Menu

Tuna fish

Night Elf

Good. I would love to add fish to my diet but I'm afraid to cook it. I'll either end up with undercooked or overcooked. I can't find that happy medium. My mom wants me to buy salmon and give that a try. I'm trying to work up the courage. But tuna fish I really like. I put very little mayo in really. I don't like too much mayo. Yuck.

Good. I would love to add fish to my diet but I'm afraid to cook it. I'll either end up with undercooked or overcooked. I can't find that happy medium. My mom wants me to buy salmon and give that a try. I'm trying to work up the courage. But tuna fish I really like. I put very little mayo in really. I don't like too much mayo. Yuck.

Try something like tilapia.  I promise, you cannot kill tilapia!  Salmon is trickier.  If it's overcooked, it's very dry.  Although you could even have something like canned salmon. 

• Like 1

Try something like tilapia.  I promise, you cannot kill tilapia!  Salmon is trickier.  If it's overcooked, it's very dry.  Although you could even have something like canned salmon. 

Salmon patties was a staple growing up. I have no idea how my mom made them, but I know she used canned salmon. Is it usually served like tuna fish, like with a little mayo or in a salad?

Actually, I find salmon the easiest fish to cook because it changes color as it cooks. In white fish the change is much more subtle, more of a translucent to opaque. Salmon changes from bright pink/red to a lighter color.

I know some folks like their fish rare, so you have to get it off the heat sooner. I like mine cooked through and neither dry nor raw in the middle.

Salmon patties was a staple growing up. I have no idea how my mom made them, but I know she used canned salmon. Is it usually served like tuna fish, like with a little mayo or in a salad?

Salmon patties are made more like meat loaf/crab cake type things.  You mix it with breadcrumbs, onions, etc. and fry them up.  I've also made them with mashed potatoes as the binder.

Have you tried the canned tuna in olive oil?   It keeps its flavor without being oily like the stuff in vegetable oil.  

I read that early in the canned food industry salmon had a lock on the canned fish market.  Then one company started to advertise their canned tuna with "guaranteed to not turn pink in the can".  People didn't know that salmon was pink, since they couldn't get fresh.  So, they went Ick and switched to tuna.  

you can absolutely serve canned salmon in the same way you eat tuna for something different. Be warned that canned salmon has bones in it. They crumble to nothing when you mush up the salmon and you will never notice them. But it is surprising. But that is considered an added health benefit of canned salmon. It is very high in calcium. But, I often have salmon salad on romaine lettuce leaves for lunch.

I eat a lot of fish. I either broil it or I cook it in the microwave. I buy those bags of frozen fillets and thaw one for my dinner. I steam some broccoli in the microwave while the fish is broiling. I squeeze on some lemon juice, or a salad dressing I like, and dinner is done in 7 mins.  It really could not be easier. I buy tilapia, cod, haddock, and salmon. I don't buy much salmon b/c the farm raised isn't that good for me or the environment.

Actually, the fish I eat the most often is sardines, bonless and skinless, packed in water.

Try something like tilapia. I promise, you cannot kill tilapia! Salmon is trickier. If it's overcooked, it's very dry. Although you could even have something like canned salmon.

Uh, except Tilapia is all farm raised (although so is much Salmon) and is one of the most nutritionally lacking of all fish sources. The recommendations to eat fish stem, in large measure, from the need to have a source of vital Omega 3 (that grass-fed meat has, but grain fed meat lacks).

Tilapia is just another industrial grain-fed food source that lacks balanced nutrition.

Bill

• Like 3

I would think canned fish does (there's also canned salmon.)

I had to stop feeding ds tuna.  it contains mercury - and he doesn't metabolize it very well.  (his mercury level was quite high.  the equivalent of swallowing a mercury thermometer.  HFCS also contains mercury.)

Uh, except Tilapia is all farm raised (although so is much Salmon) and is one of the most nutritionally lacking of all fish sources. The recommendations to eat fish stem, in large measure, from the need to have a source of vital Omega 3 (that grass-fed meat has, but grain fed meat lacks).

Tilapia is just another industrial grain-fed food source that lacks balanced nutrition.

Bill

friends don't let friends eat farm raised salmon.  ;p  (blech!)

eta: farm raised salmon doesn't contain the beneficial omegas that wild salmon contain.  due to both diet and temperature of the water they live in.  I wouldn't eat it because I think it tastes gross.  and I adore salmon . . . . especially fresh copper river sockeye . . ..

• Like 1

you can absolutely serve canned salmon in the same way you eat tuna for something different. Be warned that canned salmon has bones in it.

Not all canned salmon has bones. I buy canned tuna (Costco) in cans the same size as tuna and it has no bones.

When you look at the grocery store there usually is red salmon and pink salmon. Whichever one is more expensive usually doesn't have bones. ( red I think)

I have an amazing salmon loaf recipe if you are interested.

I always think of fresh fish as a fish serving but if you don't drown the tuna in mayo I think it could count.

I think it would count, even if you do drown it in mayo. Of course, you are getting all the fat and calories of the mayo, but it doesn't change it from being a serving of fish. Just as if you had a grilled fresh fish fillet and put tartar sauce on it. It's still fish. Just not as healthy.

You can pick up smoked salmon at most any grocery store.  No cooking necessary, just eat it on a salad or sandwich etc.  They also sell salmon in the same foil  packages that tuna comes in.  A lot of grocery stores sell precooked foods like fish or even salmon; again no cooking necessary.  

I find BBQing fish the easiest way to cook it at home and there is no inside fish smell to worry with.