingly good. I did not think the two smashed together were going to be appealing.

There was probably a lemon juice and oil dressing drizzled on too.

• Like 1

We buy the good ones that are in olive oil and just eat them on Wheat Thins or Triscuits. It's one of our regular go-to weekday lunches. 

I've also occasionally dumped a can on top of a salad (again though, must be in good olive oil) and added a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to make a dressing. 

Dh's Norwegian great, great grandfather (or something like that) received a medal from the king of Norway for inventing key-rolled canned sardines.

ETA: OK, then. Turns out this is not true, though it's what the family has always said. He actually invented a couple of kinds of smoked sardines, though nothing came of it because he never really marketed them. Guess the king (Oscar II?) thought they were worth a medal, at least.