Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Now the stupid FAFSA fridge is dead. Not just the freezer. And nobody in our general driving area stocks refrigerators. Everything is "available for delivery March 3-7". And that's including Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. fortunately we have the freezer in the garage and this summer we bought a little fridge for the garage to hold the over flow fruit. So, DH just cleaned out the fridge and put the meat and dairy in there. I had been thinking about going to Costco yesterday. I'm glad I didn't.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   FAFSA.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Prime?

I had no idea you could buy refridgerators on Prime. But, they don't seem to have 2-day delivery.

We are going to borrow my mom's small refridgerator, so between that one and our little one, and the deep-freeze, we should be able to limp along until we can get something. Some of the places had stainless steel in stock, but all of my appliances are white and so is my tile, etc. so I don't want to go stainless steel.

Yeah, the only Prime-eligible one I saw is an apartment-sized one with a March 3 delivery date.  I imagine it would ship freight, too, and someone would have to be there to inspect it after unloading and sign off on the slip.

I'm not a big fan of the stainless steel look, mostly because it seems to cost more and threatens to be yet another shiny surface reflecting light into my eyes when I don't expect it.  MIL & FIL bought a stainless steel fridge when they replaced their previous one, and discovered that magnets won't stick to the surface.  One of my nephews decided that a fridge devoid of artwork just won't do, so he taped some of his to their fridge.  They are happier now, because they weren't aware they couldn't magnet their grandkids' art to the fridge.

I'm glad your Mom has a small one to spare so you can have the time to get in a good one.

I would love a new fridge. And a new dishwasher. Why won't mine die?

I wouldn't mind new, either, but I really don't want the work of having to shop for them right now, nor the expense.  I also want to see if the latest repairs to ILs' just-a-few-years-old fridge fix things, or if they are going to have more problems with it.  I've been all agog with fridge envy until I heard of the issues they are having, including the front control panel peeling away (unsightly though still functional).  For the price they paid I expected better.

Our major appliances are still good, so I'll continue to watch how other peoples' newer appliances work out to see what I might consider when we finally do replace ours.  It cuts down on the shopping.

• Like 1

Lunchtime!

The Girl Scouts got me as I was leaving the grocery store.  Still, I managed to buy only 5 boxes.  One box of shortbreads reserved for me (but I'll share once I open them), one box of Thin Mints given directly to DH, and for the girls one box of Thin Mints, one of the lemonades, and one of the new S'mores cookie.  I can eat a box of Thin Mints in one sitting without realizing it, so I told the girls their box of Thin Mints were all theirs and I shouldn't have any.

I might do the baggie portion trick with the Shortbreads as it is, just to make it more obvious to me when I risk eating too many.  I do this with my cereal -- use baggies for individual servings.

I now have the veggies necessary for the Low Carb Ham and Veggie Hash and enough stew meat for the Carne Guisada Tacos.  I have smoothie ingredients again, too.

But I forgot to pick up milk for the family.  Oops.

• Like 2

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the Y has a non-fraternization policy for all employees 18 and over from associating with minors outside of their official Y duties.  All of Dd's friends are older than her and she is still a minor.  The Y has applied this non-fraternization rule to everyone so it even applies to her (heterosexual) girl friends.   One of her good friends is turning 18 this next week so they are trying to figure out where they can meet outside of the Y so that they won't be caught being friends.  This kind of thing just becomes stupid in my opinion, but this friend can't afford to be fired and it is the Y employee that is in danger, not Dd, since she is not their employee.  Some of her other friends don't care if the Y fires them so they just ignore it. and hang out with Dd anyway. 

• Like 2

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the Y has a non-fraternization policy for all employees 18 and over from associating with minors outside of their official Y duties.  All of Dd's friends are older than her and she is still a minor.  The Y has applied this non-fraternization rule to everyone so it even applies to her (heterosexual) girl friends.   One of her good friends is turning 18 this next week so they are trying to figure out where they can meet outside of the Y so that they won't be caught being friends.  This kind of thing just becomes stupid in my opinion, but this friend can't afford to be fired and it is the Y employee that is in danger, not Dd, since she is not their employee.  Some of her other friends don't care if the Y fires them so they just ignore it. and hang out with Dd anyway. 

Well, that's much too short-sighted and restrictive.  It would technically also disallow being with one's own younger family members, babysitting, volunteering through church or other organizations, and pursuit of college studies like education and child development that require contact with younger children.  In short, it would drive away just the sort of employee the Y would benefit from having.

• Like 1

Well, that's much too short-sighted and restrictive.  It would technically also disallow being with one's own younger family members, babysitting, volunteering through church or other organizations, and pursuit of college studies like education and child development that require contact with younger children.  In short, it would drive away just the sort of employee the Y would benefit from having.

They specifically forbid any outside childcare of any child that belongs to the Y.  I know that their purpose is to stop child abuse and grooming type stuff but the whole Big Brother nature of it rubs me the wrong way. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

I have been curious about those extra drawers.  How do you like it?  How do you use it?  How long have you had it?

I missed this link.  Care to share it again?  I'm curious about a fridge with secret openings!

Here's the one we have, though we didn't pay anywhere near that much for it! We have had it for about 8 months.

http://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/refrigerators/french-door/33-wide-25-cu-ft-capacity-4-door-french-door-refrigerator-white-rf25hmedbww-aa/

We use the drawer for fruit, lunch meat and cheese, butter, and misc. stuff. I would say it can be useful, but I wouldn't insist on getting a fridge with one. The feature I like the most is the shelf that slides back to make room for tall stuff. We use that all the time. A couple of the left side (ice cube maker) shelves are fairly useless unless you have thin and/or tiny bottles or medications to refrigerate. The model with more square footage has more generally useful (wider) space in that area.

The secret door ones are called "showcase doors" and I think they are supposed to help save energy by not making you open the door fully to get frequently used items? http://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/refrigerators/french-door/36-wide-28-cu-ft-capacity-3-door-french-door-food-showcase-refrigerator-black-rf28hdedpbc-aa/

• Like 1

Any chance of lobbying for an exemption for non-romantic contact between people who are less than two years apart?

What happens to a high school senior employee who is in b&m school with 17-year-olds when she turns 18? Isn't sitting together at lunch fraternization? What if she isn't aware that somebody is a member? (Some of my classmates, including DH, turned 18 when I was still 16.)

• Like 2

I have sequestered myself to a dark room and headphones.  My headache was raging this morning but is much better now.  I want to get up and get stuff done, but I'm afraid the headache will roar to life again if I do.

I watched the movie "Secretariat" this morning while hibernating.  I really enjoyed it.  It was a Christmas gift from my mom.  I'm planning to loan it to her as I think she'll enjoy it even more than I did.

• Like 5

We took a hike at a nearby trail that dh found - started out with a 1/2 mile of steep uphill (we debated over whether or not you could convince a horse to go up the trail), but a nice up-and-down walk along a ridge after that. In case it has not been mentioned, do not wear bifocals while hiking. It is annoying. Eventually I plan to ditch the bifocals entirely. (I've found them to be fairly useless in the real world, and especially annoying when hiking.)

• Like 3

I have sequestered myself to a dark room and headphones. My headache was raging this morning but is much better now. I want to get up and get stuff done, but I'm afraid the headache will roar to life again if I do.

I watched the movie "Secretariat" this morning while hibernating. I really enjoyed it. It was a Christmas gift from my mom. I'm planning to loan it to her as I think she'll enjoy it even more than I did.

(((Junie)))

• Like 1

Any chance of lobbying for an exemption for non-romantic contact between people who are less than two years apart?

What happens to a high school senior employee who is in b&m school with 17-year-olds when she turns 18? Isn't sitting together at lunch fraternization? What if she isn't aware that somebody is a member? (Some of my classmates, including DH, turned 18 when I was still 16.)

It wouldn't help dd since she's more than two years apart in age from her friends.

I have sequestered myself to a dark room and headphones. My headache was raging this morning but is much better now. I want to get up and get stuff done, but I'm afraid the headache will roar to life again if I do.

I watched the movie "Secretariat" this morning while hibernating. I really enjoyed it. It was a Christmas gift from my mom. I'm planning to loan it to her as I think she'll enjoy it even more than I did.

:grouphug: for the headache.

• Like 1

They specifically forbid any outside childcare of any child that belongs to the Y.  I know that their purpose is to stop child abuse and grooming type stuff but the whole Big Brother nature of it rubs me the wrong way. 

No kidding.  

• Like 1

Here's the one we have, though we didn't pay anywhere near that much for it! We have had it for about 8 months.

http://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/refrigerators/french-door/33-wide-25-cu-ft-capacity-4-door-french-door-refrigerator-white-rf25hmedbww-aa/

We use the drawer for fruit, lunch meat and cheese, butter, and misc. stuff. I would say it can be useful, but I wouldn't insist on getting a fridge with one. The feature I like the most is the shelf that slides back to make room for tall stuff. We use that all the time. A couple of the left side (ice cube maker) shelves are fairly useless unless you have thin and/or tiny bottles or medications to refrigerate. The model with more square footage has more generally useful (wider) space in that area.

The secret door ones are called "showcase doors" and I think they are supposed to help save energy by not making you open the door fully to get frequently used items? http://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/refrigerators/french-door/36-wide-28-cu-ft-capacity-3-door-french-door-food-showcase-refrigerator-black-rf28hdedpbc-aa/

Thanks.  On yours, is that extra drawer interchangeable, able to switch between being a fridge drawer or being a freezer drawer?  It seems it would best serve if the temp for the drawer could be set independently from the fridge and the freezer, at whatever temp is desired.  I've been thinking that such a drawer could be rather handy for isolating thawing meats from the main fridge (I hate having my raw meat above the crisper drawers), and at times handy for storing party platters or other pans of prepped up food.  If it can act as a freezer drawer at times it could be handy for pizzas or quick-grab frozen lunches and stuff.  There are also some foods that simply might store better at a different temperature than the fridge (things that should be cool but not cold, for instance).  It could also be handy for assignment as the kids' snack drawer (mostly for younger kids), to keep them from digging through the rest of the fridge or standing a while with the door open.

I have lusted over specialty fridge drawers that get built in underneath a kitchen counter, like some professionals have.  That extra drawer on the fridge keeps whispering such promise to me, but I need to know if the manufacturers are doing a good job on them before I succumb and buy.

We took a hike at a nearby trail that dh found - started out with a 1/2 mile of steep uphill (we debated over whether or not you could convince a horse to go up the trail), but a nice up-and-down walk along a ridge after that. In case it has not been mentioned, do not wear bifocals while hiking. It is annoying. Eventually I plan to ditch the bifocals entirely. (I've found them to be fairly useless in the real world, and especially annoying when hiking.)

Sorry for the frustration over eyewear, but I am relieved to hear I'm not the only person aggravated with bifocals!  I tried progressives over a year ago, and they were a massive failure (part bad application, part poor execution).  I now own a pair of bifocals for computer work ("ordinary" vision over the line and reading under so I can handle close reading and computer monitor distance easily), and at times I'm annoyed with them even for that.  I have a pair of distance glasses for when I'm driving, and I have numerous pairs of drug store reading glasses strewn about the place for whenever I need them.  I also have a pair of ThinOptics (https://smile.amazon.com/ThinOPTICS-Anywhere-Everywhere-Universal-Strength/dp/B00XWPTUVK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488059548&sr=8-1&keywords=thin%2Boptics&th=1) in my wallet for use at the checkout lane.

I simply don't get enough benefit from the bifocals to warrant the cost.  I doubt I'll be buying more in the future.

• Like 1

I must be feeling critical today.  I browsed further through the webpage of the fridge you have, and started commenting to myself:  That pineapple is never going to ripen in there.  Stand it on its head in a corner on your countertop for a day or two.  

• Like 2

I braved the AFSA. And even managed to get everything into the two mini-fridges. And I didn't buy GS cookies. I felt kind of bad, but... I really try to save my fundraising purchases for kids I know. And yesterday our two sweet little neighbor girls came by hawking chocolate covered almonds so they could go to some youth something or other. So I bought some of those.

• Like 4

I will be making Cajun chicken ragout for dinner. It's the recipe of the day on Allrecipes.com. I needed an inspiration. I feel like I make the same things all the time. This looks pretty good. I bought andouille sausage for the first time in my life.

Now, I gotta make banana bread.

• Like 3

I just ordered another Susan Branch book on Amazon. I had birthday $$. It's the first one in the trilogy. My BFF IRL got me the second one. I'm in the middle. I love it. It is seriously my happy place.

I really need to get up and do something.

Need is a strong word.

• Like 1