Menu

What grade do you require all written work in cursive? sm

Allison TX

My ds is in 4th grade. We have been working on cursive for a long time, but he still can't seem to do more than copy sentences. Is this normal?

He says it is easier for him to print. Is learning to write cursive necessary? I know it helps with writing speed, but are there any other reasons? Does anyone let their dc choose whether to write in cursive or print after learning both?

Allison

Hmm ... good question. I'll be glad to hear what others say. Based on my experience homeschooling my children (still little boys) coupled with the fact that I was homeschooled all the way through, if it were me I do not think I would push the cursive handwriting, particularly since working with a boy.

I would still consider it a goal, however. I would want my children to all be proficient, ultimately, in cursive. I would simply set it aside for a little while (try a month, or more if needed) and bring it back up later. This is likely to save you both loads of frustration!

Often, timing is the key, and children are all so different. Boys mature slowly compared to girls with the writing, although I have seen some children, boys, who were amazing with cursive at this age. I just thought of it as a gift when they were. With my boys, who are smaller than your student, we have tended towards typing and minimum copywork, workbooks, while they are still developing their bodies and skills. If they can't write in cursive seamlessly until highschool, I don't know that this is a problem.

Hope that help! I'll keep an eye out to see what others say too, and probably learn something new myself!

5th/6th depending on the child.

My dd (in 4th last year) did most of her work in cursive, but sometimes forgot and did printing. I really didn't care since she does both neatly and I figured it was a good "transitional year".

This year I'll be expecting all in cursive though. If she forgets, whoops - do over! LOL

I remember learning cursive in 3rd grade and being required to write everything in cursive in 4th grade. I have no idea what the standard was or is. My intention was to have DS writing everything in cursive by 4th grade. It didn't really happen. Then I thought we'd be doing well if everything was in cursive by 5th grade. He still needs to be reminded, but I did enforce it this past year and required re-copying if he forgot. Now that he's going into 6th grade I really, REALLY think he ought to be able to remember to write NEATLY in cursive all the time. But I think it will still take some reminding from time to time.

I do have at least one hs friend who is not teaching her children cursive. She makes a good case, but to me, cursive is how adults write. Furthermore, everyone ought to have a nice signature for signing formal documents, in cursive. And everyone ought to be able to read cursive writing without having to sheepishly explain that he doesn't read cursive.

I have never required it, only that they know how to read and write cursive.
Me too.Me three. :)

dd11 often prefers to print - and that's fine by me. She knows how to write, how to form all the letters and attach them and whatnot...I figure, it's now her choice.

My own 'writing' is a mix of cursive and print and letters with peculiar designs and weird little tails... :tongue_smilie:

Never. As long as mine can read it, that is all that matters to me. Although my oldest has chosen to use cursive on her own. I don't use cursive myself, because my cursive was always ugly, and my printing is quite nice.

:iagree: Same here. I prefer printing and can do it quicker than cursive.

Boy, that is so funny, because we had this discussion at Play Day today. I admitted that for my last child, we were not doing a "Penmanship" book. My others did fine, but my oldest, a 15 yr old ds, writes all his things in print. It is very legible, but he has always done this. He has his own signature for the SS card and passport, but everything he is required to write is written in print.

You know, once they get to high school or earlier, they type all their papers so I don't see the big deal any more with penmanship, as long as you can read it.

Maybe, I am being silly.

Just my $.02

ReneeR

I started requiring all *final*drafts* of *writing* assignments be done in cursive in 4th grade. Now, in fifth, I sometimes remind him to use cursive in short answer questions, etc, but I don't demand it, you know?

This may sound like a wacky suggestion, but ds has worked through the first couple of Spencerian workbooks from Mott Media. The first book especially just works on stroke consistency and some individual letters. A couple of the letters are very frilly, and ds doesn't use them outside the workbooks, lol, but his plainer every day cursive is *noticeably* more attractive, consistent, legible, and *easier* for him since working through these. Even if you just do the first book for the amount of practice it provides, it might be worth doing. ... I know most people'll think I'm crazy. ;) But I'm a fan.

I have never required it, only that they know how to read and write cursive.

same here.

I never learnt cursive. when I was at school everyone printed. there was one girl who came from a different school who had beautiful copperplate cursive. she got told off by the teacher and told to print.

In high school children who wrote their work got less marks than the children who typed it on the computer.

I make my children do penmanship so they can learn how to read it.

they print everything, and the older ones are starting to type their work out on the computer.

We require everything to be written in cursive starting in 3rd grade. This is the expectation, mind you, not necessarily what the child always does or enjoys. It takes couple of years for them to really feel comfortable doing this and I'm ok with that. If they forget to write in cursive or don't form their letters to the best of their ability then recopying is required.

The reason I do this, however, is more important than the cursive writing itself as it serves as my motivation to set these somewhat high standards. Besides the many practical benefits already mentioned in previous posts I believe that cursive it simply more beautiful, even when the letters aren't formed that well. Cursive, by its very nature, is more artful and appealing. I do a lot of copy work and progymnasmata exercises along with my children and students and I find that I think differently when I write cursive versus printing. I take more pleasure in making it beautiful so I enjoy thinking about what I'm writing even more. This may sound sentimental (and it probably is) but, well, it helps me write better. I'm also more apt to make my cursive look better than my printing because, with work, the result will be more artful and appealing. I want my children to also be captivated by cursive's beauty.

Beauty is one of the reasons that I'm educating my children.

My 5th grader is doing her first "formal" cursive workbook. She'd done bits and pieces over the years but that's it. She's learning it now because she wants to. My 3rd grader is struggles with handwriting, and he's still learning to print neatly. I don't know when he'll start cursive.

I don't require cursive for their assignments. To me, even the neatest cursive handwriting is harder to read than printing. I never understood why we had to learn it. I don't buy that it's faster to write that way...there's so many extra loops and lines. The only reason I'm teaching it to my kids is so they can read their great-grandma's birthday cards. :lol:

Never. As long as mine can read it, that is all that matters to me. Although my oldest has chosen to use cursive on her own. I don't use cursive myself, because my cursive was always ugly, and my printing is quite nice.

:iagree:

I hate writing in cursive myself and find it much more laborious than printing. I did teach my kids to write in cursive and try to assign them regular copywork assignments that have to be completed in cursive just so they don't forget it totally. For the rest of their schoolwork, they can write however they want to just so long as I can read it, and both of them usually choose to print.

Compositions and certain other assignments I expect to be typed. I frankly consider typing a more crucial skill than cursive writing, so teaching them to type was a big priority for me. We covered that last year (4th) and this year, I expect them to type all of their IEW assignments along with book summaries, biographies, etc. It makes the editing process much more pleasant for them and the grading process much more pleasant for me.

Best,

SBP

Is learning to write cursive necessary?

I don't think so. The only time I ever used cursive was when I was required to in school. In the computer age, cursive has become obsolete, and I am not nostalgic enough for it as an art form that I feel it's something I need to preserve in my own kids. If they want to learn it, I'll help them, but to me there are far more valuable things to spend our time learning.

Tara