Menu

What are you using for 2nd grade grammar?

hsing1

I keep seeing in the standards that my ds should be learning parts of speech, (nouns, verbs, subject, etc.) in 2nd grade.

I'm using Abeka Language 2 and Abeka Letters and Sounds 2 but it doesn't cover any of that. I saw a copy of Abeka Language 3 and it starts this stuff about 3/4 of the way through 3rd. So I'm concerned that when annual testing comes around my ds will be lost. What are you usings (or did you use) for 2nd grade grammar?

Thanks!

How many parts of speech?

Just nouns and verbs?

or adverbs and adjectives, too? Surely not te whole kit and kaboodle?!

You can cover it fairly quickly if you are worried about it.

We used FLL (Lessons 100-200 are Grade 2). It might be handy to add it on--just do about 5 or 6 of the lessons on each one--don't bother with the poetry, the dictation, the chanting (though the list of prepositions would be helpful. It's a pretty abstract concept for 7 year olds).

You could take that approach just to familiarize her with it--and then cover it in more depth when your program gets there.

Bu, if you don't mind my asking, you live somewhere where you have mandatory testing of kids in Grade 2?

That seems absurd to me.

Hi,

We just started Rod & Staff English 2 today. It starts with What is a Sentence, and goes on to parts of speech from there. I can't really give a review because we just started, but my other ds did the third grade Rod & Staff English last year and we were quite happy with it.

Hope this helps a little! :001_smile:

Stacey

Kiss Grammar has workbooks starting in 2nd grade. Find the Kiss Grammar Workbooks link and scroll down to Section 2. The Word document next to Grade 2, Main Book, is what you'll need. You can also find the stories that it is based on at the site. My dd is in grade 3 this year (starting in Jan) and we are doing the grade 2 book at the moment.

We're really in first grade, but working ahead a little. I've just begun using Easy Grammar Grade 2 (along with Sonlight's LA2) and so far it is perfect for us. Very gentle, short, spiraling lessons that we do orally and with a whiteboard. My son loves it and sometimes asks to keep doing more. It covers parts of speech, capitalization, punctuation and sentence construction.

I'm using first language lessons with my second grader. I think we're not doing it completely enough, but it's a process. I also just purchased gumdrops for 3rd grade from rainbow resource, but that seems pretty advanced. I'll introduce it and if needed, we'll work on it together at first. Funny thing is dd went to catholic school for first grade and told me she wanted a workbook like she had last year. She's getting used to first language lessons now that I've heeded advice and just skipped to second grade. I'll check out those books at the bookstore as well...maybe that's what she'd enjoy for a supplement.

Hello!

I was glad to see several of the women mention Rod and Staff English 2. This is the spine of our grammar, and was mine too growing up. I always scored extremely well in testing, went on to have an award-winning column, and now my children are also doing great with it too!

R&S 2 begins by encouraging the children with the value of words as being created by God, and moves on to ultimately cover nouns and pronouns, adjectives, etc. If it becomes too much writing, one thing we have done is to read through the lessons and talk over them, then type the review. This left some time for other related things but never hurt their understanding.

One thing we have also done is to back up the English with a good intergrated Latin program, such as Prima Latina. Another program, if you have a child interested as I do in writing and Aesop, is Classical Writing, which covers the parts of speech in a gentle fashion as well! These are just a few that I suggest.

Hope this helps!

I checked some books out from the library by Brian Cleary - There is one on nouns, one on verb, etc. They are funny and a cute way to reinforce the parts of speech. I am also starting Lively Latin which does a good job of covering English grammar. We will be using the WWE book 2 when it comes out, but until then we are using Just Write 2. Both of these actually discuss grammar as part of the writing. And just because I am a little weird, the handwriting book we are using also covers parts of speech, simple grammar and basic punctuation.

For second grade, I am really focusing on writing so we are approaching grammar as integrated into other subjects.

We won't do a formal grammar curriculum until next year.

Hello!

R&S 2 begins by encouraging the children with the value of words as being created by God, and moves on to ultimately cover nouns and pronouns, adjectives, etc. If it becomes too much writing, one thing we have done is to read through the lessons and talk over them, then type the review. This left some time for other related things but never hurt their understanding.

I cover the page in the book with a cut sheet protector and use an ultra-fine dry-erase marker instead of having my ds write out the exercises. We'd NEVER do anything if he had to write it all at this point.

I would agree that for some children, 2nd grade may be too early to worry about grammar. However, I have used FLL 1/2 for my first 3 children very successfully. They perform wonderfully on the IOWA test in grammar. I think FLL gives a great foundation. I followed that up with Rod and Staff, but we still lean on what the kids memorized in FLL. I also think FLL could be used successfully by starting it a little later.

My son is in third grade this year but last year we used Write Source for 2nd Grade (Write Away). We ended up doing half of the book last year, and we're continuing it this year. I didn't do a whole lot of written work with him because struggles with handwriting (he's in occupational therapy for this) so we've done a lot of things verbally. I would have liked to have used FFL with him (I used it for 1st and 2nd grade for my daughter) but it just didn't work for him. This year he's "taken" to grammar a lot more than he did last year, so maybe he just wasn't ready for it then. I like Write Source because they cover a lot of the same topics over again so it's not a huge deal if you're using a grade down (like we are).

We did FLL for K5 and first, but it is targeted to first and second graders. It covers parts of speech. Dd learned the definition of a noun and how to distinguish between common and proper nouns. She also learned types of verbs and memorized lists of helping verbs and linking verbs. She learned about adjectives and adverbs, and she memorized a list of prepositions. We're just going to review these concepts and lists during second grade, rather than using another grammar book, as dd is also going to be getting some grammar in her Latin studies and is doing a separate writing program. We might use FLL 3 next year, though.

I cover the page in the book with a cut sheet protector and use an ultra-fine dry-erase marker instead of having my ds write out the exercises. We'd NEVER do anything if he had to write it all at this point.

Oh my goodness! What a great idea!! I have used sheet protectors like this before, but never thought of using them for text books! Now I will be more likely to continue with R&S math beyond the wkbk stage and possibly reconsider the grammar. I just don't want to deal with loads of time copying things onto a notebook, and I am a stickler for neatness so folding paper on a line to write the math answers would just bother me. A sheet protector sounds wonderful!!

We are just starting FLL2 (same book as FLL1). FLL1 introduced nouns, verbs and punctuation/sentence tyoes (statement, question, exclamation). It is very easy and only narration days take us more than 5-10 minutes (copywork sometimes included in that). Each lesson is only about 1 page long - I don't think any are over 2 pages and it really seems to cover the basics.

I used FLL 1/2 with my oldest when she was in Grade 2. I have decided, though, that with my ds and my youngest dd I am not going to do a formal grammar program with them. I don't see the point of it.

What we are doing instead is using Ruth Heller's living books grammar and finding the parts of speech in the passages that we use for WWE.