Menu

Low-carb, low- to no-prep breakfast foods for traveling

ILiveInFlipFlops

We'll be taking a trip soon, and I really don't want to fall off my diet because I've been doing really well. We'll be staying at a hotel with a bare bones free breakfast, but of course most of the options won't work well for me. I'm trying to think of some foods I can keep in our hotel room that won't require cooking or much prep. We will have a little refrigerator, thankfully. So far all I've come up with are hard-boiled eggs (not my favorite) and lunch meat roll-ups (which I suspect I'll be relying on for lunches already).

I can't have gluten or oats. I can have dairy. I'm sure there's a huge range of foods I'm not thinking of, but with my brain already full of other stuff I need to do before we leave, I'm not coming up with anything else! If anyone else can lend their creativity, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I make "egg muffins" in big batches them warm them up in the morning. Super easy, very fast.

Put diced ham or bacon in a muffin tin, pour in the scrambled egg, spoon full of salsa top with cheese. Bake till eggs are set.

My family loves these. You could bring along a ziplock bag full.

Have a great trip!!

• Like 2

If there's a mug and a microwave, you could make a scrambled egg.  (There's a chance that the hotel breakfast includes scrambled eggs - you can usually tell from the website.)  For that matter, if there's a microwave, you could buy/bring pre-cooked sausage links and heat them up.  If there isn't a microwave in the room,  maybe there will be one in the breakfast area.

I will typically load up on heavy cream in my coffee if it's available (you could get a pint and keep it in the mini-fridge) and/or I try to buy my Kerrygold unsalted at a natural food store and then have an un-whipped BPC.

Plain greek yogurt with some fresh fruit and almonds added in.

Make ahead your favorite breakfast scramble, put in individual serving tupperwares, and freeze. Stick them in your cooler. Pull one out each morning--generally you'll find a microwave either in your room or in the free breakfast area.

A good nut mix for munching in the car.

• Like 1

When I'm in a situation with almost no options I sometimes buy a box of those Atkin's bars.  I figure it's something to help me not go and order a pizza or devour a bag of chips.

You could also search for low carb flax muffins or bread.  There are a ton of low carb recipes for that.  If you want I'll post my favorite (I'll have to type it out).  I bake them in a muffin top pan because I like the shape.  They hold up well for a few days in an airtight container. 

In that situation I would just go with a bar for breakfast. I like Luna Protein bars and the Think Thin bars. All Think Thin are gluten free and I know some, if not all, of the Luna Protein bars are gluten free.

Another option is portioning out some almonds and having that for breakfast. However, 23 almonds is an ounce, and at least for me, that isn't much.lol.

One of my favorite quick, filling breakfasts is yogurt with salted peanuts mixed in.  It's just such a yummy combination.  I also like a type of thin corn-flour cracker I can get, with a thin slice of cheese and a slice of avocado on top.  Makes me hungry just thinking about it.  :)

I'd make a crustless quiche and reheat it in the microwave at the hotel. If there's not one in your room there is usually one where they serve breakfast.  I've also been known to scramble one egg and cook it flat, then layer in a ziploc bag. When it's time to eat, I fill it with meat, cheese, veg, or whatever. If the hotel serves bacon or sausage you could fill your eggs with that.  I use it as kind of a tortilla. 

I make almond flour biscuits or zucchini/almond flour muffins to take with me when traveling.  They will both last at least a week if kept in a fridge.  The egg muffins mentioned by purplejackmama are great too.  

Check out http://www.kalynskitchen.comfor many low carb ideas.  Here is a recipe for egg muffins from that site http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html.