Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!!

School for some. work for others.

I teach my Home Ec class today and then I drive to the Big City for a couple of family meetings. The weekend was good. I was pretty much bone weary at the start of it, but I feel better now.

Oooh, I got the Booya/h. I was wondering if that was laying around somewhere.

It’s a Feeling Better Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  I'm not sure what day it is today.  Being on vacation is lovely.

We're heading into Bar Harbor on a ferry today.   Just to roam around and do some shopping.   Then taking the ferry back.   We've mainly been relaxing the past few days because holiday weekend and Bar Harbor was insane when we went by the other day.  We did have some great lobster already, seen seals right from our deck, and just relaxed in the fresh air.   The rest of the week will be more active - shopping, hiking, whale watch, lots of lobster.   Friday dh is taking a charter fishing trip that he is super looking forward to.  The kids and I, and mom will just stay local to the house.   There's a beach nearby for tidal pools, and beach-combing but when we checked it out the other day it was high tide.  We definitely need to go during low tide and the timing for that is better on Friday, so that works out well.  

• Like 5

Good morning!

Yay for Maine activities!

One instrument that was clearly missing in the Old Time Jam last night was banjo.  Imma have to save up my pennies and get one.  Some neighbors came by to listen but it got dark pretty early and I couldn't see the music or chords any more - we probably need better lighting on the porch.  And I should work on memorizing the songs.  You're really meant to learn this style of music by listening but since I grew up strictly classical-music reading it is not second nature and feels awkward.

People here have school and work.  I'm still pretty stuffy and have zero appetite.  But there's always

Coffee!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Some neighbors came by to listen but it got dark pretty early and I couldn't see the music or chords any more - we probably need better lighting on the porch.

Camping lanterns?

Gas-powered leafblowers make me want to move away from People. (Not trees.)

• Like 4

Good Afternoon!

Happy Tuesday!

Trying to be a good girl and stay off the internet from 9 to noon.

Yesterday the girls and I had a conversation about how dh and I view exhibits in a museum.  He pretty much just goes in a straight line from one exhibit to the next.  Like a sane person.

We decided that my museum style is "Roomba".  I bounce all over the place, but if you give me enough time, I will eventually see everything.  Some things I will look at 14 times.  And I frequently need to stop to recharge my battery. :)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Siggy updated. My babies are doing big kid things. :sad:

Journey Through the Bible, Concise History of Us, Exploration Education
DS7th: AoPS, Cover Story, Skills For Literary Analysis, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Japanese, Violin
DD5th: Saxon, Cover Story, Greek, Spanish, Piano, Violin, Uncle Sam & You
DS2nd: Beast Academy, RLTL, Primary Language Lessons, Greek, Spanish, Japanese, Piano
DS3yo: Being problematic in as many ways as humanly possible

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

First day back to school went well. Math went FAST! As in 2 chapters and wants to test out of both tomorrow and move on! Who is this child?!

Now, English, on the other hand, was not as amazing. There is a writing/proofreading assignment coming right up that expects the student to use proofreading symbols that I recognize but do not remember teaching last year. I guess I need to investigate.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

First day back to school went well. Math went FAST! As in 2 chapters and wants to test out of both tomorrow and move on! Who is this child?!

Now, English, on the other hand, was not as amazing. There is a writing/proofreading assignment coming right up that expects the student to use proofreading symbols that I recognize but do not remember teaching last year. I guess I need to investigate.

Everything is taking forever because we're doing all new things and they haven't found their groove. I deliberately skipped a few subjects for the beginning of the year.

• Like 6

Good morning!

I'm hungry.  I think that's good.  I've been awake for a little while even after having finally fallen asleep some time after midnight and then having end-of-cold coughing fits.  Oh well.  Maybe I can get a nap in later.

The vet called last night and said Pup does indeed have some kind of bacteria in his left ear which is probably the issue behind his constant ear infections there.  So I have to bring him in this morning to get some kind of special medicine for it.

After that a quick run to the grocery store - we're out of cheese and People are getting nervous.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Humph day!!

Busy, busy!!

Driving to the West Side again to visit families. My goal is to get it all done in one day, but it didn’t happen this month. Wednesday night church tonight. Going to try to make some adjustments. We have a lot of young ones, like….three-year-olds who have never been in an organized setting before, so some training is going to have to commence.

• Like 4

Fun time in Bar Harbor.  Rough walking all that uphill but still fun.   Did some shopping, had lunch at Geddy's.  Dd bought a ridiculously large stuffed lobster that was all she wanted.    Ds and I bought some rocks and I bought one of those old hand boiler things for class.   

Coming back on the ferry we saw a pod of porpoises around the boat.  

lobster.jpg

• Like 5

Today is our busy day. Since the school I work at is located at the church I attend, Wednesdays I'll be here pretty much all day. School ends at 3:30; I'll do a little work, then take Gymnast to orchestra practice which is 4 minutes away. After practice, we're back at the church for the prayer meeting/Bible study (and dinner!), followed by youth meeting. So, we're essentially here from 7:30 am to 8:15 pm, with a short orchestra break.

And we left our lunch at home. 😞

So, I ordered delivery...from McD. 😟

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/5/2023 at 8:23 AM, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Yay for Maine activities!

One instrument that was clearly missing in the Old Time Jam last night was banjo.  Imma have to save up my pennies and get one.  Some neighbors came by to listen but it got dark pretty early and I couldn't see the music or chords any more - we probably need better lighting on the porch.  And I should work on memorizing the songs.  You're really meant to learn this style of music by listening but since I grew up strictly classical-music reading it is not second nature and feels awkward.

People here have school and work.  I'm still pretty stuffy and have zero appetite.  But there's always

Coffee!

I mostly learned music by ear, which also be a handicap to a certain point.

Gymnast, thankfully can do both. I wanted her to be able to have an ear for music/play by ear (thus, Suzuki), and also read (which Suzuki also does), so she has the better of both worlds.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dianthus said:

I'm barely holding together. Today was my busy day out. But I think we did about everything though ds didn't do Latin. Tomorrow is a bit busy too.

We have lost a library book and it is overdue and so far, i have a $1 fine. It's probably in the boys' room.

You’re good. I have completely lost a library book and owe a hefty fine! 😂 It was a gardening book. I can’t find it anywhere!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday Eve!!

School and work.

The Friday night football game is tonight. They are moving some of the smaller schools to Thursday night because there is a referee shortage. I wouldn’t want to be a ref. They get so much abuse from idiots in the stand. It really makes me mad. I just want to stand up and yell those people to just shut up and watch the game, but I’m afraid they’d start yelling at me next. I realize that refs do make bad calls at times, but good grief, have a little grace.

• Like 5

Morning, Happy Thursday.

We went on a whale watch yesterday.   Saw a little pod of 4 humpback whales.   

We had tickets for all 5 of us, but ds woke up saying his leg hurt (probably from all the uphill walking the day before) and didn't want to go so we ended up letting him stay behind. Which solved a problem we were trying to figure out of what to do with the dog.   Dog was okay staying alone the first day we went out, but second time when we were out for only a few hours he ended up throwing up, possibly from the heat combined with his anxiety (dog has separation anxiety).  Whale watch was a much longer day so we were debating options when ds basically solved the problem for us.

But then dd, who has anxiety, was worried about being on the boat for 4 hours.  I did manage to coax her into going since I knew she would love it (she was in awe of the porpoises we saw from the ferry and loves the feeling of wind in her face, she's very sensory seeking unlike her brother who is sensory avoidant).    She brought her tablet (that she draws on), her phone, and I ended up letting her bring Macaroni, her giant stuffed lobster.   She did have a good time, said she wasn't miserable but didn't know if she'd want to do it again.   We did see whales but they didn't really come up high or breach so there wasn't a lot to see.  

Today we're going to Acadia National Park.  We got a pass to drive up to the top of Cadillac Mountain, then we are going to do one of the easier hikes with a beach on one end so we can swim a little bit.   At least the kids can swim.  I'll probably just beachcomb and maybe wade a little bit. 

• Like 6

Whales!

Macaroni is an awesome name for a lobster!  I remember Cadillac Mountain!  Dh built a cairn and named it Susan, lol.

In other news, the little stray tiger-striped cat is back on the front porch.  Chester wants to play with it but the cat is not interested in playing with an exuberant doodle and hissed at him.  Poor kitty just wanted to rub against my legs.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I really despise teaching writing/composition. I didn't like it my first go round and now I'm going to be doing it 3 more times?! And I'm just now realizing this.

I didn't like it all that much either. It's hard. Some kids really get it and others just don't. At all.

• Like 6

Acadia was fun today.  We went up Cadillac Mountain and ds was doing the stereo-typical whiny teenager thing and dd told him he needed to appreciate the time with family because we were getting older and who knew how much longer we'd be going on family vacations.   Which was kind of funny the way she said it at the time.   

We ended up not hiking much.  The trail started with stairs and some strong uphill slopes and ds's leg started acting up, dh's knee started acting up, dd and I forgot to use our inhalers and started having trouble so we all decided to give up.  We went to the beach and I did end up going in.   Dd loves waves and at first didn't want to go in, but we did some walking in the surf and then were sitting on rocks getting splashed and she gradually worked her way in.  

Tomorrow is our last day.  We're going to a beach really close to the house we are staying at.  We went at the beginning of the week but at high tide and there was no "beach" to speak of.  So we're going tomorrow at low tide.  Dh is going on a fishing trip so it's just the kids and I.  

Saturday we head home.  

• Like 7

We got an alert from our Ring doorbell, which was weird because we had turned off the motion detector while we were away.    Went and watched the camera and it looked like we had snow!  The grassy parts next to our driveway were covered with white and the trees looked like they had snow on them too.  It was the weirdest thing considering they are having heat advisories down there. 

Evidently it was hail.  Some severe thunderstorms had gone through and there was hail. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!

Busy, busy!! I hav 4 family meetings today. Two are way up in the mountains. One is in the Big City. The other was supposed to be in the other Big City, but it’s going to have to be by phone this time. Lots of driving.

Last night one of the football players from DD’s school got seriously injured. We were asleep by the time she got home. I guess it was pretty bad. I hope h’s going to be ok.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Good morning!

Junie, hope your head behaves appropriately today.

73349, has your car arrived yet?

Happy beach day, Toto!

We are all atwitter over dd26 and fiancee's visit this weekend.  They should be here some time early evening.  In the mean time, I need to borrow ds28's car and go to a couple stores for some bird food and ingredients for the dinner dd14 is going to make tomorrow.

I made some good progress on the embroidery project yesterday and it is turning out much better than I expected.  Meanwhile, I have become somewhat addicted to the History channel show "Alone", though fortunately (I guess), there are only two free seasons on Prime and one season on Netflix.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am upset. I had the overdue library book (accruing a fine) in the car yesterday, and when I got to the library I couldn't find it. I had 2 stops first and at one of them, the back door of the car was open as I started to drive away. I think it fell out. Ugh. Now can hope a good person finds it and returns it to the library but unlikely in the areas I stopped. AND it was an interlibrary loan so probably more expensive to replace. Ugh.

And we still haven't found the other overdue book that must be somewhere in the house.

• Sad 5

I only had Oldest do a partial lesson in English today. It's a character sketch assignment. We went through the requirements and the classroom exercise that walks you through how to write a character sketch about David's loyalty to God using scriptures from the book of Samuel. I then told Oldest to write down who he wants to write a character sketch about and which character trait he will be emphasizing. He has the weekend to come up with a list of at least 3 examples which he'll use to write his first draft on Monday. Done. Now it's time to weekend. Yes, I used 'weekend' as a verb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1