Menu

Ignore this thread!

My brother informed us that he wants a custom cake for nephew's birthday next week. Where does he think I'm getting one with this kind of notice and who's paying for custom cakes? I asked him 3 weeks ago if they wanted cake and he said it was too soon to think about and then I assumed they didn't need one since they hadn't said anything and won't be here on nephew's actual birthday.

I could get a cake out of one of the grocery store design books, but brother wants a special one. He sent us a picture to copy. I'm sending my parents out to ask the grocery store if they can do it. If they say no, we aren't trying anymore.

Oh- and MIL and BIL want to come for Christmas. I invited them for Christmas and they declined. We said since they couldn't make it for Christmas, MIL could come when she did last week and we bought her a flight. Then, just like I knew would happen, MIL says she wants to come for Christmas after all. And the kicker- she wants us to buy her AND BIL a flight. I think she purposefully declined at first because she wanted to come twice. DH has not decided but told her he wasn't thrilled with the idea of buying another flight so soon- it was one month or the other. We use our airline points, and DH had to explain that the points aren't free and we're trying to save up for our own trip with the kids. 

And...my be nice campaign is failing. Just told my mom not to mess with me. :crying: It wasn't said nicely either. It's their bad luck to come after MIL was here for a week who is way worse than them. I guess I'll do like I tell my kids and start over and try again. I was asked for the 15th time if a certain store was in our town and said no a little shortly and was lectured on my lack of patience. After I spent 6 hrs with DD at the doctor.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I'm painting grapes. Not as good as some things, but it's an exercise in patience.

I'm slow. I was wondering why anyone would paint grapes. Was it a craft project? Wouldn't they rot too quickly to be cute like pumpkins? Is this some weird new pinterest trend? And then I realized, oh...you're painting...

• Like 5

No judgement here, but you non-folding peeps - do your kids look wrinkled all the time?  

Asking for a friend.  

My stuff-it-in-a-basket-until-Mom-catches-me kids to tend to look rather crumpled up and spat out.

• Like 3

It seems strange to me that people find homeschooling so uninteresting (and I realize that’s better than thinking you’re a freak or criticizing you). People always ask dh about his career and love to talk about their careers but no one is interested in what I do. I think it’s interesting. But apparentlyit’s a weird niche job, idk?

“SO, you still newt farming/homeschooling/quality testing staplers? Kay then.â€

I mean, everyone received an education, you’d think they’d have some opinions on it.

But they don’t really discuss education either. We’re weird for knowing and caring about the specifics of what our kids are learning.

• Like 5

Was that a euphemism?

I think it's more slang than euphemism, but I don't know. 

Baked does, too?? The things you learn here!

Or on The Magic School Bus:

Okay, so they didn't mention marijuana directly... but The Magic School Bus has a number of other adult jokes in it too, like "now I know what a tossed salad feels like". 

I'm slow. I was wondering why anyone would paint grapes. Was it a craft project? Wouldn't they rot too quickly to be cute like pumpkins? Is this some weird new pinterest trend? And then I realized, oh...you're painting...

It feel like painting cute little pumpkins. Seriously. One grape at a time. Oh, and you can't paint two that touch until the first one dries. And then you have to do it again and again, because watercolor achieves that translucent stained-glass mess from layering. Over and over and over...

My stuff-it-in-a-basket-until-Mom-catches-me kids to tend to look rather crumpled up and spat out.

That’s the way my kids are. I do keep DS’s button up shirts hanging in my closet so when he’s looking for something to wear to church I don’t have to iron.
  • Like 1

I went to the Afsa. I thought that after Winco and Costco and the Afsa I would be ready for Thanksgiving. But the Afsa is out of celery. Out of celery. Who runs out of celery?? I am appalled. I’ll have to go to United Market tomorrow because I have to make stock and I need celery.

• Like 4

I actually did something on a Friday night other than sit at the computer.  :hurray:

The ladies at my church had a fellowship.  I took the girls with me and we didn't get home until 11 p.m.  :svengo: We had a nice time, though.

As I was tucking in dd11 I noticed that she felt warm.  Yep, a low-grade fever.   :glare:

• Like 3

I actually did something on a Friday night other than sit at the computer.  :hurray:

The ladies at my church had a fellowship.  I took the girls with me and we didn't get home until 11 p.m.  :svengo: We had a nice time, though.

As I was tucking in dd11 I noticed that she felt warm.  Yep, a low-grade fever.   :glare:

Yay for having a good time!!!

Boo for a low grade fever. Hopefully a good night sleep will take care of that!

• Like 1

Grammar-check isn't programmed correctly for subject-verb agreement.  I wrote "Some of our bunch are....", and grammar-check is complaining that the linking verb, "are", doesn't agree with "bunch".  Silly grammar-check!  "Some" is the subject!  "Bunch" is the object of preposition!

• Like 2

Good morning!

So, does anyone know if I made stock out of chicken wings (because I couldn't find turkey wings) and added turkey drippings, if that would make weird gravy. CHicken stock and turkey stock are different. But are they THAT different?

It will be terrific! The drippings you get from the turkey will be plenty to give it the turkey flavor!

I have to leave in an hour and will be gone most of the day.

Coffee!

• Like 3

(((Junie's dd)))

Yay for increasing word counts!  and a non-sick day at home!  and good Doctor reports!  

Some of us have gone to a chess tournament, some of us are going to a swim meet.  My piles of clutter will have to wait until next week.  Hopefully my threatening head ache and sore throat will hold off for a few days too.  

It's a Happy Saturday BOOYAH!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

Or you could ask a relative (such as a SIL) to do it for you.  That's how some families roll, apparently.  

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have any relatives near me. DS10 is too young to send, and so is DS7, DW could in theory do it, and other than that, I think the closest relative would be DW's cousin in St Louis or something (though I should have some very, very distant relatives somewhere in Canada... depending on where in Canada, they might not even be that far - but, they're like my grandparent's cousin's (grand)children or something... I have no clue. Getting the cake myself is probably faster than doing genealogy research and then outsourcing).

#downsidesofmarryinganonlychild

#downsidesofmigration

• Like 2

DH is taking a retirement class that helps people transition to civilian jobs and was told he needed 6 suits and the cheapest good ones were about $1000. 😱 if your DH wears suits is that legit? It sounds mind blowingly crazy to me. I’m sure it depends on the job and atmosphere, but even half that price sounds high. I’m apparently way out of the fashion loop.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have any relatives near me. DS10 is too young to send, and so is DS7, DW could in theory do it, and other than that, I think the closest relative would be DW's cousin in St Louis or something (though I should have some very, very distant relatives somewhere in Canada... depending on where in Canada, they might not even be that far - but, they're like my grandparent's cousin's (grand)children or something... I have no clue. Getting the cake myself is probably faster than doing genealogy research and then outsourcing).

#downsidesofmarryinganonlychild

#downsidesofmigration

You can order cakes online at a lot of places if you can pick one of their existing designs.

• Like 1

DH is taking a retirement class that helps people transition to civilian jobs and was told he needed 6 suits and the cheapest good ones were about $1000. 😱 if your DH wears suits is that legit? It sounds mind blowingly crazy to me. I’m sure it depends on the job and atmosphere, but even half that price sounds high. I’m apparently way out of the fashion loop.

You do not need six suits.  3 would be a good number.  But even then it really really really depends on the civilian job.  Dh has worked management for years and a good pair of Dockers and a button down shirt has been the dress code.  Sometimes with a tie.  And Men's Warehouse has suits for much less.  They aren't Brooks Brothers but most jobs do not require Brooks Brother quality suits. 

• Like 7

Mine doesn't own a suit. If your husband is applying for jobs making $600,000 a year he'll need 6 $1,000 suits. There are so many factors, that's really such a ridiculous notion.
  • Like 1

24-72 hours. I'm hitting 24 in 30 minutes. I don't really care for eating though. Since I began intermittent fasting I only eat once a day (plus a smoothie) and I am just pleased as punch.

If you don't start chewing when the oral surgeon told  you to, you can seriously mess up your jaw.  You need to exercise that jaw in order to keep the muscles from getting too tight. 

Mine doesn't own a suit. If your husband is applying for jobs making $600,000 a year he'll need 6 $1,000 suits. There are so many factors, that's really such a ridiculous notion.

I wouldn't mind $600,000 a year but I doubt it by a long shot. I'm hoping for a Black Friday suit deal from someone or everyone's Christmas presents will be a suit for DH.

• Like 2

If your husband needs to wear a suit every day and you can only get the dry cleaning done once a week, then yes, you'd need 6 suits. And in order to have a good-looking suit, it'd probably cost about that much (maybe slightly less... I don't know, but the cheap suits look, well, cheap). But, surely you'd be able to take his suits to the dry cleaner's more often than once a week, and, plenty of jobs don't require a suit every day, or don't care if the suits are cheap-looking. I just asked DW and she says that nobody at her work wears suits - like, maybe if they're meeting a client (depending on the client) they might wear nice slacks and a dress shirt... I'm thinking that it'd be good for people at her level and above to have one suit, but, anyhow. I mentioned what you were told and she was like, "is he a general or something?!". Now, I should probably add that she does work at a tech company, but still... I really wouldn't run out and buy six expensive suits. 

You can order cakes online at a lot of places if you can pick one of their existing designs.

Yeah, we don't care about designs. 

I just OD'ed on chocolate overdose cake, which is the cake Broccoli wanted (it's the small one, not the large):

https://www.dessertdelibakery.com/catalog/p-100008/chocolate-overdose-cake

Edited by luuknam