Menu

I'm in search of the perfect tank top. Update in OP...

three4me

Do you have a tank top you love and stock up on every summer? I think I'm ready for a mommy wardrobe and this summer is going to be jeans or jean shorts and tank tops, with a zip up sweater if I need it.

Right now I have one that I love, but it's actually a maternity tank top. 😳 Probably shouldn't buy any more since the baby will be one in June. But I think what I really love about it is that the straps are wide enough to cover my bra straps, and it also has a tiny bit of spandex in it. Also the neckline isn't too high or two low.

So, any recommendations? Thanks!

Update:

OK, so I went to the mall yesterday. Unfortunately they don't have jc Penney there. But I was able to try Lands End tanks. The fit was OK, not great, but I didn't really like the color options anyway. I also went to Eddie Bauer, but they didn't have the tanks in stock. Um, hello, this is San Diego and it's always summer here! I also looked and failed at gap,old navy and express. So last night I ordered a couple to try from Duluth Trading. And next time I'm at the other mall I'll check out the ones at Penny's. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

• Like 1

My ILs just shared a catalog with me from Duluth Trading Company.  Next pay period I plan to order from them, because they claim their shirts (including women's!) have armpit gussets and back pleating to allow greater range of movement -- my biggest pet peeve about women's clothing.  They also claim to have longer tails on all of their shirts, and some tanks I saw in the catalog looked nice and comfy, too (wide straps and all).  They also have elbow-length sleeved t-shirts, and I'm drooling over a bunch of other stuff (Armachillo looks tempting).  I can't say from direct experience how their stuff is and it does cost a bit, but my ILs love the stuff they have gotten so far.  www.duluthtrading.com

• Like 2

I just bought several at Penney's - a couple are the JCP ones and the rest are St. John's Bay and they are great. I also have a bunch of White Stag tanks that I got at Walmart that have lasted through two summers and repeated washing and still look great. They also cover bra straps. 

How is the thickness?

I love the shape of H&M basic tanks and I wear one almost every day in the winter under other tops but they're not thick enough to wear on their own.

How is the thickness?

I love the shape of H&M basic tanks and I wear one almost every day in the winter under other tops but they're not thick enough to wear on their own.

Yes! That's another problem with most tank tops. I want ones that won't be see through without having to layer them.

How is the thickness?

Thickness is good. I don't always layer these. I would be certain to wear a nude bra with the white but the other colors, I wear them single layered with no issue.

Thickness is good. I don't always layer these. I would be certain to wear a nude bra with the white but the other colors, I wear them single layered with no issue.

I don't wear mine single-layered, but that's because there's more of me than I care to subject the world to. :D  I usually wear mine under another, loose tank top.

As somebody else mentioned upthread, I also wear these year round under my long-sleeved shirts and sweatshirts in the winter.  Heck, I've even worn them under my nightshirt to sleep in when I was particularly cold.

I have yet to find the perfect tank.

I am a 38C, so usually have to order an extra large.  Extra larges always seem to go too low under the arms or are too low cut in the front.  I like it to be a *little* bit fitted.  Either they are too fitted making other people say, "hello breasts!" or too baggy and look frumpy.  

Anybody of these seem to match those parameters?

Following this because I'm always in search of LONG tanks.  The four females that live in this house are tall and curvy, and the typical tank top barely reaches past the top of our pants.  

I do like the tunic tanks that Target have occasionally (in fact they have them right now).  They don't sell them all the time though.  

• Like 1

Following this because I'm always in search of LONG tanks.  The four females that live in this house are tall and curvy, and the typical tank top barely reaches past the top of our pants.  

I do like the tunic tanks that Target have occasionally (in fact they have them right now).  They don't sell them all the time though.  

The JCP ones seem long to me.  I am moderately tall (5'7) and those tanks are plenty long enough.  They're even a bit stretchy, so I can pull them down to my booty. :D