• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Okay, the asparagus and Brussels sprouts recipes snagged me.  I might have to try those....

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus is very good. 

I didn't read the whole Brussels sprouts recipe, but I usually quarter mine and saute them in bacon grease, then sprinkle with bacon. You know, grease and veggies TOTALLY go together. lol 

• Like 6

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!!

My sister sent me an email last night requesting the girls' annual American Girl wishlist.   :svengo:

I gave my daughter the catalog. 

I have seen the error of my ways. *tears*

I swear, every second - MOM! I want this. Mom, this is so cool. Can I get it? Why can't I get this? Dad! Mom says I can't get this (points to one item), but can I get these (points to 20 other items)?  lol 

• Like 5

Ikslo, thank you for trying the shutterfly thing. I finally read the fine print. Other person does need to order before I get the code. So, never mind. But thanks!!

I am going to look at it this weekend.  I think I might get the book for the grandparents for Christmas.  So remind me!!

Edited by ikslo

Good morning.

Angi, your post made me think of that old song about the "grapes of wrath being gathered." So if the grapes of wrath do get gathered, I hope that sanity prevails and everyone makes wine and is happy. :grouphug:

Slache--hope everything goes well today.

And  :grouphug: and encouragement to all who need them.

I'm going to try to get to 30K today, paint the rest of that poppy, and clean a little bit. But my heart isn't in the cleaning part.

• Like 4

Next week is already Thanksgiving. I'm not ready for the Christmas madness. Normally, I do all the shopping early so I can actually enjoy the month of December. With everything else happening this year, I haven't bought or planned for anything yet. I already starting to stress about it.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know what we are doing about Christmas this year. It's coming, so I've got to do something. Aside from getting a tree this year, I don't have anything planned or bought. I guess I ought to talk to DH about it and see if he has any ideas. 

What I'd like to do--run away to the mountains, hide out in the cabins with my ITT buddies and drink hot chocolate, listen to the Susan Von Trapp family singers, have Bookworm read to us, and maybe I might compose a poem or two sitting beside the fire.

ETA: We do have a chef to travel with us and keep us well supplied with all those delicious things AMJ ordered for us to eat, right?

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

Dd6 wants a stuffed Twilight Sparkle for Christmas so bad sometimes she just clenches her fists and grunts. She says if she had a magic horn she could wish it into reality. Luckily there is a ten buck beanie baby version. It’s waiting for her cavity fillinf appt a week and a half from now.

:001_wub:

I don't know what we are doing about Christmas this year. It's coming, so I've got to do something. Aside from getting a tree this year, I don't have anything planned or bought. I guess I ought to talk to DH about it and see if he has any ideas.

What I'd like to do--run away to the mountains, hide out in the cabins with my ITT buddies and drink hot chocolate, listen to the Susan Von Trapp family singers, have Bookworm read to us, and maybe I might compose a poem or two sitting beside the fire.

ETA: We do have a chef to travel with us and keep us well supplied with all those delicious things AMJ ordered for us to eat, right?

This sounds lovely.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We keep Christmas pretty low key. At the beginning of Advent we put up our tree and every day we put up a felt ornamnet we sewed a few years back and read a Bible story. Dec 6 is St. Nicholas Day so the kids put their shoes out and I put in a little present or some chocolate and we read his story. Dec 8 is the feast of the Immaculate Conception so we go to Mass. Dec 12 is Our Lady of Guadalupe so we read the story and make paper flowers for our statue of Mary. Christmas Eve my mom comes over and we make gingerbread houses and listen to Christmas music. Christmas morning we go to Mass, come home and open presents, and watch White Christmas and Claymation Christmas. I usually buy some frozen cinnamon rolls for breakfast and cook a ham, mashed potatoes, and peas for lunch. My mom usually bring a veggie tray and some snacky things and I think oldest will want to bake something special. Last year it was cranberry cake.

That's low-key?

But it does sound nice. 

• Like 1

We keep Christmas pretty low key. At the beginning of Advent we put up our tree and every day we put up a felt ornamnet we sewed a few years back and read a Bible story. Dec 6 is St. Nicholas Day so the kids put their shoes out and I put in a little present or some chocolate and we read his story. Dec 8 is the feast of the Immaculate Conception so we go to Mass. Dec 12 is Our Lady of Guadalupe so we read the story and make paper flowers for our statue of Mary. Christmas Eve my mom comes over and we make gingerbread houses and listen to Christmas music. Christmas morning we go to Mass, come home and open presents, and watch White Christmas and Claymation Christmas. I usually buy some frozen cinnamon rolls for breakfast and cook a ham, mashed potatoes, and peas for lunch. My mom usually bring a veggie tray and some snacky things and I think oldest will want to bake something special. Last year it was cranberry cake.

That sounds like a wonderful Christmas with lovely traditions. I like it.
  • Like 2

Good morning.

Angi, your post made me think of that old song about the "grapes of wrath being gathered." So if the grapes of wrath do get gathered, I hope that sanity prevails and everyone makes wine and is happy. :grouphug:

Slache--hope everything goes well today.

And  :grouphug: and encouragement to all who need them.

I'm going to try to get to 30K today, paint the rest of that poppy, and clean a little bit. But my heart isn't in the cleaning part.

I cleaned a door.  I cleaned the windows in the door, taking off the blinds panel so I could get inner and outer surfaces of all of the glass, and I cleaned the interior of the non-glass portion of the door.

Sugar Plum Fairies frantically fumbled and stumbled all the while.  Slow down, Fairies, slow down!

• Like 2

That works for me!!
  • Like 1

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!!

My sister sent me an email last night requesting the girls' annual American Girl wishlist. :svengo:

Middle DD is getting an AG this year. It is her year to get one. We have a deal when the girl turns 8 then Grandma will contribute $ and we will contribute $ and DD contributes $ and she can pick out her AG doll for Christmas. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

We have a crew of chefs who will take it in turn so they don't burn out, and they each get a little fireside-and-cocoa time, too.  Pierre is taking lessons from Juana and giving lessons in return.  Sven and Olaf are working on some secret surprise.  Hiroko is popping in for an evening, and Isabella, too.  They have put the word out and are hoping other chef friends from all parts will join in.

• Like 3

I...well, I scribbled a few hundred words or so, and I'm fixing to make another cup of tea. Not very productive this morning. :laugh:

The tea and less word volume are necessary for your brain to process the next batch to write.  You are being invisibly productive.

• Like 1

We have a crew of chefs who will take it in turn so they don't burn out, and they each get a little fireside-and-cocoa time, too.  Pierre is taking lessons from Juana and giving lessons in return.  Sven and Olaf are working on some secret surprise.  Hiroko is popping in for an evening, and Isabella, too.  They have put the word out and are hoping other chef friends from all parts will join in.

Excellent! I hope somebody makes wine-poached pears with chocolate sauce, but I'd also love some delicious GF glazed donuts. :drool5:

• Like 3

I want this so bad right now. I can read aloud for hours, and I do voices.

Christmas here generally involves French toast for breakfast, lots of sugar, leftovers warmed up, and White Christmas on DVD.

Sounds good to me, too. I'm not a complete Grinch, but I do so hate running around trying to make things great for Christmas. 

• Like 1

Excellent! I hope somebody makes wine-poached pears with chocolate sauce, but I'd also love some delicious GF glazed donuts. :drool5:

Ahh, Ingrid's specialties!

This Booyay is for Ingrid, who really likes the "yay" ending.  She said she's coming, too.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

We've been having a lot of that here, too.  Only I don't want to hide in the bathroom because then I'd have to clean it.  I want a cabin, with some chill outside and a warm fire in a fireplace or wood stove, and hot cider.  And pan-fried leftover tamales.  Or fajitas, with homemade tortillas (I don't know how to make those).  Or Mom's stuffed cabbage (stuffed head, not leaves).

I like this recipe for tortillas: https://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/recipe/flour-tortilla-recipe/

I swear, every second - MOM! I want this. Mom, this is so cool. Can I get it? Why can't I get this? Dad! Mom says I can't get this (points to one item), but can I get these (points to 20 other items)?  lol 

Sounds like my son with the King Arthur Flour catalog!

• Like 2

I had said for years that we would *never* do American Girl.  Because $$$ and lots of girls.

However, my sister was determined to spend $$$ on the kids for Christmas anyway, so I would rather her get the stuff they want than a whole bunch of stuff that they don't.

She is single with a good job.  She has no dependents and my kids are the only nieces and nephew (until January, when my brother's baby is due).

Also, a few years ago she had a surgery that went terribly wrong.  I was told later that she almost died.  She apparently had written goodbye letters to each one of them.   :crying:

So, if she wants to spend $$$ on my kids, I will happily provide a list.  :)

• Like 7

I got a speeding ticket Wednesday in a school zone I wasn't aware was active.  I was encouraged by the officer to call the court sooner rather than closer to the deadline.  I tried to call them this morning -- after first following directions to go to the website (my ticket wasn't found) I opted to talk to a real person.  She put me on immediate hold, listening to the same TWO SONGS over and over and over again, all very tinny and sounding like the speakers have blown.  I finally hung up.

Wastin' away again in Bad Hold Musicville

Wanting to be a good citizen.

They tell me to hurry but they 

won't do the same;

all I want 

is to settle this now.

• Like 2

I got a speeding ticket Wednesday in a school zone I wasn't aware was active. I was encouraged by the officer to call the court sooner rather than closer to the deadline. I tried to call them this morning -- after first following directions to go to the website (my ticket wasn't found) I opted to talk to a real person. She put me on immediate hold, listening to the same TWO SONGS over and over and over again, all very tinny and sounding like the speakers have blown. I finally hung up.

Wastin' away again in Bad Hold Musicville

Wanting to be a good citizen.

They tell me to hurry but they

won't do the same;

all I want

is to settle this now.

I’m glad that we have a cordless phone so that cleaning can get done while on hold.

• Like 2

It probably doesn’t look low key but it’s spread out over the whole month. We don’t travel or cook super complicated heritage dishes or put up lights or even much in the way of interior decorations or go to parties, so I guess it seems simple to me compared to what I see a lot of ppl doing. 🤷â€â™€ï¸

Last year I didn't put up a Christmas tree.... :leaving:  

• Like 4

So, I got my new iPad last night and immediately screwed it up. I put in a passcode and didn't write it down and promptly forgot it, so poor DH had to stay up late to reformat it.😩😩 I haven't had time to fiddle with it this morning. Hope I don't screw it up again. Right now I'm on my old iPad, which will get handed over to DH.

• Like 3

We usually do a little bit of Hannakuh since dd bio family is Jewish. We just light the menorah candles each night, read some books, and do a little gift. This year, I don't wanna. But I'm thinking we still could. I'm thinking we could do 8 nights of giving instead of getting. We could go buy canned goods and drop them off one night, bake for neighbors one night, etc. Any good ideas for this?

You might put your local animal shelter in that. Find out what they need and bring a few things by for the animals. 

• Like 3

Good Friday morning!  Friday, blessed Friday!   :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

Cutting school to the minimum - everyone does math and ds12yo and I finish his science fair presentation board.  Then tonight - a piano recital and hanging out with friends.  Yay!

Happy New Range day for Jean!

Boo for being up half the night.  (((Slache)))  Wait - are you supposed to be eating?

Yay for watercolored poppies!  and wiped fridge doors, and laundry done, and houses cleaned, and dh's who cook, and movies in Spanish, and Russian and violin and all the other things!

I can eat. I'm not going to sleep.

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!!

My sister sent me an email last night requesting the girls' annual American Girl wishlist.   :svengo:

I want to be that aunt. SIL isn't even dating anyone so there's still hope.

Yeah... I don't give my kids catalogs...

Oh, and my sister doesn't do birthdays.  She says there are too many to remember.  ;)

:lol:

We usually do a little bit of Hannakuh since dd bio family is Jewish. We just light the menorah candles each night, read some books, and do a little gift. This year, I don't wanna. But I'm thinking we still could. I'm thinking we could do 8 nights of giving instead of getting. We could go buy canned goods and drop them off one night, bake for neighbors one night, etc. Any good ideas for this?

World Vision gift catalog can be found online. You can buy things like a goat, a duck, school supplies or medicine. I don't think you get to decide where it goes, just what you get. Most of it it's extremely inexpensive because chickens are cheap in Africa.
  • Like 2