• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I'll drink some lemon water with you. It's delicious. Maybe I will try some lime today.

I put a bendy straw in my water, so it feels fancy.

I might still have one or two bendy straws with little umbrellas here somewhere, so I can join you!  *headsofftohuntthemdown*

• Like 2

That is frustrating, Jean. Is this the family who has done this before?

Plum Tarte Tatin:

Cut some plums in half (eight fit in my pie plate)

Melt some butter and plum jelly in a skillet (med to med low) and cook the plums cut face down for a bit. Add liquid of some kind if the skillet gets dry. You could use water. I used some black cherry juice (it was good!). You just want a little liquid so things don't scorch. Add favorite cut plum spices to the pan. I grated some nutmeg and ground some alligator pepper over all and added about three whole cloves. Then I covered the pan and let the plums poach for a while (until soft--I wasn't timing, sorry). 

In the meantime I rolled out one of my GF pie crusts. Use whatever crust you want.

I preheated the oven to 375. Then I put all the plums, cut face down in a 9 inch pie plate. I removed the whole cloves, then poured the very reduced liquid on top. It shouldn't even make it out to the edge of the plate. Then I tucked the pie crust down around the plums, being careful not to tear it on top. I did an egg wash on the crust and sprinkled it with sugar.

Bake 25-30 minutes (until crust is golden). Remove, allow to cool slightly, then unmold on the serving plate. You should have a nest of rosy red plums on golden pastry.

This tart was not sweet. If you want it sweeter, I'd put some sugar with the plums in the poaching process along with the jelly. It was very tart, and paired really well with some ice cream. There is no need to peel the plums. The poaching process really softened the skins and they just molded into the pastry.

My nap was successful. Even the kitten made an attempt to sleep instead of bathing herself the whole time, and passed her napping-with-person test with a low B. :laugh:

That sounds amazing!  I should be able to make a version of that that won't break my restrictions (I expect it will depend upon the jelly).  I think we even have some black cherry juice in the fridge!

Do you think it would still work if I used jelly that was either not plum and/or not jelly (jam or preserves) instead?  How much butter and jelly did you use?

• Like 2

Ok, I'm just going to say this because.... ya'll won't judge me or think I'm weird. Or maybe ya'll will, but you'll just keep it to yourself. I got out my Thanksgiving binder. I always host Thanksgiving for DH's family. 30 people. And I have a binder. And I got a thanksgiving book from the library and have already copied off some recipes. It makes me happy! This book I got is a crack up. Almost every recipe (well, not really, but a lot of them) always ends with "bourbon (optional)". I just have to laugh. Even the gravy. You could spike every dish you serve!

We will NOT be hosting Thanksgiving this year.  It will be at one SIL's house, and she has stated that she doesn't plan on quite the extent we went to (which is perfectly okay).  It is still potluck, so there will still be too much food, and both SILs have promised to let me borrow their kitchens so I can make my contributions.

All the same, what is the title of the book, please?  Hosting BIL would probably get a big kick out of it!  I could get him the book and a bottle of bourbon....

• Like 2

We alternate hosting Xmas and Thanksgiving each year. Our head count is typically between 30-40. When we started, it was only 25 or so. But everyone (including us) started getting married and having kids. Now it's just an open invite to anyone who doesn't have anywhere else to go.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Hi, Lana!  Welcome to the thread, if I haven't already said so!

• Like 1

Thanksgiving and Christmas are at my house because we're the only ones with kids.  They know it's easier for us not to travel.  So it's 8 of us plus 5 (or maybe 6) extra.  

When younger BIL/SIL & family lived down here it was at their house for the longest time because of SIL's invalid father.  After he passed on DH & I started hosting because SIL still had her hands overly full.  Now that BIL/SIL & family moved north, up by the other BIL/SIL & family, and one of our nieces is now in college (has classes M-W Thanksgiving week), so the big gatherings have relocated up north and other BIL/SIL is hosting this year.  It's just the 4 of us and DH's parents who are down here now, so it is easier for us to travel up instead of the rest of them traveling down to us.

• Like 2

OK - this isn't going to mean anything to anyone else here but I'm going to rant just a tad.  I know that the Irasshai Japanese program keeps getting rave reviews on this board but I've just spent an hour watching/listening to their videos and I'm not impressed.  The main teacher/host speaks with a slight American accent and I know that it is a prejudiced of me but that bothers me.  Plus, there is a bit of a mocking attitude to it at times toward the American speakers.  But it is very good at explanations of culture and the meaning of phrases. 

OK now that I've gotten that out of my system, carry on.

PS - Was it AMJ who asked me what program I like?  It is called Mirai. 

Thank you!  I will check out Mirai.   :laugh:

ETA:  Jean, is this it?: http://www.miraijapanese.com/

I found that by googling "mirai japanese".  Googling just "mirai" got me Toyota websites.

Edited by AMJ

Do you think it would still work if I used jelly that was either not plum and/or not jelly (jam or preserves) instead?  How much butter and jelly did you use?

Probably. I'd suggest something with a mild flavor-maybe apricot, but I'm betting something like marmalade would be good. Or peach. 

I used about 1 tbsp of butter--just enough to coat the pan, and roughly the same amount of jelly. I wan't really measuring at the time. 

• Like 1

Good morning.

I second the extra weekend day. We could call it octoday, funonlyday or something.

DH stated the other day that calendars would be so much more manageable if weeks were only 5 days long.  Every 4 years or so we could have an extra day, Leap Day, that is a holiday in and of itself and not part of any week or month.  He couldn't tell me, however, how many work days should be in a week.

It's a revamp-the-calendar Booyah!  Must be Booyah Day!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

I'm around. Would you believe that I took a two hour nap yesterday, slept a good eight hours last night and I'm still tired?

AMJ, what is Scratchy Soup?

Scratchy Soup is the name DD15 (years ago) gave the homemade soup I tend to make from scratch.  If I use a lot of leftovers in it it becomes Scrappy Soup.  It's basically a meat & veggie soup that is never the same twice.  I use the stock pot method: toss everything into a tall pot on the stove and let it cook however long is necessary (brown the meat first for flavor, or use leftovers from previous nights' meals).  

I tend to overfill the pot, too, so after ladling out the first meal's servings what's left has less fluid to it, so then I stir in ice cubes to cool it down before refrigerating.  This not only cools the soup and helps re-water it a bit, it prompts a clear-out of the fridge's ice maker so we have all fresh ice the next day.  Who knew soup could be so multi-purpose?   :w00t:

• Like 6

Probably. I'd suggest something with a mild flavor-maybe apricot, but I'm betting something like marmalade would be good. Or peach. 

I used about 1 tbsp of butter--just enough to coat the pan, and roughly the same amount of jelly. I wan't really measuring at the time. 

Thank you!

I can try to make this this week or next, and if it works out I can maybe make one for Thanksgiving, too.

You wouldn't have any low-sugar/diabetic-friendly pumpkin pie recipes, would you?   :bigear:

• Like 1

DH has just beaten me to the punch on quelling DD15's drama trauma over having to put away clean dishes.  He also has just spotted her reading in dim light.  When she said she had enough light he asked her, "Would your mother say the light was too dim?  Yes?  Then it's too dim!  Turn on the light."  He asked me if that was a good standard, and I gave him my hearty approval.  

I married a good one!

• Like 9

We are back from Ikea.  I had been looking forward to eating lunch there, but DH did express concern about how far away from home we were should something upset my stomach again, so we came home to eat.

I have my shelves.  DH bought some other shelves he decided he wanted.  DD12 picked out a cute, animal-shaped lamp, and DD15 picked up a pose-able wooden guy that was called a "gestalt".  I got my cardio in because DD15 decided she wanted a wooden guy when we were down in the warehouse aisles looking for the boxed shelves.  I went back to go find one and ended up searching pretty nearly the entire 2 floors.  The guys weren't in the section the computer claimed, and I finally found them in a floor bin tucked into a back corner of one of the displays close to the beginning.  While I was on my expedition DH and the girls checked out with everything else and loaded up the pickup, then sat listening to an audiobook while waiting for me to emerge.

It was fun. Now we get to put them all together, 2 bookcases and 3 deeper shelving units, all going into our master bedroom.  More of my books will have homes again!   :laugh:

• Like 6

Well, we churched, we lunched and now I'm comfortably situated in the couch with mY iPad, some books and the NY Giants/Dallas Cowboys game on. Watched a fabulous ending to the Raidersmgame. Go DerekCarr!

All the same, what is the title of the book, please? Hosting BIL would probably get a big kick out of it! I could get him the book and a bottle of bourbon....

Thanksgiving 101 by Rick Rodgers
  • Like 4

I have completed my Monday housekeeping, done umpteen loads of laundry, and made chicken and dumplings (GF) for dinner. I even dusted my fan. Go me!

You are my hero. I haven't made chicken and dumplings in ages. I love chicken and dumplings. And if you wouldn't mind.... my fans need dusting, too! Although we usually dust them when we change their direction twice a year. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Thank you!  I will check out Mirai.   :laugh:

ETA:  Jean, is this it?: http://www.miraijapanese.com/

I found that by googling "mirai japanese".  Googling just "mirai" got me Toyota websites.

No.  It is this  https://www.cheng-tsui.com/browse/mirai (you can find it cheaper on Amazon but this has the best description of the program)

• Like 1

We churched.  We even communioned without a hitch this week.  Dh went right from his pastor job to his "day job" (which has overflowed to the weekend).

Dd and I then went to the Japanese grocery store on the way home.  I wanted a Japanese writing book but their book selection is really tiny and has tons of cookbooks and origami books but no Japanese writing books.  We got lunch at the deli.  I had to pantomime to get the bbq guy to understand what I wanted and even then he told me that I couldn't have the ribs that were right there but could only have the chicken.  So I capitulated and got the chicken because. . . language barrier.  (He was not Japanese but probably Vietnamese or Cambodian from his name.)  It was still delicious. 

We then went to the pet store to look at the dogs up for adoption.  Can you believe that they had dogs for adoption for a $700 fee?  That is more than our pure-bred dogs cost!  And these dogs were mixes!  There was a really nice really barky Basenji mix who must have gotten his bark from whatever part of him is mixed since I didn't think that Basenji's barked. 

• Like 5

There is a small switch on our ceiling fans. It is supposed to be one direction in the spring/summer or summer/fall then the opposite direction the fall/winter or winter/spring. See I don't really know much. :D

Eta: it has something to do with heat rising, and in the winter you want to push the air down or something like that. It maybe opposite of what I said. Not sure.

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 4

There is a thread on the K-8 board titled "How does these plans sound". I think her plan sounds pretty good to me, but I don't know much (if you didn't already know this) so I don't feel confident responding. I was wondering if someone with some more knowledge (been at this homeschooling thing a while) could take a look and help her out. No one had replied yet, and it has been up a couple of hours or so.

Edited thread title

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 3

????

I feel so uneducated all of the sudden...

I don't change the blades on my fans. I am too lazy.

In the summer it spins counter-clockwise to make it cooler. In the winter it spins clockwise to push the warmer air from the ceiling down to keep us warmer. We don't change the blades, we just flip the switch. But we have to clean them first or we get a bunch of dust bunnies pouring down on our heads.
  • Like 4

I am looking forward to Poldark on PBS to start on the 25th at 8 p.m. There are 12 books in the series (I think), and I read them all last summer. Good books. The show is really interesting, and I am looking for something, anything to bring some pleasure into my life. You know what I mean, something for me, an escape for an hour or so.

• Like 6

I have had a hard time finding a series to read/finish at least the first book in a while. I am currently reading On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. Awesome story writer. I have read several of his novels, and this one is for the book club at church which is taking place on International Talk Like A Pirate Day (September 19th, in case you don't have it on your calendar yet). I will be bringing pirate-themed treats.

I should give Poldark a try.

• Like 5

Well, we churched, we lunched and now I'm comfortably situated in the couch with mY iPad, some books and the NY Giants/Dallas Cowboys game on. Watched a fabulous ending to the Raidersmgame. Go DerekCarr!

, Thanksgiving 101 by Rick Rodgers

Thanks!  I have ordered a copy just now.   :laugh: